Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: H & M questions

mcarey Guest

Default Re: H & M questions

That is a nice change from what is tyically seen. I would also be interested to see similar spacing combined with a larger nail. Thanks so very much for sharing the photo!

mcarey Guest

Hi Duane,
    I am interested in H&M sofa's that include option of a matching chair and ottoman. At this point in my furniture hunt, I like the look of the Evening and companion chair, but unfortunately, can't find one to sit on. I would consider the September since I have been able to try it out, but I really don't like it's companion chair/ottoman...to me, it appears to be boxy and I don't want wheels on an ottoman. In your opinion, would the Evening chair and ottoman work with the September? Or can you recommend another option. Thanks very much for your help-

The Evening sofa and chair set is very nice, why not just stay with that ensemble? The Evening sofa will sit very similar to the September. They very much have almost the same feel to them. I think you can also use the Evening Chair/Ottoman with the September sofa as well - I'd not hesitate at all with that combo from a design standpoint.

Ottoman legs can also be swapped out for non-wheeled ones. We do it all the time.

Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

mcarey Guest

Hi Duane,
    I would absolutely consider the Evening combo, but would not be comfortable buying without having sat on, or seen it. I've called around and can't find it in area. Thanks for your help...I really appreciate all of the info you provide on this Forum.

What part of the country do you live in? If you're close to Wash DC, I'll just order it up for floor stock....
    Duane Collie

mcarey Guest

We live in PA, about 3 hours from D.C., and willing to drive. Thanks for your help.

OK, well, like I said if you really want to try one out and don't mind the drive, I'll order up a sofa today (Evening) and you can plan on it being here just before Christmas. I'll pick the leather and bring in just a sofa, (not chair and ottoman). No obligation on your part other than a promise to show up and try it out! Just PM (private message) me with your name and contact phone number so I can give you a call when it arrives.
    Duane Collie

One # 1667 Evening Sofa ordered up today for our member mcarey, to try out. Coming in as Floor Stock in a class 3 leather that has been discontinued (last of the USA tanneries) called Payson Chino. This one will be $ 2,999 when it hits the floor in case anyone is interested. (regular order price to my store in a class 3 hide is $ 4,538).

mcarey has to be able to try it out and see it first, however!
    Duane Collie

mcarey Guest

Hi Duane-
    Thanks so much for the speedy delivery of the H&M leather swatches! They are beautiful! My adventurous side (LOL) loves the Upton Cafe! The pull-up effect is intriguing and it has such great depth of color. It is shinier then what I would typically prefer, but with the nice pull-up effect, wrinkling and texture it looks very rich. On the downside, it does scratch very easily and I am not certain how that would look on the Evening sofa; however, I'm sure it would be awesome on the Grant recliner. Wondering if the Antelope is a safer pick because of the level of protection. Unfortunately, we want a rich brown like the Upton and the Antelope Saddle appears to have burgandy tones and Antelope Nugget is too dark with grey/blackish tones. Is their another Antelope (or other) leather that would compare in color to the Upton Cafe? I continue to have some questions/concerns regarding the Upton, or any "unprotected leather", for that matter. As you know we had a rather negative experience with an unfininshed H&M leather on a sofa (approx. 15 years old) and do not want to end up in this position again, especially since we will be purchasing multiple pieces. I recall that there was a period of time with our current sofa when scratches could be easily lightened by rubbing the surface, but after a few years that was no longer possible. (We had followed the directions posted on the H&M sofa tag that stated "should not be cleaned" and treat like "fine silk". However, after a few years, and as the look of the leather deteriorated, we did wipe it down with a damp cloth and applied H&M recommended cleaning and protective products.) So here's my questions...
    *Over time, is it common for unprotected leathers to eventually lose their ability to "recover" from some surface scratches? or....
    *Did these issues occur on our first sofa because we could not clean or apply protection to the leather?
    *Which leather, unprotected v.s. protected would be easiest to repair (deep scratch)?
    *Have you gotten any feedback from customers that have purchased furniture with the Upton cafe or are there any photos available of furniture pieces made up with the Upton leather?
    Thanks again for all of your help in this decision making process and for ordering the Evening sofa for us to try out at the Keeping Room. Marianne

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for making the long drive to the store! I know you had to spend all day in the car to come in from Pennsylvania.

Upton Cafe: I really like this hide and have had good reports from all whom have tried it on their furniture. It has a light 'pull-up' effect to it and a deep, rich color. I don't recall anyone posting photos of their pieces in Upton Cafe, its only been in the line about a year.

Antelope is grade higher in price. Quite honestly, this is just about the perfect leather for many people as its the finest fully protected hide in the line. it has the softness of a luxury unprotected leather and the resistance to spills and stains of an inexpensive finished leather. Gloss is on the low side as well. It does not scratch easily. It comes from Germany, the same tannery as its non-protected cousins : Capri and Quintessence. A leather everyone seems to be very pleased with if they can tolerate the class 3 price in their budget.

Mind the colors! Swatches at this level of leather are approximations only. Actual hides used WILL vary from what you see on your samples. Expect up to a 20 % color variance in tone and color from your samples.

If I recall the cushion your showed to me was off your Austin that was 17 years old, and it showed normal wear and tear for something that old. I remember that you said that it occurred much earlier in the life history of the piece, however. Yours shows a loss of pigmentation of the color, and some abrasion of the leather. That's not a cleaning issue, I would say its more a result of wear and friction on that particular hide.

Most unprotected hides (but not all) age and develop patina gracefully - but leather being a natural product it will vary from one hide to the next, even within a series.

All things are tradeoffs. On protected leathers, they can and will show scratches which occur primarily in the topcoat that is applied. Natural leathers are more susceptible to stains and oils on the other hand.
    Duane Collie