Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comfortable Recliner

Default Comfortable Recliner

I have been looking for a very comfortable power recliner (if your fall to sleep on it you don't need Advil to get through the day) for our bedroom where we also have a large screen TV. Most of our furniture is contemporary. Very difficult to find a quality recliner in the style we want. We did look a Palliser that had decent quality (sinuous springs, no elastic webbing, decent leather). Today we looked at Hancock and Moore. Quality seemed excellent (2x the price of the Palliser), but styling was not what we wanted. I do see one model in their catalog (7116-S Anya Swivel Lounger) that is a fairly simple style. What is your thoughts on Palliser and Hancock and Moore recliners and do you have any other recommendations on recliners. Thx!

Default Re: Comfortable Recliner

Nobody makes a better recliner than Hancock and Moore. But "better" doesn't translate into "more comfortable". It has to do with design execution and details such as trimming and padding, or pulling leather tight. All recliners are built around a mechanism, with the top mechanisms being Leggett and Platt or Ultramech. Once you accept that the entire spring structure is built into these mechanisms you will understand that they are all using essentially the same foundation for the builds (if in those two brands). After that, its foam, cushions, pitch angles in the frame, dimensional variations and style motifs.

Bang for the buck its difficult to beat Bradington Young on motion recliners. They specialize in that, and their motion (I think) is excellent value - I'll put their $ 1,500 recliner up against anyone's in the same price point. They also use Leggett and Platt / Ultramech mechanisms.

I have not looked at a Palliser motion piece in years and as such cannot comment on that brand.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks for the advice. I did see one Bradington Young and i liked the feel and mechanism. Unfortunately, the seat back height was too low for me. I didn't know they had a $1500.00 dollar recliner. Could you provide some power models in that approx. price range. I also have a question. Everyone says you must try the model you are going to buy, but regardless of brand, I am having lots of difficulty finding a retail store that has a model I want to try. Is the best way to find a any model you are comfortable with, then ask (on this forum) whether the model I am considering compares to the one I sat in?

I have lots of customers that purchase without testing the pieces in person. It can be hard to find floor samples. Having said that - lots of our forum members have done this - put a post out asking if they were happy buying sight unseen?

Here's their Quick Ship, Married Cover program with the prices from my store - current as of this date (delivery fees additional via 3rd party delivery company of your choice). These are specific leathers on certain frames to get these prices. Most dealers DO NOT HAVE THESE LEATHERS. B-Y for some reason doesn't like to put them on the sample handles they supply to the dealers, so you pretty much have to order swatches via mail and wait a few days for them to arrive. In BY World, the digit after the dash denotes the colorway.

-8x is brown
    -6x is burgundy
    -9x is black / grey
    etc...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7552.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	10808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7553.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	10809
    Duane Collie

My apologies for hijacking.. essentially the same interest but without power.

Are each of the models on your list made in the US?

Any difference in overall comfort from the 4104 (down cushion) vs the other models using HR foam?

Debating between Bradington and Hancock, but doesn't appear I can get into Hancock for under $2k. Just want something comfortable that will reasonably last 8-12 years if it's not abused.

FWIW, I bought a BY recliner from Duane having never sat in it, and I slept in it for 6 weeks after my daughter was born (she would not sleep at night anywhere but on me so we slept together in the recliner). It was the 4114 model from the screenshot, same style as the Woodbridge 1021 recliner from H&M.

I was/am happy with it, it meets my needs and is comfortable enough for sleeping. I needed something fast and not really expensive so I took what Duane had in stock so I could get it delivered within a week. I kind of wish I had gotten a better leather on it, I think the one I bought is the basic grade 1 equivalent but it is still pretty decent.

Afterwards I also bought a H&M Woodbridge recliner (used) since my wife wanted one after trying out mine. They are the same design but comparing side by side you can see the H&M is a bit better quality. Things are just a bit tighter, lines are straighter, nails more aligned, etc. Personal choice if the extra price is worth it to you.

CelestialD Guest

It seems to be difficult to find a comfy, attractive recliner. We have looked for comfortable power leather recliners at many stores in various parts of the USA whenever we have visited an area. We have found that even chairs that appear similar in style vary greatly in comfort depending on the manufacturer. So, we have decided to refrain from ordering recliners unless we have personally inspected and "sit-tested" the item. We have not been able to personally view ANY H&M or BY chairs, so we probably won't choose those brands. So far, we have found all of the recliners from the Comfort Design manufacturer to be uniformly comfortable, but we are having trouble finding a cost-effective online seller due to high shipping charges to the Pacific NW area. Also, we are not finding reviews of reliability and build of this Klaussner spinoff brand. Any advice?

Just an observation.....

I have right now, (17) recliners on the floor from Hancock and Moore, Bradington-Young, and Taylor King. I also have (3) Tilt Back chairs and ottomans plus (2) Motion Sofas. There are folks that come in and sit in every one of them and declare them all "uncomfortable". Out of (23) motion pieces they try out - from the top industry brands - they fail to find one acceptable. I just have to scratch my head and wonder what is it they are looking for? I go try them all out and they all feel good to me! Certain ones fit me better than others, but that's mostly because of body size. Then they may say to me "Have anything better than these?" and I think "That's like going to Baskin Robbins and you sample all the flavors and still can't find an ice cream to put on your cone". To me, all the ice cream is pretty good!
    Duane Collie

It sound like you have already decided and you only want information on this one brand that Duane does not sell. You might try the Gardenweb Forums.

Does Hancock and Moore have any quick ship with married covers on these models:

3047-PR Acclaim Power Recliner
    7116-S Anya Swivel Lounger
    7118-S Oscar Swivel Lounger

Thanks.