Thread: Simone Sofa # 4657/Luxe Recliners #1040: We finally got in through the door !

Default Simone Sofa # 4657/Luxe Recliners #1040: We finally got in through the door !

As always it was a pleasure working with Duane. I loved this sofa and knowing how soft the Capri leather is, I decided it was worth the additional money to have it shipped, in the crate by Plycon just to try to eliminate any damage. The morning that the sofa was to be delivered I had my maintenance guys break up my old sofa as it would not fit into the elevator and, I live on a very high floor. (Note to self: don't remove old sofa before the new one is in the living room)

Plycon shows up the sofa is packed in the crate, the guys bring it up to my front door and realized it won't fit through the door...The guys from Plycon were great! They tried for at least an hour to wiggle it in, in every possible angle.
    Who knew that when you measure a door you have to measure the INSIDE, not the OUTSIDE, as there is a doorstop!
    Ok, so now I'm in my hallway sitting on the sofa crying and my co-op management keeps telling me I must remove the sofa from the hallway by 5:00, it's 3: 30! I called Duane, he told me Dr. Sofa is my only hope at this point. Duane then spoke with Dr. Sofa and explained my situation.
    The expert at Dr. Sofa said he didn't want to just cut the back legs off and reassemble it and, if he would have to he wanted to do it at his shop not, in my hallway. So the guys transport the sofa to their warehouse where it sat for a week till the expert was able to attend to it.
    The expert Mike called and expressed to me how beautiful he thought the sofa was and, that he wanted to see if he could avoid cutting it and suggested he'd try one more time to see if he could wiggle it through the door.
    Well, Mike, Jose, and Chris tried for two hours (very strenuous work very heavy sofa) to fit it through the door. All while I'm dreading having to sClick image for larger version. 

Name:	keeping room .jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	11011ee my masterpiece cut...
    The good news! After assessing just how much space they were short, which was like 1 1/2 inches. Mike cut just ONE back leg!
    The sofa was brought in with what amounted to a small cut the size of a carpet protector that you put on the furniture legs. He also made it a screw on, as appose to gluing it, just in case I move.
    I couldn't thank Mike, Jose, and Chris enough. I really appreciated the fact that they were such professionals and didn't just chop off the back legs.
    I absolutely LOVE this sofa, I think it's so beautiful. I am so shocked at just how comfortable it is, I got the extra firm cushions. I hate "sinking" in to the sofa. I actually took a nap on it which, is unheard of for me....
    Now I have to treat it with the Leather Solution barrier cream.
    Thank you so much Duane. I couldn't be happier !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0287.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	11009  

Default Re: Simone Sofa # 4657/Luxe Recliners #1040: We finally got in through the door !

That is really a piece of art, and I can see why you didn't want to cut even a rear leg. Very nice! Enjoy.

Default Re: Simone Sofa # 4657/Luxe Recliners #1040: We finally got in through the door !

Thank you Davez,
    I truly appreciate your opinion and, the fact that you understood my problem...
    I wish you an amazing summer !
    D

Wow what an adventure. I am glad it worked out for you, and the sofa looks great in that room!

I have had to take doors off a few times to get things to fit, but haven't need to cut legs off yet. It is great there is a service like that with experts to help.

The room looks really great - all's well that ends well, however its unfortunate you had to incur the additional expense from Dr. Sofa to get it into you apartment. The fact you had a metal fire door with metal thresholds really made this one difficult, I know. On many doorways that have wood molding, that can be pulled off and removed, but with metal you don't have many choices other than a cutting torch.

I try real had to make sure pieces will fit before you order them - especially for my New York City and Philadelphia customers where there are so many older homes/apartments with small doors. That's why its so important to measure every opening correctly and accurately so we can try to make sure it will work for you. Even then, sometimes you need need another 3/4" to get it into a house. Most manufacturers are very reluctant to say with any certainty "It will fit" because what if it doesn't? Neither the maker of the piece or the dealer can guarantee clearances will work so that's important to keep in mind. We try hard though - we don't want you to have problems getting it in the door.

I'd like to see the modification work on that sofa leg if you can photo it and post it, D. Helps me to see the quality of their work and what they had to do.

Good eye for decorating! It all looks very well put together. Thanks for the opportunity to serve you.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you so much Danw99,
    Yes, an adventure it was.
    When I thought the three back legs had to be cut, I was just losing it..Then my mom kept saying "It's a sofa, not an organ !". Which ever way it would have gone, I know she was right..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sofa Leg.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	11012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofa leg 2.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	11013
    This is the cut that Dr. Sofa had to do, to get it through the door.
    It's the one back leg and I don't even notice it.
    I personally think they did a great job. These guys tried for two hours lifting this heavy sofa, in every angle possible.
    I would highly recommend them. They were worth every penny !

Keep in mind they screwed it back. No glue was used and, this is the Marseille wood the look is distressed.
    Last edited by Dmarie; 06-18-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks for the photo - looks like they used a hand saw on it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.