Thread: Delivery of the Year

Default Delivery of the Year

This one is going to take top honors for 2009, for sure.

My delivery guys (Kyle and Brian) just got back from delivery of a Royal Pedic All Cotton Box and Matt to a customer in DC near the National Catherdral. It was a California King, which we like to call "The Heartbreaker" because its probably the hardest thing to deliver in the whole store. The matt is huge, and its heavy. They were gone three hours, which is twice as long as a normal delivery to that area.

I knew this was going to be hard delivery, as I had taken a queen size Royal Pedic to the same customer six weeks earlier and my son and I just barely got it up the staircase. No way a Cali King was going up the stairs....and I told my customer that. She was undergoing a house remodeling and said my guys could just bring it and the construction workers would take it though a window.

So the guys get there and it won't go through the window that it was planned for. However there was a huge window on the second floor the remodeling team could take out if they could get it up there. So Kyle and Brian, who pride themselves in accomplishing EVERY Delivery (they have never brought anything back because they couldn't get it in the house), each got a stepladder from the construction guys, set them six feet apart and with each of them holding one end of this very heavy mattress, climbed the ladders together and set it on the roof. Once there, the window was removed and in it went to the second floor bedroom.

If there was a Silver Star for deliverymen, they earned it today.

Oh, and for those of you that sometimes ask when its appropriate to give the delivery guys a nice tip, this is a prime example. Most delivery guys would have quit and said it impossible - they didn't leave until the job was done. I'm proud of my guys....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

carmela39 Guest

Hope the people had the sense to tip them big... That is above and beyond the call of duty.

They told me they got a good tip! Not sure I would have let them carry that heavy mattress up a pair of extension ladders had I been on site. No delivery is worth getting injured on.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.