Thread: relative durability of protected vs unprotected leather

Default relative durability of protected vs unprotected leather

One of the H&M leathers we were considering is the Angelo which seems to be a pretty good option based on the leather description sticky. I have read the primer, and am not against unprotected leathers, but am hoping to better understand the relative trade-offs.

How long would you expect a protected leather to last, assuming it is maintained, versus unprotected? I am looking at a couch with welts too, so it sounds like that might wear faster especially on the front of the cushion.

I get the impression that a Taylor King fabric could last up to 10 years, and leather could be up to 4x that based on Duane's rule of thumb, but am I right to assume that rule of thumb is only relevant for unprotected leather, with protected coming in with a shorter expected life, say 2x that of fabric?

Default Re: relative durability of protected vs unprotected leather

Generally speaking, leather outlasts fabric 4 to 1.

So much depends on use and environment - as well as maintenance and care. I can get 30 + years out of a leather sofa, I have seen customers destroy them in 5 years, however. My first leather purchase was in 1986, a Hancock and Moore Woodbridge Recliner. I didn't know anything about leather then - and just bought a promotional finished leather they had. I still have that recliner and the wear is minimal. It's 32 years old now. Now I am not a finished leather person - I like the texture and hand of pure anilines so I no longer buy finished leather for myself except in a desk swivel office chair.

How YOU use the piece and care for it is far more important than the leather type you select.

FYI I have Angelo Ebony on my newest piece, the office chair I use at work every day.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.