Thread: Hancock & Moore Ghent Recliner vs Motion your way

Default Hancock & Moore Ghent Recliner vs Motion your way

Hi Duane,

Thanks for having such an informative forum! Before coming to this site I was set on getting a manual recliner, but now see the benefits of a power one. I was also unaware of the higher end brands and am rather keen on Hancock & Moore's new 'Motion Your Way' line with the articulating headrests. I am also looking at leather after reading your posts about the look and feel of higher grade leathers ( & their relatively straight forward care).

In any case, its been hard to find Hancock & Moore pieces local to us but after a few trips we have, I think, found one that may be "the one". Its the Ghent NC7000-PR. It seems to have the style, size and comfort I am looking for. I am about 5'5" and will be the primary user. I was happy to see there was a Ghent Sofa, as well.

I have a few questions that I was hoping you could help me with as the local dealers did not seem to know much about the Motion Your Way line:

1) Motion Your Way (MYW) vs. standard power recliner: The MYW portion of the H&M site provides a pdf where one can select the frame (only one for recliner), arm, back, etc. I was wondering how this might compare to the standard Ghent power recliner if I were to select the Ghent Arm, Split back, etc. At the bottom of the page are a series of sample MYW chairs, the first of which looks just like the Ghent. Its model # is YM36GASBT. The external and internal dimensions for the MYW "ghent-like' chair differ from the regular Ghent quite a bit. Esp in the overall width and depth which are larger (strangely the internal depth is smaller (?)). This is further supported in that the COM requirement for the MYW version is also larger. The most significant difference is that the distance from the wall to full recline on the standard NC7000-PR is 18" and for the MYW version is a mere 3.5" The website shows a picture of the recline position of the MYW chair and it looks like the back does not move much, but I know the NC7000 I tried at a local shop moved (and it needs a stated 18" clearance). So my question is: how are these chairs different aside from the dimensions, as the pictures look identical. I am, of course nervous, about ordering a chair that I have never sat in.

2) Ghent Power Recline Sofa (9111-30PR): This sofa looks like a great companion to either the NC7000-PR or the 'Motion your way' version YM36GASBT recliner. On the website it states that the sofa reclines to 'TV position'. Could you explain this? Does this means only to the middle position on a manual in which case, why the power? In fact, it looks like you can't get this sofa in a manual recline version. Can you?

3) I was pretty overwhelmed with the leather choices but came away thinking about a couple of colors in Class I and Class II protected leather (KIP & Piazza series, respectively). Are these reasonable choices for wear and comfort in your expert opinion? Is one significantly better than the other?

Once we decide what we want to purchase, how do we go about getting a price quote from you?

Thanks again for your wonderful site and thanks in advance for any help you can provide with my questions.
    Danielle

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Ghent Recliner vs Motion your way

Welcome to the forum, Danielle - good questions!

The Your Way Motion has four primary differences from the standard motion line. 1) They are all wall-huggers so they only need appx 2 1/2" of clearance. 2) They have the articulating headrests which the standard line does not 3) While you can configure them a number of ways however they may lack some of the style and design details of the standard line 4) They have a button panel with USB port whereas the standard lines use a lever activator between the seat and arm.

Some of the decision making process comes down to if you need the wall hugger feature. If that's not important one way or another then i would say the the Your Way is more comfortable for most as it has the power adjustable headrest. However the standard line is styled better overall - so which is more important? Also, if going battery power - the standard line is better. Those USB ports in the Your Way unit are "always on" and will drain the batteries in a day or two so you will be constantly recharging them. There is no way to turn off the USB port (I suppose you could remove the switch and cut the wire to it or install a bypass switch, but I have not looked into doing that).

"TV" position refers to manual recliners for the most part, there is a detent for the mechanism to stop at which makes the footrest come up and the back in slight recline. Not applicable to a power recliner.

There is a whole thread here on leather types that runs several pages.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-FORUM-lt-READ

Keep in mind all leathers coming from China (Kip / Piazza are two) will have a 3% surcharge due to the Trump Administration tariffs on Monday Oct 1. You can read more on that at this link:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...al-springs-etc

You can get a quote right here on the forum, there is a separate thread category for that.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Hi again, Duane.

