Thread: Sectional/Sofa layout for new living room - Help!

Default Sectional/Sofa layout for new living room - Help!

Hi Everyone, this if my very first post here but after spending some time reading the forums I was blown away by the amount of information and knowledge the members here had. My wife and I moved recently and our living room setup is completely different in our new house. We had a leather Natuzzi sofa and 2 non-reclining chairs in our old living room and when we moved the colors and layout did not match well. We finally have gotten around to look at replacing them, and actually sold the set about 2 days ago. This unfortunately left us with an 10 year old Ashley *shudders* couch from our college days, and we are in pretty dire need for a new sectional or other furniture arrangement, and I would LOVE to have your opinion on what will fit and look best. I have attached 3 photos of our living room currently, the only real requirement I have is to have some arrangement that at least one person can put their feet up. I like the idea of a non recliner with a chase on at least one (or both) sides or an ottoman. When looking at the current couch, the entry to the left side is the front entry/office/bedroom, and the doorway to the right is to our garage/laundry area. The living room itself is completely open with the kitchen being to the right of the current couch. For reference the rug is 14'x10'.

Our budget ideally is $3,000-$4,000 as we would like to have some money left to add in a coffee table or end table if needed. I know H&M seems to be a popular brand around here, but from what I can tell they will all be over our budget. We only have 1 furniture store in our town that carries them, the rest go up to the quality level of a Palliser/Flexsteele and not much beyond. Thanks for any knowledge or info you might be able to give us!

Link to images: https://imgur.com/a/Zue3Run

Edit: After playing with the Icovia room organizer this was kind of what we were thinking, but would love to know your thoughts on anything that might fit the bill, or another layout we might be missing. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 7.51.30 PM.png 
Views:	229 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	11056
    Last edited by ISUVetMed; 07-29-2018 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Added Icovia layout

Default Re: Sectional/Sofa layout for new living room - Help!

Are you looking for leather or fabric on the unit?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Are you looking for leather or fabric on the unit?
    We don’t have a preference really, our Natuzzi was leather and showed some signs of wear (sagging/stretching) after 2 years of light use. My wife would prefer fabric with a tight enough weave that pet hair will be less likely to get stuck, as she’s worried leather will scratch to easily. We usually lay a blanket or something down to cover any area if our dog will be on the sofa.

I know leather typically lasts longer, but I’d assume fabric is slightly less expensive in many cases?

Fabric is considerably less.

For you layout and budget I'd recommend (from the makers I carry) Taylor King Portfolio, and get a Performance Fabric, some of which are GR 1 in the promotion.

https://www.taylorking.com/PDF/Category/21.PDF

14' is 168".

How about a -21, a -20. and a -42. That will give you 138" on the run atop the carpet. Price of those three pieces in a GR 1 performance fabric is **** plus delivery fees and this frame is solid, USA-made, 8-way suspension and will last through several fabric recovers.

If you can get the run length down a bit, that would mean just two pieces and the price would be less. Delivery fees additional.
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-30-2018 at 10:19 PM.
    Duane Collie

Fabric is considerably less.

For you layout and budget I'd recommend (from the makers I carry) Taylor King Portfolio, and get a Performance Fabric, some of which are GR 1 in the promotion.

https://www.taylorking.com/PDF/Category/21.PDF

14' is 168".

How about a -21, a -20. and a -42. That will give you 138" on the run atop the carpet. Price of those three pieces in a GR 1 performance fabric is **** plus delivery fees and this frame is solid, USA-made, 8-way suspension and will last through several fabric recovers.

If you can get the run length down a bit, that would mean just two pieces and the price would be less. Delivery fees additional.
    I like this option, can you give me an idea what separates the performance fabric from the others and how I which are “GR 1”. I’m poorly educated in the fabric side of things, but I assume GR 1 is a grade of fabric correct?
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-30-2018 at 10:19 PM.

