Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: H & M questions

mcarey Guest

Default Re: H & M questions

Hi Duane-
    Hope you had an enjoyable holiday! We received the H&M samples along with the Portofino that you sent. The Portofino feels really nice and soft, but think it may be too pebbly for our taste. We really like the Kipling Java for the sofa and chair, and maybe the Kipling Chestnut or Garfield Chestnut for the recliner. We are still feeling a little nervous about ordering "unprotected" leather, especially since our sofa is placed with the back positioned directly in front of windows (which are coated with UV film that filter 90% of the suns rays). This has been quite a process and as we learn more about leather from your site, our choices of leather have changed dramatically. As you know, we didn't even want to look at Garfield when we were visiting your store. With that being said...I would still probably go with the Antelope with protection, if only I liked the colors that were offered in that line! We've performed the "Duane" test on the leathers and so far they definitely do have more of a topcoat then our 15+ year old H&M leather sofa ever did. I prefer the Garfield to the Kipling primarily because it seems to be a slightly heavier/thicker leather...*Do you think that is an accurate assessment? So far, the color of the Kipling Java is the right color brown, but wish I had ordered a sample of the Garfield Mocha to compare...*Would it be possible to get a Garfield Mocha sample sent after H&M returns from vacation?
    *Do the leather samples vary in thickness to the actual hide that is used? *Would the Kipling be more likely to show deep creases as compared to the Garfield?
    *Is Garfield as thick as the leather on the Evening Sofa in your showroom? *Between the Kipling and Garfield...would there be any reason to go with one over another in regards to tailoring and details of the Evening Sofa?
    * On the Furniture Forum there is a photo of the Garfield Mocha on a sofa that looks quite different in color from the photo that you had sent to me in the PM...Which do you feel is most accurate?
    *Can you recommend any other leather that would be the color of the Kipling Java?
    We'd really like to get this order placed with you by February, but do worry a about what to do with our time when we are no longer shopping and learning about furniture! Perhaps a support group on the Furniture Forum?
    Thanks again for your help! Marianne

HI Marianne,

First off, I dropped a sample from my handles to you in the mail today - Garfield Mocha - it would be two more weeks before H&M would be able to get them to you, so I sent you mine. If you can mail that back when finished, I'd appreciate it.

Kipling is a great leather, always one of my favorites. Keep trying out the samples and see what stains and what does not. You'll find that the 'unprotected' Kipling sheds 95% of everything you put on it.

Yes, Garfield is thicker and heavier than Kipling. Its a pretty nice class 3 leather. It does vary in color (just like Kipling) from dye lot to dye lot, however.

Most leathers that are thick on the sample are cut that way on the finished product as well. Kipling wears well, but will show some crease marks. Here's my recliner at home in Kipling Whiskey, about 3 years old as I recall. There are a few crease marks in the upper back pillow, but that's about it. (photo attached).

Yes, the Garfield is as thick as the leather on the Evening sofa in the showroom, and it will have more gloss to the topcoat as well. The Garfield is a bit richer looking than Kipling, and shows more natural markings. Its a nice leather!

Colors are so hard to nail down. The nicer and finer the leather, the more color variance there is in the hide from dye lot to dye lot. Only the less expensive leathers are truly consistent it seems. Kipling has been in the line for many years now, whereas Garfield is a newer offering that has only been out for less than a year. Overall I'd give the nod to Garfield as a pick, however Kipling is one grade less in price!

Support Group on the forum? I like it! Actually we have the FLUFF and KNOWLEDGE BASE categories so anything goes for the most part in those segments, The forum can be whatever the members want it to be - just take in a direction you like and if need be I'll make more categories!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sadler.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	739  
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

mcarey Guest

Thanks for getting the sample of Garfield in the mail and I will be certain to return it asap. When we were at your store you had mentioned that the Evening sofa with the detailed back cushions might look better with a thinner leather. With that in mind, would the Garfield be an appropriate thickness for tailoring those cushions? Maybe I'm over thinking this detail? Also, since the Garfield is a new leather, do you have any concerns about wearability? Thanks!

Its really hard for me to say Marianne, on both accounts. Thinner leathers follow the lines of a piece better and are more form fitting. Thicker leathers add bulk but keep shape easier. As to wear-ability, I've no concerns on Garfield whatsoever - and on your older piece I think you just had a bad batch of leather on that cover that should have been replaced by your selling dealer way back when.
    Duane Collie

mcarey Guest

Hi Duane,
    I've got a quick question for you...Is it possible to replace the cushion cores on the semi-attached back of the Journey recliner? Thanks!

Not easily!
    Duane Collie

mcarey Guest

Hi Duane-
    Thanks for loaning us the sample of Garfield Mocha III. So far, Garfield is our favorite...kind of funny since we didn't even give it a second look when you showed it to us in your showroom! It's a beautiful rich brown with subtle high/low tones, feels luxurious, and shows minimal scratching. Tested it's ability to repel household substances and it is comparable to the Kipling, which easily handled vegetable oil and windex! The Kipling Java II is also very nice, but I'm not completely sold on the way it feels when compared to the Garfield. We're still working through our fear of "unprotected" leather, as well as, coming to terms with the price difference of a II v.s. III grade leather. When we were in your showroom, you quoted us prices based on a grade II...When you get a chance, could you give us the price of the Evening sofa, Evening chair and Miller busleback recliner in a grade III. This may bring us back to reality (or not!) and help us with our decision....Have a very Happy New Year! Thanks again, Marianne

mcarey Guest

Hi Duane-
    I sent the above message just before the New Year, and I think that it may have been missed. When you get the chance, please give me a price on the following items in a grade III leather:

Evening sofa
    Evening chair
    Miller bustleback recliner

In your opinion, would the style of the Abbott recliner coordinate well with the Evening sofa? What other recliner options have you seen paired with the Evening sofa? What is the price for the Abbott recliner in a grade III leather. Hope you have a happy and healthy 2010! Thanks again, Marianne

Hi Marianne,

End of the year is always busy, I'm behind on replying to forum posts and emails, sorry.

# 1667 Sofa in gr 3: $ 4,235
    # 1665 chair in gr 3: $ 2,324
    # 7017 in gr 3: $ 2,597
    # 7059 in gr 3: $ 2,541

Garfield is a great leather, It shows all the natural markings, has a good hand to it, and there's enough protection on it to sluff off most of what might come out of the kitchen should it land atop the leather. I do find Garfield has a significant color variance from the sample swatches however - so don't focus too hard on the actual color of the sample.

Yes, the Miller ana Abbott both should work very well with the Evening from a design standpoint.

Thanks!
    Duane Collie

mcarey Guest

Hi Duane,
    No need to apologize...I imagine you get so many questions in a day that it would be easy to miss one! Honestly, you've spoiled forum members with your quick, detailed and informative responses! Thanks for the info and price for grade III leather. We will need to consider the $700-800 price difference; however, like you've said in the past, when you average the additional cost over the course of 20 years it really isn't that big of a difference. If we do decide to go with Garfield, I guess getting a sample of the actual leather to be used on the pieces would be in order.

Have you ever actually tried out the 7059 Abbott recliner? How does it compare to the Miller or Sadler (even though I know that the Sadler is your favorite!)

Thanks very much for the help!