Thread: Reupholstering a Leather Chair

lizoshea Guest

Default Reupholstering a Leather Chair

can you recvommend reupholstering a model 7007 harbison from 1995, thr leather is cracking & dirty Thank you

Sorry, once the leather is shot on on a chair, its not cost-effective to reupholster in leather, however you may want to do it in a fabric cover.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by lizoshea View Post
    can you recvommend reupholstering a model 7007 harbison from 1995, thr leather is cracking & dirty Thank you

I'm not sure what the costs for reupholstery are in New Jersey, but here in North Carolina they have come way down in the last year. I spoke with a top notch reupholsterer this morning and was told that his price for reupholstering a typical liviing room chair with loose cushions is currently $400. A recliner would be $500. Of course you would have to buy the leather yourself. Down here leather can cost anywhere between $2 to $7 per square foot at retail and you would need about 150 square feet for a typical chair. Duane can probably give you a better idea of how much leather is needed for your particular chair.

I have trouble finding an upholsterer who has the equipment in N. VA to sew leather (it requires heavier-duty machinery than fabric). Even if you do find someone to do it, you have to buy a number of hides and factor in waste per hide as well. Typically an entry level hide (class 1) in H&M (such as Columbia) averages 52 s.f. of leather and costs $ 10.50 per s.f. Your chair model requires 180 s.f. so that's roughly 4 hides @ $ 1,890 just for the leather! The foam is likely in need of replacement if you're going to spend that much, and cores as well. Springs need to be re-tied, too. You'll wind up with a $ 3,000 to $ 3,500 job I'm afraid - more than you can buy a new (similar) H&M chair for.

Sorry, its used up. Best to donate it to charity and get a tax write-off or consider doing in an inexpensive fabric.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.