Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chesterfield

Default Chesterfield

Hi All, Anyone familiar with H&M’s 8372 Chesterfield? I do understand comfort is subjective, but have heard some Chesterfields are known for comfort, while some simply are not...so...wondering about H&M’s in particular? Can’t really imagine anything of H&M would be uncomfortable though...
    The beautiful Hennessy is just too big for us, but the smaller size of the 8372...perfect, and timeless...

Many thanks!

Default Re: Chesterfield

I have one of the Kent Chesterfields in the store and try to keep one on the floor all the time, because they DO sit great and surprise folks who think they don't. Now, keep in mind you have a low back height on these - but if you are good with all that they are terrific sitting sofas because you can rest your arm on one while reading, etc. Perfect back height for that. I think they are idea for libraries and smaller spaces. Large rooms with high ceilings they can get a little lost in, visually.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks, Duane, and that’s just what this room is...a small library/den-like room. Small as it is, friends gravitate to that space in the house because it’s comfy for chatting with beautiful warmth. I can see that it would get lost in our formal living room...your pointing that out makes this small space seem all the more suitable.

Have been passing over the Chesterfields in the catalog as every one I’ve ever seen in person has been very, very long. Just caught the 77 inches...

There was something about the Kent...I can’t remember, but the numbers of the 8372 were better, tad lower arm and higher seat maybe. Do they sit the same?
    Appreciate your point re the lower back...yet perfect for reading etc.

Thank you.

I have the 8372 and, at 5'10" find it very comfortable. Wife is 5'4" and feels the same. We also have a small room and are totally happy with our choice. The arms taper slightly towards the front which I think add to the comfort.

Hi, Thanks very much, Lloyd. So the arms taper slightly lower in front than the back? Glad to know it does that as I can’t tell from the catalog photo and think a slight tapering probably makes it look even better. And adds to comfort, as you mentioned.

I’ve been looking at the 8372 and the 8172...and other than the middle foot, an inch lower seat height, and buttons along the front bottom, can’t see much difference between the two, but for some reason I like 8372 better.

Do you recall if you have standard cushions?

And have read here in the forum that down isn’t recommended for back tufting, as down tends to collapse...not sure what is standard on the various Chesterfields or what choices there are, if any, when ordering...and what is recommended...

Thanks again for your sharing your experience. Very helpful.
    Last edited by MacGregor; 05-18-2018 at 01:46 AM.

Just checked, the arm is about two inches lower in the front. Very subtle but nice. We have the standard cushions. It was an eight hour round trip just to see and sit in a H&M chesterfield style sofa, no showroom ever mentioned upgrading the cushions. Duane would be the authority on that topic.

No cushioning upgrades on tufted chesterfields, those are for core-type pieces only.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

This is very helpful as hadn’t noticed in the photos, many thanks Lloyd. Just what we prefer too...the subtle taper will work with our other things too.

We have the Chesterfield loveseat (6172, we have the sleeper version 6171), a bit different than the sofa because the bottom cushion is tufted also. It is very comfortable, the only caveat like Duane mentioned is the half-height back so you don't have anything to lean your head back on. We have ours free-standing in the room and it is great for that since it is short. The loveseat is big enough for two people to sit comfortably, and that is where a lot of our guests sit when they come over.

I would definitely buy another one if I am looking for a small comfortable couch for a library or study area, like you mentioned.

Unlike the Kent and 8173, the 8372 that we like has a three cushion seat, and they aren’t tufted.
    Last edited by MacGregor; 05-19-2018 at 10:44 PM.