Thread: H&M Recliner Recommendation

Default H&M Recliner Recommendation

I'm looking for recommendations for H&M recliners that would go with the Austin HB sofa (#8138). I've been considering the Journey Lounger (#7039). However, after my husband (the chair is for him) recently sat in it for an extended period of time, he realized that when reclined and his head is resting on the back, TV viewing would be uncomfortable - he would have to drop his chin to view a TV straight on. So, now I am on the hunt for a recliner, not a wall hugger, that sits a tad more upright when reclined for TV viewing.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

Default Re: H&M Recliner Recommendation

I'd recommend you look at a 1044 Hancock and Moore Sadler Recliner (I'm biased, have one in my home). Everyone seems to like it from 5' 11" me to my 6' 4" son and guests as well. The style will flow nicely with the Austin and it's not as pillowy as the Journey unit, so a bit more supportive. Not sure that will improve his head-to-TV angle however. Consider one with electric power in either unit, because you can fine-tune the stop point in the recline whereas a manual recliner goes to the detents. If he wants more adjustment, then the Your Way Motion is going to work (comes in power only) as it has not only a recline function, but a power-articulating headrest as well. Downside of these units is cost - they tend to be a bit more pricey by a few hundred dollars than conventional recliners.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Sadler. It's a nice looking chair. One question, is the top bustle cushion partially attached with velcro so it can be moved up to help with the head-to-TV angle issue we are trying to resolve?

Thanks again!

Yes it is, however practically speaking you are not going to do that. The upper bustle moves and flips mostly to allow you to fluff it up and/or replace the inner core. You can get a small adjustment by moving it around, but realistically it's not something you are going to want to deal with and sounds what you really are looking for is the articulating headrest on the Your Way Motion series - that's going to be on target for headrest adjustment. I want to make sure you get the right unit.....
    Duane Collie

I highly recommend the articulating chairs.

Here is a visual of what you are describing with a regular head rest:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...Brown-Burnishe

Dave

I’m looking for recliners that have a tailored style and am considering the 1086 Gifford Recliner. If it is ordered with power, does it come with the older version lever or buttons for the power control? Also, how long do the lithium batteries last and are they rechargeable?

This recliner’s back is tufted with 9 buttons. Do you know if that style has some lumbar support or is it somewhat scooped out?

The 1086 Gifford is build on the old-school Woodbridge frame, just with a pillowed/tufted back. There is no specific lumbar support for that piece, for that you would need a bustle back style (dual back cushions)

Power switch will be a handle that sits on the right side between the arm and lower seat cushion and is barely visible, yet easy to reach. If you go with the battery version, it will need a recharge every 150 cycles or so (about 6 weeks for most people). I would expect two to three years use on the battery before it needs replacement. Tip: Batteries are available on Amazon for quite a bit less than buying from H&M if you want a spare or need a replacement.
    Duane Collie

Good morning, Duane. Thanks so much for your prompt reply. We were told by a furniture salesman that the Gifford frame is the same as the 7043 Market Lounger which he had on the floor. The overall chair dimensions are very similar, but the arms are rolled thicker and there’s a seat height difference. The chair was very comfortable for both my husband and me. Is that salesman correct?

Also, are all the H&M power recliners fitted with that lever? It does have a smooth action, and I assume it’s a Leggett and Platt mechanism.

I can't say with 100% certainty frame similarities without making a phone call to H&M's Production Manager, sorry.

Most every H&M unit except for the Your Way Motion comes with that handle activator. The Your Way Motion is on the buttons, and any of the lift chairs have a corded remote from the 1980's. H&M uses L&P mechanisms for the majority of their power motion frames.
    Duane Collie

Thanks so much, Duane. Your input has really helped in our decision making process.