Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Hancock and Moore...so many questions!

Default Re: New to Hancock and Moore...so many questions!

T&C is a promotion that has been around a long time. It has more items in it, and is not as aggressive on price as Just in Time, which is designed as a newer, quick-ship promotion.

You really can't delve into colors based on photos - order samples and if you only have a few ask for dealer size 6" x 8" instead of the small 2" x 2" that are normally sent.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Oh I’m using 6 x 8 samples...could never do this with anything smaller. And they’re all beautiful.

I asked two different dealers for that larger sample size and was told no by both, unless it was as a loan of the one they had, and no one was willing to ask H&M for them for me. After I ordered my sofa my sales person gave me one of theirs because she found that they had two.

As I have said before, this is a notoriously low-margin business and they will give you all the 2" x 2" samples you want for the most part. The 6" x 9" ones cost money as they are brass grommeted for dealer handles and they generally do not want to send those. If customers request one or two, its do-able, but not a dozen. Most dealers do not have more than one complete sample ring unless they are high volume.
    Duane Collie

I only asked for one, so I was surprised it was turned down. I wish they had told me the cost, I would have been happy to cover it. But since I ended up getting one it is a mute point. I only mentioned it so people are not surprised if they ask and are turned down.

There is no cost, the dealer just had to request one be sent to you and they are really good about it. The key is to not ask for too many.

I had one person here on the forum that insisted I get then 6" x 9" samples and they wanted forty of them.......and no, they didn't get them.
    Duane Collie

What you describe are the samples I have...6 x 9 with metal grommets at the top. The salesperson took the samples I chose out of the ring, let me take them home and I’ve already exchanged them for others. They did say they sometimes ask for a credit card in case they aren’t returned, but apparently trusted me to borrow them simply asking I bring them back in three or four days. I asked if they get people that don’t return them, and was told ‘all the time’...and apparently a decorator once borrowed several, and left them in the hot sun of her car for weeks...

After eliminating the duds, they’ve let me take more. And will do so again after reading here about Antelope, and may have a look at Capri, too.

Again, thank you for the wealth of information here.
    Last edited by MacGregor; 04-12-2018 at 07:41 PM.

90% of samples don't get returned to my store - it's just a fact. Some customers steal them when you tell them you have to order them one - so my floor sample rings are locked and impossible to separate without tools. But that's good for customers, not bad - because it assures anyone who comes in I have one complete set in its entirety, which is a rarity among dealers. Most stores have about 70% of their handles correct. I'm at 100% as long as H&M has the swatches to send me. I update my rack every two months, too, which takes about 90 minutes to check them all off and order missing ones.

I have a second handle set I keep at my desk in my office so I can review leathers over the phone when customers call me. That one is usually around 90%.

Then I have third handle set that I keep in the back as loaner swatches. It's at about 50% because like I say, customers don't usually return samples so its in a constant state of missing several - though I reorder them from time to time.

Capri is Wonderful - Antelope in my opinion - is overpriced for a GR 4 leather. It's a finished hide, and the paint is applied very thin to keep it supple. However if you are going to pay a GR4 price, you can get a world class leather such as Capri instead of one that is finished. Also look at the Wade series. It's a GR3 which makes it 20% or so less in cost than a GR4, and though it has limited colorways, it's almost as nice as Capri for less money.
    Duane Collie

Wow...What a shame that 90% of samples aren’t returned...I can’t imagine doing that...would be disappointing to find what I suspected would be just what we’re looking for, drive all the way to the H and M dealer to borrow the sample..a long, difficult drive and horrific traffic, only to find the sample missing because someone stole it.

Browsing the ring at the store, I did see Capri and wow...beautiful...but didn’t ask to borrow due to fear of unprotected, and cost for three pieces.

When loaning out those leather samples, some businesses require a potential customer leave his or her credit card information. The samples are allowed out on loan for a few days, only, and if not returned by the deadline, the credit card is charged a sample replacement fee. Seems fair.

TXCajun

MacGregor, I just noticed in one of your earlier posts that you mentioned the credit card policy, as well. I apologize for posting duplicate information.