Thread: H&M Cooper Tilt Back Chair & Ottoman

Default H&M Cooper Tilt Back Chair & Ottoman

i am looking at ordering hancock and moore 2043/2042 cooper tilt back chair and ottoman for a family room. considering the heirloom chestnut gr 4 unprotected leather. have never owned leather and am welcoming opinions both validating this choice and/ or alternative recommendations if this leather choice is too sensitive. thank you
    Last edited by pointguardsmom; 05-20-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Default Re: h&m cooper tilt back chair

Quote Originally Posted by pointguardsmom View Post
    i am looking at ordering hancock and moore 2043/2042 cooper tilt back chair and ottoman for a family room. considering the heirloom chestnut gr 4 leather. have never owned leather and am welcoming opinions both validating this choice and/ or alternative recommendations if this leather choice is too sensitive. thank you
    pointguardsmom - That looks like a very comfy chair and a beautiful leather. I don't have experience with either, but you can find great information about the different types of leather at these posts, if you have not already reviewed them:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-FORUM-lt-READ

This one provides Duane's comments (positive/negative/neutral) about individual leathers

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...r-Descriptions

And this one show a tufted sofa in Heirloom Chestnut, which will give you an idea of what the chair above would look like

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...light=heirloom

I've had unprotected/wax pull up recliners for 20 years. I have very oily skin, and the leather darkened at the hands and head. However, I didn't know how to clean/condition/protect the leather until I saw this forum and this post about a year ago. If I had been known how to do those things, I don't think it would have been a problem. They didn't get other stains, but I was pretty good about wiping them off immediately.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...light=heirloom

Now, hopefully, someone who has experience with both that comfy looking chair and beautiful leather can answer your actual question.

Dave

thank you davez! this is a great help and place to start

Heirloom Chestnut is not a leather I would use on that chair myself and I'll tell you why, then you can decide from there.

* It's a GR 4 leather, which means the piece is about 20% more in cost than in a GR 3 burnished leather. GR 4 hides are pricey and myself if I am spending that much money on a leather I'm going to go to Capri and a supersoft luxury leather.

* The antiquing effect on Heirloom is very heavy - I think it suits itself well to old school pub-type furniture in classic form factors, but for the Cooper series you may not want that dramatic look and something a bit more subtle.

* You can create the same general look in those GR 3 burnished hides such as the Hyde Park / Cameo / Gaucho series and they will not only cost less, but they are more supple in feel. Heirloom is stiffer in the hand of the leather.

As a broad guideline here's how pricing generally works by grade in H&M (Don't hold me to these exact percentages):

GR 1 is your base leather price
    GR 2 is 15% more than GR 1
    GR 3 is 15% more than GR 2
    GR 4 is 20% more than GR 3
    GR 5 is 22% more than GR 4

Prices escalate quickly and all you are changing is the price grade of the leather, all construction remains constant. So you want to try to find that balance between the look you are trying to achieve and price point. Hope that helps.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

if this was a geometrical math equation, i would start out with a given...i love the heirloom chestnut look. i love the dramatic tones you refer to. while trying to do my due diligence, if i would look at a supple gr 3 leather to keep costs down but give me the beauty of the finished appearance and i look at a gr 3 burnished hide, what would your eye for "color" refer me? i can have looked at pictures to compare on "color" of finished pieces and have trust issues with pictures. so i don't base a decision strictly by going by images, could you narrow a few choices down for me? would you say gaucho mocha burn or cameo mocha are close? THANK YOU for the expert eye and your knowledge again.

The burnished leather series are more subdued in their toning effects, the Heirloom is heavier on the tone effect and more dramatic. If the effect is what you are after, then stay with the Heirloom as the burnished leathers will be more subtle.
    Duane Collie

Each style comes with only the leg as shown. Anything else is a custom.

Default nail is "A", you can select other color nails at no extra charge if they are the same size and shape.

Wood finish if you don't want the Mahogany Distress default. Finishes with an (*) on the H&M website are extra cost premium finishes.

I would not use a Cooper series and Richmond series together by choice, keep them the same if ordering a pair.

You will most definitely get a significant color variance ordering as second ottoman at a later date. It would be a distinct mis-match because Heirloom and Burnished leathers are finished by hand and have to be done at the same time to match up.
    Duane Collie