Thread: H&M Pillows

Default H&M Pillows

I am a little afraid to ask given the prices I saw on your stickey post from 2010, lol, but I am a little confused about how leather pillows are priced. If I ordered a grade 2 leather in a program sofa, and I want an ottoman in a grade 5 leather, and 2 pillows to match in the same grade 5 leather, the price is 690.00/pr msrp for a pair of pillows in a grade 5 leather, usually actually sold at 50% of that, so 360.00 for a pair of pillows. OK, that makes me swallow a bit hard, lol, but here is what I don't understand. It says "When the pillows are in a higher grade than the sofa, the increase IS 45.00 per pair/per grade". Does that mean that because it is 3 grades higher than the sofa, I would need to add 3 x 45.00, or 135.00, to the 690.00 price (845.00) and then take 50% off (412.50) , or add 135.00 to the 50% 0ff price of 360.00 for a total of 495.00 for a pair of pillows?

I also rememberr seeing a chart somewhere here about what it costs to buy just the leather from H&M, but lost the link, if you have it handy. Otherwise, I will keep looking and I am sure I will find it eventually.

Thanks.

Default Re: H&M Pillows

Pillows don't come on many sofas as standard, so use the a' la cart pricing. Those upgrade calculations are only applicable when the sofa already comes with pillows.

Leather by the hide / square foot is terribly costly and you have to figure in yield loss and that varies by leather. I do not recommend buying leathers by the square foot from H&M unless you have to match something you already have. EBay has way better prices on small lots of leather for pillows, etc.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Oh, Ok, that makes more sense. So the price is the price given for grade 5 leather standard pillows minus whatever discount from MSRP the store gives. Since I would be looking to match the leather on the ottoman if I get it, Ebay really isn't an option. But I suppose these prices being 8 years old, would mean prices have likely gone even higher. I suppose I should figure on a minimum of 360.00 per pair and maybe more. I will have to get prices and see if adding the embossed leather design into pillows on the sofa is worth the cost. The leather I am considering is the cayman, which is not a soft leather, so the reason for getting them is more for looks than comfort. I am concerded about putting my bare feet and legs on an uprotected leather over time and what the oil from skin will do to it. I am more concerned about that type of staining than food or drinks. But I really love the look of the ottoman with the embossed leather. I think matching pillows would be pretty.

I would have no concerns using embossed leathers like that, none at all.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I like using fabric pillows on my leather sofa to give a pop of color for the room since the leathers are often darker tones. Personal preference of course.

Sorry, duplicate post.

Thanks, I have been worrying about how I am going to bring in some color. Rug, drapes, wall color and throws are all part of it of coarse, but pillows are a great way to go as well. Of coarse I could do both leather and colorful fabric pillows, but considering how expsensive the pillows are, it might be a shame to have them only partially showing. These leathers are dark, so even though the wood floor is light, I am concerned about not making it too dark and colorless over all. I am already worrying about what I will do for a recliner in a year or two, lol. A matching dark leather in another piece might really be too much. If you have suggestions for colors to go with this I am certainly open to ideas, lol. I love the original taupe version of the pattern, and if it was still available I would be very temped to go with that instead. I did read some place, though, that Duane did not recommend going with an ottoman in a lighter color than the sofa. That doesn't leave many options when the sofa is so dark. Almost anything else will be lighter.
    Last edited by SueCT; 04-19-2018 at 10:45 PM. Reason: typo

Yeah I think fabric pillows would be more comfortable to actually use too, but maybe a high grade leather would be soft and supple enough... I would worry about puddling from it being stretched if you used them. Duane I am sure has more experience if that is a legitimate concern.

For colors it kind of depends on the rest of the room but I like to look for lighter well-saturated colors, like a yellow, red, light green, or maybe lilac. Orange could work depending on the furniture, rugs, paint. If you don't want something that bright, could go cream, or even like a purple, burgundy, or hunter green has a nice contrast. My house is more of a comfortable style than formal style, so just really depends what you like.

Thank you so much for all your suggestions!