You can read about Performance Fabrics here and see if they are for you:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ormance+fabric

Price grades are just that - based on what the supplier has to pay the Mill for the fabric. GR1 in Portfolio is the entry level, GR 2 is about 10% more, GR 3 is another 10% higher. Then you get into the mainline fabrics after that which will increase the prices further. Taylor King fabric grades in Portfolio are shown in this thread - go to the last post.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ic-List-Update
    Duane Collie

You can read about Performance Fabrics here and see if they are for you:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ormance+fabric

Price grades are just that - based on what the supplier has to pay the Mill for the fabric. GR1 in Portfolio is the entry level, GR 2 is about 10% more, GR 3 is another 10% higher. Then you get into the mainline fabrics after that which will increase the prices further. Taylor King fabric grades in Portfolio are shown in this thread - go to the last post.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ic-List-Update
    Thank you for the info Duane! I’m hoping you can shed some light or clarify for me. I stopped by the 1 dealer we have in town for Taylor King and had them price out basically the option you showed me. This is what they sent me:
    Hi Brian, Taylor King does not have a promotion going right now. Maybe in the spring again. Taylor Made Standard with Level 1 Fabric is $6029. Cozy Creations with Levek 1 Fabric is $5699.

Is the Portfolio line less expansive than the 2 they listed, and that’s the difference in price or is there a promotion going on that they currently don’t know about?

Dealers have to qualify for the Portfolio promotion, its not automatic. I do so by both volume and floor display units, and once a year they do count to make sure you are in compliance as a stocking dealer. Many dealers do not have access to it.

As an aside, and not to confuse you , but level 1 fabric is ONLY Portfolio so I'm not sure where they are getting that. When in the non-promotional Taylor Made Standard, fabric grades begin at GR 14 (they are probably calling this Level 1).

Cozy is a smaller scale grouping - I rarely sell it.
    Duane Collie

Dealers have to qualify for the Portfolio promotion, its not automatic. I do so by both volume and floor display units, and once a year they do count to make sure you are in compliance as a stocking dealer. Many dealers do not have access to it.

As an aside, and not to confuse you , but level 1 fabric is ONLY Portfolio so I'm not sure where they are getting that. When in the non-promotional Taylor Made Standard, fabric grades begin at GR 14 (they are probably calling this Level 1).

Cozy is a smaller scale grouping - I rarely sell it.
    So again, I want to thank you for your assistance with all of this... you have been incredibly helpful with your replies. I went in today to pickup some sample fabrics for Taylor King and Norwalk, and asked the designer/salesperson about what you had said. She said due to our location (North Dakota) the TK rep doesn't stop very often... or at all, but she had called him earlier in the day. She said the Portfolio fabric was the grade 1 fabric that was in my bag of samples, and she had talked to the rep and he said there was no current promotion. They were talking about the Taylor Made Standard line though, and I am gathering the Portfolio line is actually completely different, and not just a fabric difference correct?

I have 2 questions related to that... 1st off. Assuming the lowest grade fabric on the Taylor Made Standard line with the pieces -21 -20 -42, is the price she gave me ($6,029) competitive, or high? We live in a town of ~60,000 and especially quality things without much competition (like furniture) they really tend to gouge you for... and I'd like to know if thats the case and I will move on to another store/brand or look at having it shipped in from out of state.
    2nd question is if there is a reliable way to ask her to call the rep, and ask SPECIFICALLY about a promotion/line/fabric combo. Do I just ask her to call the rep and ask for the Taylor King PORTFOLIO line, with the lowest grade fabric (grade 1/performance)? Im not sure if there is aa specific SKU or reference number I could give her to eliminate confusion and know if this store has access to that specific line, or if anything in the state has access to it...

Last quick question is if you have any experience with Norwalk, she said its a little less expensive but still made in USA with 8 way hand tied springs. Im trying hard to hold to those 2 things as minimum guidelines and stay under a 5K budget, but its proving to be fairly difficult.
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-30-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Sorry, you are getting involved in playing off against another dealer and looking to get to the ND area sales rep as well. There are internet pricing policies in place that cause issues so pricing has been edited out of earlier posts.

Good luck in your search.

This thread is now closed.
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-30-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    Duane Collie