Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H & M Austin Recliner Question

Default Re: H & M Austin Recliner Question

What do you think about the Cross Moore lounger? It has a tall back, - would H&M make that chair in a tilt back version?

Hancock and Moore will customize some features of an existing piece they have, but will not scratch build a single bespoke piece.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks Duane...ok I think we are leaning toward the Westwood. He doesn’t want leather though, have you seen this chair made in fabric? Just wondering how it looks in a fabric compared to leather.

Two more questions....would H&M do this without the button tufting? And I noticed that the seat depth isn’t as deep on the Westwood as it is on Austin-I thought that was interesting as it is a larger chair overall—I know you favor this chair, so I’m thinking the smaller depth must be ok for the comfort of this chair? I’m just trying to be sure of all this, I will need two of these and I know they are more expensive than the Austin. Thank you for your help.

Generally you don't want fabric on a recliner or motion seat as it will wear through where the rub points are.

Thank you Danw99, do you know of any chair that has the higher back and nice seat depth/width? (20+ inches?) we could possibly do without a tilt back but he wants a higher back chair and an ottoman. Also doesn’t want a tight back style. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

They could leave out the button tufting, however its a nice design element to the chair and I would recommend you keep it. There may be a custom charge to NOT have the buttons.

Don't buy a chair on specifications - measurements don't tell the whole story. The Westwood Tilt should fit any many well up to 6' 5", unless he over 350lb. I'm 5' 11" and 260 lb and I don't fill the chair up in the least. I recently sold a pair of Westwood tilts to a gentleman who was 6' 2" and he said its the best chair he's ever sat in.

I have never done any of the tilt backs from any maker in cloth, but yes, it can be done. One thing I would do if I were ordering in fabric for myself is get a pair of arm caps ($ 60 for a pair in fabric) and pay for a second seat casing cover for at least one chair, perhaps both. That way the two highest wearing areas will be protected (armcaps) - and you have a second seat cushion casing ready to go. I would expect wear-through on the seat in appx ten years on fabric, and there is no way you would be able to source the fabric on it then. The chair itself should go 30+ years, so a second seat casing ($ 135) is good insurance and no local upholsterer will sew you one for that price even if you had the material.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Austin High Back Tilt recliner with ottoman is the most comfortable H&M chair in my opinion.

This coming from having fallen asleep in it pretty much every night for the past 4 years or so!

Just ask my wife.

Oh, and the Grade II Atticus Sable leather was a good call too. Love the red undertones to the brown leather.