Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Hancock and Moore...so many questions!

Default New to Hancock and Moore...so many questions!

Hi all, thank you for this wonderful forum.

We are in the midst of deciding on styles and leather colors for a chair and ottoman...or recliner, and a small sofa for a somewhat small den/tv/reading room off of and open to a larger formal living room. Our home is traditional leaning French Provincial. I just love the Armstrong chair and ottoman and am looking for a small sofa (75 to 80”) to complement the Armstrong. I love an English arm, and am wondering if the two seat Bradley would work with the Armstrong.

We are hoping to find a traditional deep burgundy leather ...without any brown or rust tones. Perhaps glazed blackberry...though while the sample does not appear rusty brown, it may be too berry blue. Overwhelmed with the leather choices!

Navy iwould also work...if the burgundy choices are too brown or too bright red.

Any opinions, suggestions, experience are sincerely appreciated. Thank you!
    Last edited by MacGregor; 04-05-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Default Re: New to Hancock and Moore...so many questions!

Yes, I think the # 1943 Bradley will work well with the Armstrong chair, that's a roomy small sofa and sits well without being fussy.

The "Glazed" Series of leathers are pretty old school - they tend to be a bit stiff and crusty and are kind of a hold-over from the 1990's - I haven't sold a piece in any of the Glazed leathers in a dozen years. I think there are better choices myself.

* Hanson Claret GR 2
    * Aspen Bordeaux GR 2
    * Capri Bordeaux GR 4 < nicest burgundy in the line, however this comes at a significant cost premium

Hope that helps.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you for your expert reply. Appreciate your knowledgeable experience. Lots of informative reading here. Though I love an English arm, there is something about the Bradley two seat that seems off to me...almost a little commercial waiting room! We’ve moved interest now to the Member apt size. Side by side photos seem to work with our favorite Armstrong chair and ottoman. After studying the photos on HM website, finally saw the difference in the style numbers...the leg on the 4106 works best for our needs..but wow the sticker shock from a local store.

And many thanks for your expertise reagrding true burgundy without brown or rusty tones leather suggestions, in particular Aspen Bordeaux. Good to know about the glazed..have crossed that one out! We need a traditional burgundy that works with cool toned taupes, roses, blues.

Many thanks for all the wonderful information and helpful reading here.

I've never thought a Bradley to look "commercial waiting room". It's a pretty nice piece in person, perhaps it was the photograph?

Keep in mind that prices can vary dramatically from one dealer to another. Feel free to fill out a request on the QUOTES page if you like for the price from my store.
    Duane Collie

Yes, I do think it’s likely the photograph because we see the beauty of the full sofa Bradley..and appreciate knowing the two seat is pretty nice in person. Our stores here have just three or four various HM pieces on their floor...but enough to see the differences in quality with other makers! Our last pieces for this room have lasted 24 years, and are still usable, but it’s time.
    Many thanks.

Hi again, In an earlier post (such good reading here) saw the beautiful color of Dream Bordeaux leather on a Greyson recliner, with our same color combinations...red and blue area rug and light taupe walls. Perfect color, at least how it appears on my screen. Wondering your opinion about the grade 2 Dream leathers?

And thanks for suggestion we feel free to fill out a request for quote and delivery. Will do.

Dream is a good hide - no reason for me to not recommend it at all. It's supple, soft, low sheen and has a nice finish to it - good colorways.
    Duane Collie

Thanks much. Just found out that the Bradley sofa and Bradley two seat sofa have been discontinued. I wasn’t certain about the two seat but loved the English arm, and the size was perfect. But it’s not available...so...we’re back to studying styles and measurements for a small, traditional sofa to complement the Armstrong chair and ottoman...Member apt size, or Reserve, but prefer the Member for its leg, arm, and overall.

And still studying leather samples...have samples of Aspen Bordeaux, Dream Bordeaux, Federal Bordeaux, Alberta Wine, Columbia Blackberry. Looking for clear burgundy without brown. So appreciate first hand experience! Saw two unprotected...in the very beautiful Capri and Williamsburg Cranberry, wow...but would like protected. Oh my, the choices!

Even though a frame (or frames) may be dropped, H&M will still make the piece for you as long as they haven't thrown the pattern out. Once the pattern is gone, then you can no longer get the pieces. We just delivered (4) "discontinued" pieces this past Saturday that were ordered after they had been discontinued. After all the model drops 1st of the year, there was quite a surge in folks ordering them and all have been made to date. However we are now in April, so those patterns may go at any time if they are not already.

I had to call H&M today on another order and checked on frames on the # 1943 2-seat Sofa and # 1944 3-seat Sofa. They still have frames for both right now so you are good to order if you like - but don't wait too long. I will be glad to quote for you if you like, it may be at the old 2017 price or it may have small upcharge due to materials cost increases - would have to check.

Alberta Wine is no good - that leather was married cover only and has been dropped - you can throw that swatch away - its useless.
    Williamsburg is actually a finished leather (I know the swatch says its unprotected on the label, but its not) and its not very soft. You buy that leather for a classic look, not for the hand or the drape of the hide.
    Federal is just OK, the government buys that when they order furniture because they always buy Grade 1, but I'd pass on it myself.
    Aspen and Dream are excellent
    Capri is the best hide in the entire line. It's expensive and silky-gorgeous.
    Duane Collie

Many thanks for the wealth of information. Your expert opinions are very helpful.

Wondering...is there a difference between Just in Time and Town and Country promotions? I see different leathers on each...

Lastly, have narrowed the choices to Dream Bordeaux and Aspen Bordeaux. The color of the Dream B seems flatter and a bit plum, and the Aspen a bit more red. There are photos here of each, the Dream Bordeaux in a beautiful photo within the 2017 Just in Time thread (great leather colors reference!) and both work. My question...what is the effect of the dark shading on the Aspen, as opposed to the flatter color effect of the Dream? There is a blackish vein like effect on the Aspen swatch.
    My only concern with Aspen Bordeaux is from a photo on line...it looks orangey in the photo taken in sunlight..but that may just be the photo and/or computer.

Thanks again for all the help. Will submit request for quotes when we have final selections.