Thread: Rayon/Viscose Upholstery Help

Default Rayon/Viscose Upholstery Help

This forum has been a wealth of information, and thank you so much for that! Using the information on this site, I feel I have found a sofa with decent construction, but now am having difficulty deciding on a fabric. The one that I like is a blend of 47% Rayon/Viscose, 25% Linen, 18% Polyester and 10% Cotton with a cleaning code of WS. It looks like a thick linen, oatmeal in color, and has a nice weave. I have read so many different opinions on viscose/rayon and half say it’s durable and half say it’s not. I want something that will be easy to clean, not easily stain, and wear well for a family of 5. In your opinion, is this a good option?

Thank you!

Default Re: Rayon/Viscose Upholstery Help

What I would suggest you do is contact the dealer selling the piece (or the fabric) and have them give you the "rub rating". That will tell you the durability factor over time, it's far, far better than trying to determine durability by fabric content, and content doesn't take into account the tightness and thickness of the weave. Now, don't make the rub value your only criteria - you use this as one more tool in selection. You want a fabric that is relatively soft, had a nice hand and drape to it (not too stiff) and is pleasing. As you go up in rub ratings, you tend to get into more costly materials AND can lose the hand on many.

Double Rub Scale for Residential Use:

Heavy Duty: 15,000+ double rubs. Materials are good for busy homes that have pets and children.

Medium Duty: 9,000-15,000 double rubs. This fabric grade is still considered fairly durable and may offer a more cost effective option for families on a budget. It is still strong enough to be recommended for use in family rooms.

Light Duty: 3,000-9,000. According to wearability standards, this fabric will only last 1-3 years before showing noticeable signs of wear. For this reason, light duty upholstery is best for formal living rooms that aren’t used on a daily basis.

Delicate Duty: Less than 3,000 double rubs. Because this grade of fabric easily wears, it is typically used for decorative details such as pillows and curtains.

Double Rub Ratings for Commercial Use

Contract Upholstery Minimum: The absolute lowest double rub rating you want for office grade furniture is 15,000. This is considered the best for the average office.

Heavy Duty: 15,000-30,000 double rubs. This heavy-duty upholstery offer increased durability, making it ideal for offices that operate around 40 hours per week, hotel rooms and dining areas that see moderate traffic.

Extra Heavy Duty: 30,000+ double rub. You will find this super durable grade fabric in high traffic waiting rooms, theaters, stadiums, airport terminals and restaurants. It is designed to offer maximum durability without showing signs of wear.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks so much for your repsonse! I should have included that the rub rating is 15,000 double rubs. I find the feel of this fabric very pleasing. Not too stiff. Any thoughts on the rayon being able to be cleaned with water here? Staining potential with high rayon/linen content? I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with all of us here. It’s not easy to come by all of this quality information!

Unless it is Crypton brand or Sunbrella, it's not water-cleanable. It will have a cleaning code on the material, most are "S" which is dry cleaning fluids only.
    Duane Collie

This is where I am confused, as the code is WS and it’s not labeled as Crypton or Sunbrella.

Hello. After reading your statement, "I want something that will be easy to clean, not easily stain, and wear well for a family of 5," like Duane, I immediately thought of Sunbrella and Crypton indoor residential upholstery fabrics. These two names come up consistently when folks are on the Internet looking for a sofa cloth fabric that is easy to clean and very durable.

This article (hope the link works) may help as you research your fabric choices--just scroll down a bit. https://www.mydecoratingtips.com/wp-...ery-Fabric.pdf

From my research, I have read that rayon/viscose, linen, and cotton (not denims or duck fabric) are better suited to formal living rooms--not heavy-use settings.

Good luck!

“W”—Code W stands for ‘Water based cleaner’ and these are the easiest fabrics to clean. This is not the same as being machine washable, however. This code means that you can spot clean your fabric with a water-based shampoo or foam upholstery cleaner. You can use a brush to agitate the cleaner or even an upholstery attachment on a carpet cleaner. Be careful to avoid over-wetting the stain.

“S”—Fabrics that are Code S must be cleaned with solvents (dry clean only). You can spot treat stains with a water-free solvent or dry-cleaning product. Use solvent cleaners in a well-ventilated room and keep away from open flames. Avoid using cleaning products containing carbon tetrachloride, as it is highly toxic.

“W/S”—A W/S code, as you might expect, means that a combination of dry cleaning solvents and water-based cleaners may be used. These fabrics can be spot cleaned with upholstery shampoo, foam from a mild detergent, or a mild dry cleaning solvent. This is a case, where the pre-test is especially important. For overall dirt, call a professional to clean these fabrics.

“X”—If you have fabrics with Code X, they can only be cleaned by vacuuming or light brushing. A Code X means the fabric is not cleanable with water or solvent cleaners.
    Duane Collie

Thank you! I actually have a Revolution fabric sample that I am looking at. Just not as pretty but definitely an option! Thanks for your suggestions and tip!

Thank you Duane for the information! I appreciate it!!

Quote Originally Posted by AmieB View Post
    This forum has been a wealth of information, and thank you so much for that! Using the information on this site, I feel I have found a sofa with decent construction, but now am having difficulty deciding on a fabric. The one that I like is a blend of 47% Rayon/Viscose, 25% Linen, 18% Polyester and 10% Cotton with a cleaning code of WS. It looks like a thick linen, oatmeal in color, and has a nice weave. I have read so many different opinions on viscose/rayon and half say it’s durable and half say it’s not. I want something that will be easy to clean, not easily stain, and wear well for a family of 5. In your opinion, is this a good option? rayon is one the best fabric out there.

Thank you!
    Rayon blend with linen and polyester is durable i have been using this for more than 2 years. It is really good and easy to wash as well.