Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Living Room Furniture & Layout help please

Default Need Living Room Furniture & Layout help please

Hi Duane,
    Thank you so much for this very helpful forum. We want to replace our old couches, please recommend which HM Sofa or Sectional would work in our space. Our living room is 17x21 (see photos). We pretty much live in this room. It’s the only room we have that is not the bedrooms or the kitchen. We have two boys (10 &14). A small dog. We home school our kids in this room, work, hang out, watch movies, eat here sometimes and friends gather here as well. We like to stretch out on our sofa to read, watch a movie or take a nap. My husband is 6’4”. I know that we would like at least a Gr 2 unprotected leather. Please give us some ideas of what you think will look great & functional in this room. Thank you so much for your help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	10953 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	10954 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.5.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	10955
    I don't know why the pictures are upside down
    Last edited by red007; 05-28-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Default Re: Need Living Room Furniture & Layout help please

If you like the current style of your couches, check out the September sofa as it looks similar. Also, all of your photos are upside down, if you want to fix them.

Hi Danw99, How do I fix the pictures?

You have to edit your photos before you post them, most camera phone have rotation / cropping built into the phone.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	10956Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.5.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	10957Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	10958

In looking at your photos, I would go with a sectional rather than having a sofa/loveseat with the arms bumping up to one another. A track-arm style will take less overall room vs a roll arm while maximizing interior room. I can't tell what is opposite the window - however from the photos sent it appears your upholstery is biased too much towards the door and computer desk - and would possibly look better about two more feet into the room.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Duane, Thank you so much for your quick reply and fixing the photos. I was standing in the kitchen when taken these photos. The kitchen is opposite from the window. We moved the furniture away from the fire place because we use wood burning in the fire place during the winter and they sparks sometime. I Love the look of a sectional but worry about blocking or creating too much walk around from the front door entry, entries to the hall way and the kitchen. How would you position a sectional in this room? I really love the look of this Lacross sectional (see photo) but don't know if we can afford it or would that fit in our room? (photo borrow from forum member a1i50n). Also attached is the layout of our living room. Thank you.

Name:	20170714_163929.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	10961 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	room.png 
Views:	321 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	10962
    Last edited by red007; 05-29-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Duane, do you think a Journey sectional 3/3 would work in our living room? or would 2 sofas be better? Between Journal and Lacross which one is more comfortable? How much difference in price of the Revival Toffee or Tobacco Gr 2 leather vs Tuscany Saddle or Mesquite Saddle gr 3? Would Tuscany Saddle cost double the price of Revival Toffee? I like the color/tone of these leathers.

Name:	room.png 
Views:	294 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	10965

A Journey 3 / 3 is a HUGE piece of furniture and you'll be into the $ 10K range +/- depending on leather. You would have to tape it out on your floor but I think its too large for your space. Perhaps a 3/2 combo. Here's a general layout - not to scale.

GR 3 is appx 15% more in price over a GR 2 leather.

I shy away from comfort comparisons because they are subjective, however the Journey has a higher back on it, which many people like as a headrest.

Sofas and Loveseats can be had in JIT and T&C Promotions - there are very few sectionals in those promotions.

Name:	room.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	10966
    Duane Collie

Let me echo Duane's statement. I had two Journey recliners that took up an entire living room. They were HUGE. However, a 6-foot 1-inch burly guy loved it.

You both are correct about a Journey being too large! A 3/2 sectional requires 125/103 wall space (is this correct?) that’s doesn’t leave much room. So now my questions are would two Journey sofas work in my space or would that be too much furniture? I know I can always do Sofa and Love seat but I read on this forum that a Love seat costs about the same as a sofa & I want more for the money

Can I get a Journey sofa in the JIT or TC promotion with unprotected leather? I really want unfinished leather.
    Duane, if you were 6'4" which would you choose to take a nap on A Journey sofa or a Rugby Club sofa? Why?

You can "make" things fit in a room, but its not always the best look. To my eye, your original photos have the furniture too close together occupying too much space. If that's not important from a design / layout perspective to you, than its not a critical element of the layout. Yes, those are correct dimensions on the Journey sectional, its also high and deep so a real space-eater.

In the programs (Just in Time / Town and Country) you can only get the leathers in the inset photos - on a Journey series its only Document Tobacco. I would much rather lounge on a Journey over a Rugby Club. The "Journey" is so named because (I think) its a pun on your're taking a journey to a nap on it. Rugby is more about style.

The Memorial Day sale period ends today at 5 p.m. 10% off on non program leathers/frames and 5% off on Program ones. These are the deepest discounts I will have for all of 2018.
    Duane Collie