Hey everyone,

I'm in my late-20s and bought a leather-bonded couch at a big brand retailer 5 years ago as my first major purchase for an apartment. It was $1100 and wow, what a waste of money. The product was a total lemon and has holes all over it. I've spent hours pouring through this forum reading drcollie's advice and the experiences of others and will never buy bonded leather again! I am seated on a heavily duck-taped cushion as I write this...

I have a few apartment moves ahead of me before I own a house. Since I don't know what my house's living room will ultimately look like, I've been leery to blow a bunch of money on a couch at this time - I don't want it damaged in moves, I want it to match my house's living room, etc. A "throwaway" couch for $500 that lasts me a few years would be fine, but I can't find anything reputable in that price point... consumers sometimes have issues with those pieces in months, not years. It seems the only better alternative is to stick with reputable brands in the $1000-1800 price point, which is where I need some recommendations.

I was hoping to find some of the amazing brands mentioned on these forums (Taylor King, Hancock & Moore, Bradington Young, etc.) on Craigslist or consignment shops, but there is absolutely nothing around. I could be patient and keep looking, but like I said, I am sitting on a duck-taped cushion and would like to replace this hunk of junk sooner rather than later!

Sofa Prerequisites:
  • 80-90 inches wide
  • fabric is fine (skeptical of leather in this price range)
  • The cheaper the better - but could go up to $1700 if necessary

What would you all recommend? Are Havertys or Ethan Allen even worth a look? I saw Ethan Allen has outsourced some of their production in the last 10 years. Ethan Allen's entry-level sofas look like they're priced at $1600, so I'd want it to last a long time. I know to stay way from these trendy mall shops like Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, etc.

The only place in this price range I've found on the forums is Simplicity Sofas in NC. I've seen someone from their team, Jeff, post on these forums, and he seems to know his stuff. However, if I'm paying that much for my furniture, I'd like to sit on it before trying it, and I'm in Atlanta. Still considering getting some swatches from them if no one has any better alternatives.

Thanks in advance!