Thread: Bench Cushion Sofa

BostonEd Guest

Default Bench Cushion Sofa

I have been considering buying a sofa or sectional with a bench cushion (Taylor King Gramercy). As I usually lie down on the sofa I think this is a good option. My concern is that eventually the cushion will will dip and form to where weight is usually applied. I know rotating and flipping the cushion will help prevent some of this but is there a particular cushion construction I should be considering for a bench cushion to help maintain its shape? Are there any other concerns I should take into account for a single cushion as opposed to multiple cushion seating?

Thanks - Ed

Default Re: Bench Cushion Sofa

Hi Ed,

Any single bench cushion from any maker in any cushion format (Down, Marshall Unit, HR Foam, etc.,) is going is going to exhibit shape deformation more so than say (3) separate cushions and that's just the nature of spanning a long run with a single cushion. The HR Foam will maintain the shape the best, however it won't be as comfortable as a form of down blend core. I personally don't mind seeing a little rumpling of the cushion, because when I do it tells me its a quality piece. HR Foam done to a hard density might keep the shape, but it can also look hotel-room-ism and not be the best to actually enjoy with use.

I have always had a single cushion sofa in my living room (and do today) and simply give it a 10 second fluff up as it's a spring down unit that has to be I guess at least fifteen-years-old now. Here's a photo of my daughter sitting on it this past Christmas. Overall its held its shape very well over a decade and a half, and I expect to never have to replace the core.

I would get the TK Gramercy with the Catalina Down Cushion which is normally a $ 160 to $ 200 upgrade. If you order from The Keeping Room, it's no extra charge as its one of the perks I get from them as a high volume stocking dealer. Just be sure to ask for it at time of order. Standard cushion is the Prestige XL, otherwise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg 
Views:	559 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	10855
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BostonEd Guest

Default Re: Bench Cushion Sofa

Thanks for your input Duane. It's very helpful.