Thread: Anyone familiar with Bradington Young Gallaway

Default Anyone familiar with Bradington Young Gallaway

I was able to see the Gallaway and found it to be comfortable. I also saw the Roswell which I thought I liked when looking at in online but it ends up i like the Gallaway better after seeing each. Is anyone familiar with the Gallaway and can you share your feedback regarding construction quality if yes. Should I be concerned about use of laminated as described: "The frame is engineered from the finest multi-ply, 7/8 inch laminated hardwood components that are precision machined for an exact fit. Mortise and Tenon joints are reinforced with cross-banding to create frames with superior dimensional stability".

I'm going to check one more store to see if I can find the Kara. I have the same questions for it as I asked above for the Gallaway

Thankyou

Default Re: Anyone familiar with Bradington Young Gallaway

Construction standards are the same across the B-Y lineup, and they all are built around either Leggett and Platt or Universal Mech recliner mechanisms so essentially you are buying a style and comfort factor from one unit to another in the line. B-Y is a 100% plywood company whereas Hancock and Moore is solid maple and we all know that solid wood is more rigid. More rigidity in a recliner is better, you want them as stiff as possible. No one in the industry build a better or stronger recliner than Hancock and Moore, but they will be on average 25% to 30% more in price, too.

How important is that? Well I own both brands of recliners in my own home and have for years. Can I tell a difference? Yes I can - however it's perhaps not one you are willing to pay for. For some it is, for some it is not. My H&M recliner are rock-solid (oldest one was bought in 1986 so it's now 32 years old). My oldest B-Y is currently 16 years old and had more flex in it than that three-decade-old Hancock and Moore. However, more flex doesn't mean it's failing - because its not.

I have sold thousands of recliners over the years. I have only ever seen one frame failure in all those thousands of units and that recliner was totally abused by the owner and he would have destroyed any brand.

Most recliners get damaged ove time from failure of the owner to take steps to maintain the leather. Severe sun damage from UV rays, and failure to clean and condition the hide regularly are the primary causes. Mechanism failures are usually caused by people not operating the units correctly, such as getting in and out of the recliners without full closing them (I see this every week as people try out recliners in my store), kids wrestling in the recliners when they are extended, people moving them from room to room when they are extended, people sitting on the footrests when extended (more an issue with power recliners), slamming them closes and that sort of thing. I can get a lifetime of use out of my recliners simply by avoiding those situations.

I would not be too concerned about construction variances - get the style you like and price point that is comfortable for you. Pay attention to the care and use and you will be fine.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.