Thread: Lane Recliner - Tilt Back Tension Adjustment?

Default Lane Recliner - Tilt Back Tension Adjustment?

I have a Lane Comfort King Bulldog rocker recliner that I just recently purchased. This is the second recliner of this type I have had; I purchased a used one on Craigslist 5 years ago and when it began to wear our I decided to purchase the exact same model since I did like the one I had.

I've had it for about 2 months and while it does generally sit pretty well, I have noticed that the back tends to move much too easily. My old chair required some effort to recline, which I liked since it allowed me to be able to sit straight up without having to worry about the back reclining when I did not want it to.

I've done some research and come across several references to a "tilt back tension adjustment" that apparently can be done to most recliners. However, so far as I have been able to tell, there is no mechanism on my chair that was put there specifically to adjust the tilt back tension.

That being the case, does anyone here happen to know how I could go about adjusting my recliner so that the back doesn't recline quite so easily? Is there some method specific to Lane recliners or am I just missing something or what?

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Lane Recliner - Tilt Back Tension Adjustment?

Most rocker recliners are Wall Huggers, and if this is a Wall Hugger they run on different mechanisms from conventional recliners. I have never seen a wall hugger that can be adjusted, because the tension springs are all tied into the open/close function of the unit which works on a "trip and release" mechanism. Conventional recliners can be fiddled with to adjust the tensions somewhat either by wingnuts at the end of the springs or adding stiffer springs into the unit.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Most rocker recliners are Wall Huggers, and if this is a Wall Hugger they run on different mechanisms from conventional recliners. I have never seen a wall hugger that can be adjusted, because the tension springs are all tied into the open/close function of the unit which works on a "trip and release" mechanism. Conventional recliners can be fiddled with to adjust the tensions somewhat either by wingnuts at the end of the springs or adding stiffer springs into the unit.
    I don't think it's a Wall Hugger because, IIRC, I had a choice between a Wall Hugger and a standard recliner and chose the standard. I just find it odd that the older chair I bought off Craigslist did not have this issue, which leads me to believe the previous owner had adjusted the tension or that the newer recliner was just not tightened as much when it was manufactured.

I have flipped the chair over to look at the mechanism and, as far as I can tell, they're both identical. There is a longer spring on one side and a smaller spring on the other, which is the side where the recliner handle is located. I'm guessing my problem is in some way related to one or both of these springs, but how I don't know.

if there are visible springs then you can play with them by changing them out to get more or less resistance. I have no tips on where to source springs, however.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    if there are visible springs then you can play with them by changing them out to get more or less resistance. I have no tips on where to source springs, however.
    So, I assume smaller springs = more resistance then?

Depends on how the mechanism is designed. You will have to play around with it. Start by simply removing a single spring and see what that does.
    Duane Collie