Thread: Subtle Nails for H&M?

Question Subtle Nails for H&M?

Part A: I am going to order the Sadler in Revival Tobacco. Its a pull up, aged look leather in medium brown. The room this is going in is french country/vintage so I want the piece to look aged. I have a sofa with low sheen pewter nails (on a greige velvet sofa) in the room and I am trying to figure out the right nail for the Sadler. I don't really love the look of "silver" nails on brown leather and I definitely don't want the gold, as there is no gold in the room and it is a bit too traditional for me. The samples I got sent were the carpenter and pewter nail- not really loving either one. I was considering the truscan or black nickel but don't have samples. I know truscan has a bit of gold undertone but I thought it might look aged and more brown than gold (wishful thinking?) The black nickel I have only see one photo of so I am having a hard time visualizing it but it seemed understated. Any advice to get the look I am targeting??

Part B: my husband is leaning towards mechanical as experience with electronics is that they go bad. However, I read a thread that implied the electrical was a better choice. Can anyone shed any additional light on this? Is there a warranty on the mechanical? We have tried the sadler with mechanical and find the reclining spots are great so we don't necessarily need the fine tuning (nor do I want a plug) however it's a lot of money for a chair so if electrical is superior we might as well go all the way.

Thanks!

Default Re: Subtle Nails for H&M?

Hi AMyofVA,

Here is a photo of a medium brown chair (Cameo Brown Burnished) with Tuscan nails. I don't find them particularly gold (and didn't want anything that looked golden or like very bright brass).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2226.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	11299

As far as reclining goes. The advantages are an infinite number of positions and supposedly longer mechanism life (because there is less stress on the mechanism). You have identified the downsides. There is one more. It takes about 30 seconds to fully recline or return from upright. This is an oddly long time, if someone is ringing the door bell or you don't have the phone handy...

My recliners are electronic, because they are articulating, and other than the long time issue, we love them.

However, if the two positions of the Sadler work for you. I would go with the manual. I had manual recliners for over 15 years and the mechanism were just starting to wear out, but they are not that expensive to replace - couple of hundred for the parts plus labor.

I'd go with the "S" nail.

Mechanical failures of the mechanism are more common with the manual recliners, because they get slammed much harder than the slow and easy lift of the motor. As long as you install a surge protector on a power recliner, the most that ever seems to happen to them are the cord gets mangled by the vacuum cleaner or someone spills a drink on the activation switch (those are easy to repair, takes me 15 minutes and two screws to replace). I have never replaced a mechanism on a power recliner. Warranty on mechanisms is parts & labor 1 year, parts only years 2 / 3. Rarely do they fail in units less than 10 years old. Power components (motor, switch, rectifier) are one year.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you both for your helpful responses. The chair look good Dave- the nails have a nice vintage effect to them.

Duane, is there an option for power with battery pack so as to avoid a cord?

Yes, you can order a battery pack option for the chair, and either plug it in OR use the battery. The battery pack adds about $ 150 or so to the price if purchased with the recliner.

However, you can also buy battery packs on Amazon for quite a bit less - this is the one used in most applications. You can also retrofit this battery pack to existing plug-in recliners to make then battery operated. As long as the prongs plug-in then this will work:

https://www.amazon.com/Limoss-Rechar...47804681&psc=1
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.