Thread: Sectional for under $3000?

Default Sectional for under $3000?

Hi everybody! I've been reading for some time and I have to admit that of all the purchases I've tried to study up on before making, furniture has been by far the most problematic to get educated on! So, hopefully I can get some help here.

My wife and I are just beginning to look at our options. We recently bought a new house and we need to fill our great room. It's 21'x20' with 11' ceiling, so it's a fairly good size room. Our current couch and love seat are dwarfed in it, not to mention they are more than 15 years old and weren't expensive to begin with, so it's time to replace them. I'd just like to accomplish two things; 1) Get an idea of what I can expect for the money I'm willing to spend. 2) Get some suggestions on brands to consider or definitely stay away from.

Right now we're leaning toward the idea of a sectional. Trying to get at least 5 seating positions, but prefer more. Chase is optional. We have a 3 year old boy with a baby on the way, no pets. We'd like to get 15 - 20 years out of this if possible. Our goal is to get something with a good frame that can take the torture of young kids, sits fairly firm (wife doesn't want something she sinks down into and never wants to gets up), and has low maintenance. Again, our budget is $3000.

That's about all I can think of at this time. Thanks for the help and advice! I appreciate your patience with this newbie.

Nate
    Last edited by nate_m; 05-21-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Default Re: Sectional for under $3000?

I think that with a $ 3K budget for a sectional and expecting to get 15 to 20 years out of it is unrealistic. Point by Point:

* $ 3K buys you an import and in that price range it will usually fail in under 5 years.

* Even with a $ 5K Sectional in fabric, you will have to recover at appx the 10-year mark. That will cost (projected) about $ 3K for the recovering in today's dollars.

* You will have to go leather to get that kind of lifespan. $ 6K to $ 9K to get a decent one.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Sectional for under $3000?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I think that with a $ 3K budget for a sectional and expecting to get 15 to 20 years out of it is unrealistic. Point by Point:

* $ 3K buys you an import and in that price range it will usually fail in under 5 years.

* Even with a $ 5K Sectional in fabric, you will have to recover at appx the 10-year mark. That will cost (projected) about $ 3K for the recovering in today's dollars.

* You will have to go leather to get that kind of lifespan. $ 6K to $ 9K to get a decent one.
    Thanks Duane, that's what I was looking for. The budget is what is. Just knowing that I have no choice but to go with an import is a good information.