Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Way or City Sofa?

Default Re: Your Way or City Sofa?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    When you do custom size modifications, you can have the seat cushions the same size as the sofa, OR spec the overall length of the loveseat - but not both. Usually when just dropping the center sections the cost of the modification is less.

Yes, you can usually opt for a different leg, a wedge leg being the easiest. Some turned wood legs will fit as well. H&M will not do the leg swaps if it changes the pitch dramatically.
    Thanks. I sent a quote request to you for the modifications. What I would want is to make the cushions the same size as the sofa, whatever size it ends up being in the two-seater. That said, if they compute the mod charge by taking the base price of the sofa and then charging a fee to drop the middle seat, it still would be worth comparing it to modifying the smaller, apartment-size in the Bradley since there is a considerable difference in retail price ($1500 to 2800 less) for the smaller one-- i.e. even if the mod charge is higher, the overall cost might be less. I guess they will have to look at it both ways and see what's most cost-effective.

Do they usually charge for the leg swaps? It would be great if they can just advise me what the options are that would work and quote the price and I'll decide from there.
    Last edited by SJGTx; 08-16-2018 at 08:54 PM.

They will not do a comparison, only the ones the dealer requests. If the intent is to have a center section drop then you do it off the sofa as the fit will be better.

There is almost always a charge for leg swaps.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Your Way Sofa Observations and Cushion Question

Here are some observations and updates on the Your Way sofa search for those who might be interested in this model.

I found a store that had several of the Your Way sofas on the showroom floor. The one I had been interested in was the standard depth, English arm sofa. Well, I am so glad we made the 360-mile round trip to see it, because I didn't like it that much. Duane was concerned that the 22.5-inch seat depth might be too deep for me at 5'3". That was a valid concern, but I can honestly say that part didn't bother me much. We even sat in the deep 24-inch version, and while my feet didn't touch the floor, it wasn't uncomfortable. The main problem I had with this sofa was that it didn't have enough height support behind our heads to comfortably lean back into the sofa, even if we slouched for TV-watching. The specs of the sofa say it is 36 inches high, and I understand that is supposed to the height of the cushions, but the cushion height I measured was more like 33-34 inches at most. Since the actual back frame height (not counting back cushions) was only about 29-30 inches, it came across as a little low in height to me. The back of the sofa was very plain and it didn't seem finished off as nicely as I would expect from H&M. The English arm style model comes standard with nail head trim, but there was no nail head trim or even a welt cord at the juncture across the back. That might have helped disguise the plain seam there that appeared sort of wavy. The second issue was that my husband and I both (as well as some other customers who were looking at it when we were) all slid right off the seat. Right after we sat down, our backs slid down the back cushion and our butts slid toward the front edge of the sofa-it was the strangest thing. We tried to adjust the back cushions at different angles, but that didn't help. Because we were all different heights, ranging from 5'2" to 6'1", and because none of us found it to be a problem in the other version (24-inch depth), we concluded that perhaps the leather was slippery--it was Coast leather on the standard depth and it had ultradown back cushions. The one we didn't slide off of was upholstered in Cameo Caramel, which seemed to grab us and keep us in place, and the back cushions were the standard fiber plush. The pitch of the back should have been the same. Duane, do you have any other thoughts? Even if the sofa wasn't the right fit for us, I guess I am suggesting that the type of leather finish may make some difference in the way the sofa sits, so keep that in mind when shopping for any model.

That leads me to another question that perhaps Duane can answer. The back cushions on the Your Way sofa (the one in Cameo Caramel that we found more comfortable) had the standard Fiber Plush and were square corner boxed back cushions. They were very comfortable, the leather was loose, and the back cushions gave that sink-in down-like feeling and did not feel overfilled. (I know they were not down as I opened the covers and checked.) However, when we sat in the Austin High-back bustle back, those were also the Fiber Plush fiber (not down) yet those were so poufy that we bounced right off of those back cushions. To my knowledge, they were not ordered extra full. My question is, do most sofas with the standard Fiber Plush backs feel more like the cushion of the Your Way with room to sink in or are they really plump and bouncy like in the Austin bustle back we sat in? I would hate to rule out the Fiber Plush based on a back feeling from the Austin as perhaps that particular style comes extra full expecting that it will compact down.

Any thoughts or comments from those who are familiar with any of these models and/or cushions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Last edited by SJGTx; 08-20-2018 at 03:28 PM.

There can be height variances as the pieces are handmade - they should not exceed 2" more or less to the spec. If there are features you are looking for such as a row of nail trim or welt trim, assume nothing and request it on your order. Even if its not standard they will accomodate your request. Yes, some leathers are slicker than others. The more topcoat that is on the hide, the more slippery it will be (generally speaking).

Austin series are made fuller as they crush down with time and use, so you really can't compare them - they work pretty well after a couple months use.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks for the suggestion on the back side nail trim and the clarification on the Austin head cushions. I will keep that in mind!

I would love to know which sofa you chose.

Quote Originally Posted by spbell View Post
    I would love to know which sofa you chose.
    After much research and guidance from Dwayne, we ended up with a totally different sofa. In fact, we purchased two Hancock &Moore Anderson sofas, #5635 in the Hyde Park merlot leather. This was two years ago and they still look perfect!

Thanks for the update. I love that sofa and Hyde Park!!! It's very similar to the sofa we are considering, HM Your Way, with the same arm choice and dimensions. Congrats!