Thread: STUCK deciding on a B-Y purchase....

Default STUCK deciding on a B-Y purchase....

I'm looking for some advise/direction regarding a potential purchase. I found a B-Y Winchester Stationary Sofa (in grade 6 Pure Saddle Leather, 9113-87-A) at a furniture shop. It's beautiful, comfortable, (etc.), and it's also on clearance, because that particular sofa is now discontinued by B-Y. I kinda fell in love with it, but even with the discount, it's still a big purchase. They had the floor model and a "boxed" sofa in storage. I had initially wanted the boxed (since no customers have had the opportunity to sit on it, yet), but I just learned that the boxed one sold. The floor model remains. My hesitation is that I knew nothing about B-Y prior to this, and have been trying to do some research. SUCH mixed reviews. I really want the sofa to last, and I'm worried about buyer's remorse (seems that there are more and more posts/reviews from people saying that B-Y quality isn't great anymore). I really prefer USA made furniture. This would be replacing a Club Furniture Parker Vintage Leather sofa that I purchased about 14 or so years ago (that is still in great condition). I don't need to replace it, but the B-Y is a beautiful sofa, and its going for about 60% off (was originally over $8000). I guess my questions are: Is B-Y quality worth it? Will it last (the seat cushions are apparently spring down-cushions consisting of a 4.5 in. Marshall coil unit encased in premium foam, wrapped in low melt fiber, surrounded by down-proof ticking, filled with a blend of down, feathers, and fibers)? Is it likely better quality than the Club Furniture piece (which is definitely made in the US, with "kiln dried hardwood frame")? Would it be a mistake to purchase the floor model (which did appear to be in great condition, though I'm no expert)? AND, is the Pure Saddle Leather (for anyone familiar with it) really good quality? Any other guidance/info would be much appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy post...new here...THANK YOU!
    Last edited by Chris; 10-20-2018 at 01:06 PM.

Default Re: STUCK deciding on a B-Y purchase....

Reviews you have to take with a grain of salt in my opinion. There are a lot of folks with an axe to grind and they will be more likely to do a review when they are displeased rather than happy with a purchase. I have thousands of satisfied customers yet if you look at the Google reviews for my store there are only a handful posted.

Now onto the price. $ 8,000 is ridiculous as a price point for any Bradington Young sofa, don't go by that. 60 % off makes it around $ 4,800 yes?

9113-87 is a Grade 4 leather - they reclassified all the hides about 2 year ago and now GR 4 is the top level hide. Yes that model (Winchester) has been discontinued, but if we look at something current and new such as this sofa in that leather the price I sell this for is $ 3,374 plus delivery fees to your location in that exact same hide. All the other B-Y sofas are priced similarly if you like another style. I don't see a bargain there.

https://www.bradington-young.com/war...formation.aspx

B-Y is what I consider a "B" class maker, its well-made, a solid performer and will last years. It lacks the finer craftsmanship details of an "A" grade producer such as Hancock & Moore but it will also be about 20% less in price overall (as an average). I rate it alongside pieces such as Classic Leather and American Leather, also "B" class makers. You won't go wrong with a B-Y sofa if you like the style and comfort, buy it.

The pure aniline hide is great - just don't put it in direct sunlight and know that it can stain if greasy things are spilled on it. Hope that helps.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: STUCK deciding on a B-Y purchase....

Thanks, so much for your response and for the info! I appreciate your knowledge of this stuff. The price they're offering me on the Winchester is actually $3000 (I think my initial math was wrong, lol). Does that price reflect more of a deal? Also, since it's a floor model, would it be appropriate for me to try to negotiate down to about $2800 (just not sure if that's a thing you can ask for)? It is reassuring to hear that B-Y is still of reasonable quality.

Also, thanks for this forum....extremely helpful!!