Man you are FAST as well as thorough. I am so impressed. Thanks so much for your reply to my original post.

As I read through it I realized that I have only sat in manual H&M recliners. I have tried a few Braddington-Young and Steel Case power chairs but not any from H&M. Is the position of the lever activator on the standard H&M power recliner similar in type and placement on the B-Y recliners? I don't see any info on the H&M site

You've given me a lot to think about regarding my core question of standard vs. motion your way - thanks.

Regarding the Ghent sofa, I am still confused. You say that the TV position is not applicable to a power recliner:

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post

"TV" position refers to manual recliners for the most part, there is a detent for the mechanism to stop at which makes the footrest come up and the back in slight recline. Not applicable to a power recliner.
    but the Ghent sofa only comes in power (from what I can tell from the website) and specifies that it reclines only to "TV position". Hence my question. I am guessing it means the sofa only reclines part way using the motor and that a manual recline is not an option on this sofa. I am thinking now that pushing back on a reclining portion of a sofa might be hard with only one arm to push from w/o some kind of manual exterior lever (which I don't like). Am I correct?

Thanks for the pointers to the threads on leather - I have read through them and will do so again. I was being lazy and just trying to get your 2 cents on the two I was leaning towards - sorry.

I will also follow up to request a quote once I understand things a bit better

Unfortunately we are about 200 miles from your store. We are seriously thinking of taking a trip down since your on-floor inventory might well answer many of my questions. We'll have to see about that

Meanwhile, thanks again for your generosity with your abundant knowledge. It is refreshing to see!
    Danielle

Bradington Young uses more variations on activation locations than H&M, they will use at least four types of buttons/levers so it's hard to say which you were looking at. I have two B-Y units in the store right now that use a rocker-button set up in the side of the arm, facing inside and I can't tell you how many people that startles when they hit it with their hips and the chair begins moving. For that reason I don't really like that location and switch and heavy people have a hard time using it. The lever that is between the seat casing and arm and partially hidden seems to be the best overall - and that's primarily what H&M uses across the line.

"TV" position is where most people sit in a recliner. The footrest is all the way up, the back is only slightly inclined. There is a soft detent in a manual recliner in this spot, none in a power unit. If you want to see a visual go to this link. 4th photo is TV position, 5th photo is full recline.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...iftwood-Finish

Power units are 100% power, you do not and can not close them with pushing on them by hand, they won't move.

I have lots and lots of folks make the drive to the store from far away, NYC customers frequently do and make a mini-weekend around it since I'm a Wash DC suburb and there is plenty to see and do in the Nation's Capital. Some even fly in from as far away as California and Texas. I think my farthest drive-in customer was from Oklahoma or Wisconsin, not sure which is farther!
    Duane Collie

Thanks again!

We are looking to come down to The Keeping Room in the next week or so, possibly this Thu and Fri. Other than the Sun & Mon closing are there any other times we should avoid in the next couple of weeks (early closing, busy event, etc)?

I have looked through some of the pictures on the website and have not spotted a H&M Ghent recliner or sofa. Is there one in the store? If not no biggie. I am sure you have several H&M power recliners on site (have yet to sit in one) and hope you have at least MYW chair so I can see the styling details that you mentioned in your response to my initial query. Is there one in the store?

I am looking forward to meeting you. Thanks again for all of your help so far.

Danielle

I have another question which i think would be better asked via PM, so I will send that shortly

I have no plans to be out of the store during operating hours, however sometimes I will have to run to the warehouse in which case I put my cell phone number on a note on the door for you to call - then I can tell you what time I will be back (warehouse is 15 min away).

Sorry, no Ghent units on the floor at this time. I have (1) H&M Your Way Motion Sofa on the floor at this time. Not sure what "MYW" refers to ?? I do have appx (40) pieces of H&M on the floor overall.

Thanks
    Duane
    Duane Collie