Thread: Sofa and Ottoman to fit in a Manhattan studio

Fieldstone Guest

Default Sofa and Ottoman to fit in a Manhattan studio

Hi Duane, back in 2013 we purchased Mcnary sofa, Rugby Lounger and Plantations ottoman in Weston Cane Burnished. They are all heavily used furniture and still looks new.
    My son likes to sit in the Mcnary sofa and relax when he is home so much so that, he wanted a similar sofa and ottoman in his manhattan apt. Door opening to his apt is 29 X 81 inches. Do you have any suggestions for sofa and ottoman combo. He prefers traditional style. Thank You!

Default Re: Sofa and Ottoman to fit in a Manhattan studio

Ho boy, a 29" door opening is rough. You will want to get a sofa that has a low fixed back and the cushions can come off. The 9840 City Sofa is very good at going through narrow doorways, I know that would go and the legs come off if need be. That's on the JIT Promotion too, so a really good price, and has a chair ottoman to to in the promo as well. The ideal ottoman would be the one from the City Chair and 1/2, but its not on the program leathers. Most the tight back sofas - probably all of them (such as the McNary) - are not going through a 29" opening. We have a LOT of issues in NYC getting furniture into apartments.....so I am very hesitant to recommend many models. Here's another that would work:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...etal-Base-Sofa

Glad to hear you like your Weston Cane pieces, btw, I too use the burnished leathers in my own home and am very pleased with them.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Fieldstone Guest

Thanks for the Reply! City sofa is more to his liking than the other one. Will there be more options if he chooses to go with two seater sofa? Also he is of height 6ft 3inch, will he be able to rest his head on the city sofa? Thank You!

No, the City Sofa is too small for him at 6' 3", he won't like it. I'm 5' 11" and I think it's borderline too small for me. I'm going to have to think about this one for a bit, nothing comes readily to mind. He man have to do a smaller sofa, them get himself a chair / ottoman (such as the Westwood Tilt Back) for his main sitting chair. If you think about it, have him post photos of the 29" door, both sides of it and the hallway in front of it . Let me see what we are up against
    Duane Collie

Fieldstone Guest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0843.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	11095

Name:	IMG_0844.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	11096

Name:	IMG_0845.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	11097

He is ok with Chair and Ottoman as well.. So the apartment door is right next to the stairs. Seems like Photos are appearing sideways. Thank You!
    Last edited by Fieldstone; 08-09-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Here's a tip to keep your iPhone photos from displaying sideways. After you take the photo, press the EDIT button, and then do any of the editing functions (cropping is usually the easiest) then SAVE the photo. Now they will always display correctly.

That's a tough opening, there is no "swing room" left or right of the doorway. Is 29" with the door on the hinges, or off? Measure the threshold as well because the door can come off the hinges for delivery and probably will have to.

Discussing with H&M and right now we think maybe the # 9844 City Sofa would be the best, as the legs can come off and that one is deeper than the smaller # 9840. The only other concern is how high up is he and the side of the staircase or is there is an elevator, what are the dimensions of that? The 9844 City is 93" long and 40" deep (will fit your son pretty well). NYC apartment deliveries can be tricky - we try to work through the issues before the order, not when the delivery company is there with a sofa saying they can't deliver it.
    Duane Collie

Fieldstone Guest

Duane..We were there when he moved in to the apt. Building supervisor would not allow the door to be taken off. So 29 inches is all we got. There is an elevator, and the apt is one floor above the ground. Thank You!

You can't take the door off the hinges? Wow. Bet a Twenty might fix that, or a Fifty is need be - it is NYC afterall !

I'm still going with the City Sofa as the best bet.
    Duane Collie