Thread: Discoloration / lightening of leather on Portfolio Tobacco Sundance Sofa

Jabra Guest

Default Discoloration / lightening of leather on Portfolio Tobacco Sundance Sofa

Cheers community. I have an puzzling issue on the arm of our Hancock and Moore Sundance sofa in Portfolio Tobacco. I noticed the other day a light discolored areas on the arm of our sofa. I am not aware of any chemicals, abuse, cleaning agents, etc being used on the arm. At first I thought it was a reflection from the patio door, then thought maybe it needed a cleaning, I used just a little leather cleaner and a microfiber rag and it didn't change it a bit. The texture feels the same as the rest of the leather, it's just lighter/blotchy. Anyone know what caused this, is there any recommended fix? I sent Hancock and Moore the picture as well, I am awaiting any feedback from them. Recommended a more aggressive cleaner, conditioner, or does H&M have any specific restoring color products specific to color match portfolio tobacco? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30742999_10156389261699673_5877478129701748736_n.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	10822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30742999_10156389261699673_5877478129701748736_n.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	10822

Default Re: Discoloration / lightening of leather on Portfolio Tobacco Sundance Sofa

Something seems to have removed the color. The circular area kind of looks like someone rested a cup or glass there. I wouldn't think any common drinks would be able to remove the color of the leather, though. Interested to hear what might have caused this.

Default Re: Discoloration / lightening of leather on Portfolio Tobacco Sundance Sofa

I agree, a cup or glass (possibly hot coffee?) was set on the leather arm and damaged the finish. Portfolio is a finished leather so you can have it re-coated (painted) by a leather furniture restored if you like. Most can do it in-home and would charge around $ 200.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Duane, If this were to happen on an unfinished leather, what would be the recourse ?

Jabra Guest

Great, thanks everyone for the feedback. I contacted Hancock and Moore and they said they were sending me a bottle of touch up. Is anyone familiar with this? Do you think the touchup will be an acceptable repair, or should I just find a leather furniture restorer. Any online resources to find reputable repairers?

Touch up will be a mistake, the area is too large. If you had a orange-sized blemish on the hood of your car and tried to fix it with brush-on touch-up it would be like that. Touch-up is for small areas like a welt trim abrasion or a minor scratch. Your entire arm will have to be recoated, just like fixing that hood on that car - you have to do the whole panel.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.