Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H & M Austin Recliner Question

Default H & M Austin Recliner Question

Duane

I know you recommend the Austin High Back Chair and ottoman for tall men. I am leaning more toward the recliner though. Question: I am 6'4 and 250. Is the Austin recliner suitable for somebody my size? I am thinking the recliner is just a better fit for the room....and for comfort.

Default Re: H & M Austin Recliner Question

The Austin recliner will be way too small for you. At your size, I'd recommend the Sundance or Parkway Recliners from Hancock and Moore.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks, Duane. The Parkway is nice, pricey. What about the Sadler, which you always recommend? Would it be a good fit. Or should I just stick with High Back Austin, another of your favorites.

The 1044 Sadler is very good - I have one on my home. Long as you are not super-wide on the bottom, should be a good fit. The Parkway is larger and wider. Austin High Back Tilt requires an Ottoman, so net cost is higher because of that. All three of those items do come in promotional leathers as well (JUST IN TIME and TOWN AND COUNTRY programs).
    Duane Collie

Hi Duane, I am brand new here. I also have a question about the Austin high back tilt chair. My husband and i were in North Carolina last week searching for a chair that he would like. We found the Austin-the height is nice, but I really am not crazy about the bustle back look. It seems as though i read that at one point that chair was available with a single cushion back as opposed to the bustle back. Do you know if this is an option? Thank you for your help

A long time ago you could get an Austin with a single cushion back and they sat poorly in my opinion. I would not recommend it. The Bustle Back is what makes the chair feel the way it does. Having said that, if you just got to have one that way, I know H&M will build it for you as a custom.
    Duane Collie

I've read so much about the comfort of the Austin high back. Can you tell me what you think about the Austin compared to the Westwood? I know both have the bustle back, but the shape of the ottoman and the seat appears to be different. I like the look better on the Westwood but wondering if it has the same comfort level. I'm also wondering how the look will translate if done in a fabric instead of leather.

I have both side by side in my store, the Westwood and Austin High Back Tilt back chairs with ottomans. Most people prefer the Westwood series (as do I). It will be a bit higher in price as it has more design features - such as button tufting - and is slightly larger as well. Note the Westwood Tilt Back is not on any of the promotional programs (Just in Time, Town and Country) whereas the Austin Tilt Back is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-8525.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	11289
    Duane Collie

Duane thank you for this information. Whew...I didnt know that choosing a chair could cause this much strife...I'm still struggling with the look of the bustle back chairs, they really dont go with my style of furniture and the room overall very well. ...I am wondering what you think about the Bradley tilt back and the Rugby lounger? I dont know if the Rugby comes as a tilt back, but maybe HM would do this as a special order piece? The main things are that my husband wants that 40+ height, tilt back, and he prefers having an ottoman over a recliner. He sat in an Austin chair and loved the comfort and height. Do you have any ideas for my next option?

Generally, the bustle backs will be more comfortable for most men, so you will have to choose between style and comfort, lest you have to listen to your husband comment that he liked the way the other one in the store felt better! The only unit I prefer over an Austin would be the Westwood.I've sold Bradley Tilt Backs before and they are certainly O.K., but they do not have the lumbar of a bustle back.

Rugby recliner will have a totally different feel and sit from a tilt back and ottoman combo, some men think its a bit too smallish. I have one on my sales floor as well.
    Duane Collie