Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taylor King Custom Frame and Cushion Core Choices

QualityQuest Guest

Default Taylor King Custom Frame and Cushion Core Choices

Wow. That sounds like an impossible task.

Do you have any advice re. choosing depth (standard, plush or continental) and cushions (Prestige XL or FM, Catalina down or Spring down)?

Thank you, Duane.

QualityQuest Guest

Default Re: Taylor King Portfolio Fabric List Update?

I just read your posting on the subject of TK cushions:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...atalina+taylor

For seat cushions it sounds like you prefer Prestige FM. How does Catalina Down compare to Prestige FM?

Do you prefer the Posh Down or Elite Back for back cushions? Can you specify what type of back cushions you want through the Taylor Made program? Thanks.

It all comes down to personal preference. Myself, I'm not a big "Sink-into, Plush guy" I almost always prefer a firmer sit. Anything with the Down is going to be more plush than standard foam and fiberfill. Yes, you can get any cushion cores in Taylor Made / Portfolio, though the Down units will have upcharges.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

QualityQuest Guest

Duane,

I visited a Taylor King dealer recently to look at sofas. The store also sells Sherrill and Temple. They were really pushing Temple and said that all 3 brands are of similar construction and quality. A few questions:

1. Am I correct that Taylor King and Sherrill are a step above Temple in terms of quality?

2. You wrote that a natural blend fabric is often the best choice in terms of hand, etc. I looked at the dealer's TK fabric options and MANY are 100% polyester, high percentage of rayon, etc. The vast majority of them seemed to be 100% synthetic. I saw one that is 100% cotton (feels like velvet) and a couple of cotton and linen blend fabrics.

What is your opinion of 100% cotton or a cotton/linen blend for a sofa?

Does TK offer any natural fiber blends in their portfolio program that you think would be worth considering?

3. The sofa brands currently under consideration are TK, Sherrill, Century and Stickley. Is it possible to rank them in terms of quality within a certain budget (say $2,000-4,000, admittedly a large range)?

Thanks, Duane. Not sure if this is the right thread to ask these questions, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I don't really like to do brand "Ratings" because I would have to have a cutaway of their units to properly assess each one. I did carry Temple many, many years ago, They were decent enough, but at the time a rather un-exciting line with average build and tailoring, a little lax on cushion choices, but that was 20 years ago so they may have changed. I've seen their showroom at the High Point Market but didn't see anything that make me want to re-up the line. Sherrill always makes a nice piece of furniture - you won't go wrong with that or Taylor King (or probably Temple for that matter), Century or Stickley. Get a frame style you like, a price point that is acceptable and any of those makers should work out well

Yes, Poly fabrics are the rage right now because EVERYONE wants Cryton or Sunbrella fabrics and at a entry level grade price - so high content Polyester gives them that. Blends of natural fibers tend to kick you up several grades in price. I prefer some natural content in fabrics I buy for myself, and am usually willing to pay more for it (many people are not). TK has a number of blends in their Portfolio program, but I don't recall specific fabrics and would have to research it.
    Duane Collie

QualityQuest Guest

Nice to see that I'm not the only night owl :-)

Did you post elsewhere on the forum that a sofa seat height for someone who is 5'4" or below should ideally be 17"-18"? If so, would the TK seat height of 21.5" in the portfolio program standard size be too high for someone that size? Or can that seat height be reduced within the portfolio program (and by how much) by using different legs than the ones that make the standard seat height 21.5"?

The sofa being replaced is a very old Crate & Barrel sofa that has a seat height of 17" and an inside depth that is WAY too deep at 27".

Thanks so much.

QualityQuest Guest

Btw, there are other people who use the sofa as well (ranging from a 5'10", 145 lb. guy to a 6', 210 lb guy), but the primary user is a 5'4" woman. Thanks.

At 5' 4" if I were custom-building you a sofa, my target dimensions would be SH 18 - 19", SD of 19", BH of 34 to 36".

Taylor King will build to suit, however there will be custom charges.
    Duane Collie

QualityQuest Guest

1. Would a sofa with those dimensions feel cramped for someone who is 5'10"? If so, would you suggest a different set of dimensions that would fit someone who is 5'4" but also someone who is 5'10"?

2. Would changing any of the dimensions take you outside of the Taylor King Portfolio program? If so, is it possible to get a rough idea of how much more expensive it would be to customize it vs. staying within the Portfolio program?

Thanks, Duane.

Yes, what fits a 5'4" person doesn't fit a 5' 10" individual. Go with the standard specs for 5"10 to 6' 2" or so.

You will always pay for a custom frame mod, from any maker (those that will even accommodate you request). It will take you out of their promotional programs which are designed to a price point to be non-custom.

I would have to have your specs and model number to work up pricing. Once thing I have learned is to never speculate on custom pricing as there is always someone that wants you to hold to it your best guess.
    Duane Collie