Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capri Bordeaux

Default Capri Bordeaux

After reading so many incredible descriptions of H&M Capri leather, I’m about to rethink our burgundy leather choices.

Saw Capri Bordeaux in the samples at the store...beautiful, but due to concerns about “unprotected” and cost for what will be three pieces of furniture, didn’t sign out the 6 x 9 sample but should have...and plan to do so.

Need to ask for help understanding unprotected leather correctly...as opposed to protected...what to expect re general wear, and the eventual patina.

We do have a dog, and she likes to curl up on our current sofa...though I keep washable throws over her favorite places, as well as a fabric cushion dog bed.

I did see what the salesperson called an unprotected leather sofa on their sales floor...and the leather was pretty battered. No patina, just a lot of scratches and scrapes. She said customers scratch it all the time to see how it reacts. It was a mess. But there is very little body contact or life on it...just fingers and hands moving over it to see how it responds...

We appreciate all the help we’ve received here. Thank you.
    Last edited by MacGregor; 04-13-2018 at 01:54 AM.

Default Re: Capri Bordeaux

As I have said before, "Capri is when you want to treat yourself". it's Velvety leather that is smoother and more luxurious than probably any leather you have seen prior. It comes out of Germany, from a tannery that normally supplies to the high end handbag makers like Chanel, Louis Vuitton, etc. It's a naked leather - as pure as leather gets from the best European Steer Hides.

It's like buying a Rolex watch. Do you NEED a Rolex? No you don't. If you buy the Rolex, are you going to worry about it all the time that it may get marked or a scratch on it? If so, then you should buy something less costly because you won't enjoy the ownership of it. That doesn't mean you should abuse it, but if you use it - like any product - its going to show wear over time.

And Capri is not inexpensive. Using this as an example, H&M grades work pretty much close to percentage in steps.

Let's say we have a GR 1 sofa that sells for $ 3,000
    GR 2 is appx 15% higher than GR 1: $ 3,450
    GR 3 is appx 15% higher than GR 2: $ 3,968
    GR 4 is appx 20% higher than GR 3: $ 4,761 < Capri
    GR 5 is appx 22% higher than GR 4: $ 5,808

All that is varying in the above scenario is the cover. Is Capri worth a $ 1,761 premium over the GR 1 Chinese Finished leather? For some it is, others it is not. Longevity is essentially the same on all the leathers. You can buying a look and a feel and its tangible on both. For more on leather, read this thread: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-FORUM-lt-READ

You know, one of my pet peeves is people that come in and dig their nails into the leather floor models and then drag their hands to see if they can scratch the hide. I don't understand that. You can create an incredible amount of pressure with fingernails, if people were to walk up to a person and drag their nails across another's forearm they can cut through the dermis and draw blood easily. No different on a cowhide, except the leather can't heal because the cow is ...well....dead. When you come into MY store and pull that trick, I will ask you to stop it, and if you want to scratch up leather I'll go get samples from the back and you can have at it. It doesn't really prove anything however, do people sit around at home at night and dig into their leather sofas with their nails? Would they test the new car at the dealership to see how strong the paint is with their car keys? I don't think so....

Certain leathers are designed to show Color Bursts from Pressure - they're call Pull Up leathers and they are wax-infused. Pressure moves the wax and causes a lighter spot we call a color burst, which many refer to as "that leather scratches". It shows me that client doesn't understand leather and they are probably going to be happiest with a basic sanded, embossed, and painted Chinese leather. The best pull-ups come out of Italy, in the Milan region - they have it down and while some South American tanneries try to mimic them they just can't beat the masters in Italy, who have been doing it for generations. In the trade, we call those Pull-ups "Real Leather".

I had a couple in the store the other day and they didn't like the pressure marks on a Cameo Burnished sofa. I explained what they were looking at - went behind the counter and grabbed some hand lotion - and massaged it into the "scratches" which make them all disappear. All I did was replace some the wax infusion moved by the scratching of a person with a moisturizer....

So there's a few more data points for you.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Your expert knowledge and willingness to share, and your time, is sincerely appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by MacGregor; 04-17-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Still reading and learning here. And was given a 6 x 9 sample of Capri Bordeaux...it is amazing. We’ve narrowed choices to Luggage Blackberry...beautiful color and looks wonderful in the room...wondering if it’s considered pull up? Dream Bordeaux...very nice color also...more plum than burgundy, and practically perfect Capri Bordeaux...

Would love to hear any opinion on Luggage.

Have had to change plans in styles for a small sofa and chair. The Armstrong chair and ottoman...lovely, but will not work for our needs after all. At 17 inches, the inside seat is a bit narrow. However, unexpectedly found a Sullivan swivel off by itself at the end of a row of big recliners on a store floor and wow...the workmanship...exquisite...in particular the roll (not sure the professional term) at the top of the back...very visible and looks so good as the chair swivels, as it will in our angled placement with other pieces. And the front bottom...very nice. Immediately thought wow...where’s this been? So pretty.

And read on the forum that in the apt size sofas, either the Reserve or the Member has more lean to the back, making it perhaps less comfy than the other. Saw helpful comparison photos taken side by side of each. So need to think about that, or find another...

All the reading and ability to research here is invaluable.

Thanks for everything...the forum, the straight answers, the photos...
    Last edited by MacGregor; 04-17-2018 at 05:26 PM.

I see on a four year old thread/reply that Luggage is considered too slick and overpriced for what it is... a gr 4 painted leather. Good to know. This forum provides invaluable helpful research.

H&M website photo and info entry for the Sullivan swivel chair indicates there is also a Sullivan ottoman, but no photo, and it isn’t listed in the Ottoman products pages...not that I could find.
    Last edited by MacGregor; 04-19-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Yes, I would personally not spend Grade 4 money on the Luggage series of leather, I think it's pricey for what it is.

H&M rarely puts photos out on companion ottomans - best resource is probably here in the photos section for stuff like that. I try to photograph a lot of the small stuff like that.
    Duane Collie

Thanks. Appreciate all the help. If I can pester you with two more questions as we decide...

Saw your post to a customer of awhile ago comparing the City, Reserve and Member...re the difference in back lean in one over the other, with your side by side photos taken from the side of each clearly illustrating the lean. I think it’s the back of the Reserve that leans a bit more. With that in mind, we’re deciding between the Member and the Anderson.

In your experience, is there a comfort difference between the Member apt size and The Anderson, and is there a comfort benefit in the Anderson’s high back? And ideal cushion choices? We like that the Anderson has an inch or two more length while not going over 80 inches...the most we can have, in addition to its overall look.
    Thank you so much.
    Last edited by MacGregor; 04-19-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Sorry, I really can't address that as I don't have the Anderson in my store and its been a couple of years since I sat on one. The only way I can really do compare and contrasts is if they are both in front of me.
    Duane Collie

I appreciate your reply. We’re getting there!

Everyone that sees the samples in the house likes Hansen Claret...from original suggestions along with Capri B etc. Did a search here, you have a photo of Hansen Claret on a recliner...beautiful. Oh my...