Thread: Whom do you believe (as a customer)?

Default Whom do you believe (as a customer)?

Yesterday a nice lady came in the store to look at Hancock & Moore, specifically the Austin High Back Sofa # 8138NB in Viking Chestnut leather, a Just-in-Time program piece. She had just been to Greenfront Furniture in Manassas (they also sell Hancock and Moore) and was told that the Viking is a no-maintenance leather, nothing ever had to be done to it - just use it.

My reply was "That's not correct, all leather - if you want it to last - has to be cleaned and conditioned, otherwise it will soil, degrade the tanning agents, then peel and crack." This surprised her and clearly she was struggling whom to believe, the salesperson at Greenfront or me? Granted, anything no maintenance is appealing to us all, but what item do you own and use that is truly no maintenace?

To support my position I said to her "Those blue jeans you are wearing, what would they be like in five years if you never laundered them? Never got the dirt and soiling off them? They may be still usable, but they will be deteriorated and won't have the lifespan of jeans that are cleaned regularly." That seemed to make sense to her and I think she was coming around to the idea that leather needs to be taken care of to maximize lifespan.

Leather maintenance is not hard. Clean and Condition twice a year - and that's any leather - and you're good to go.

The thought later occured to me, whom do you believe as a consumer? Lots of sales pitches out there often made by people who have no idea of what they are talking about. Caveat Emptor.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Whom do you believe (as a customer)?

I am still struggling with this. Not because another salesperson told me differently, but because H&M doesn't recommend it for my leather, and I just don't know why. What you say makes sense, but I have always believed you trust the manufacturer first. If I had an unprotected leather, I would have a kit in my home already. But they clearly state NOT to use anything on the protected leathers, and that just paralyses me, lol. I wish you could get them to address this on their website and/or care tags.

I have brought it up with their CEO. The reason they do not recommend specific treatments is for liability reasons, plain and simple. In the same discussion, he recommended to me to use Leather Solutions as best in the business, which is why I carry their product. BTW, your information is not entirely accurate, you can read their statement in the price book on Page 3:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpmk34a3je...N2018.pdf?dl=0

You can read about this exchange over on Hancock and Moore's Facebook page. Go to the Sept 29, 2017 post. She is complaining about deterioration of the hide, but refuses to accept my advice. I had to chuckle at that.

https://www.facebook.com/hancockandmoore/
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-28-2018 at 08:55 AM.
    Duane Collie

what leather solution product do you recommend for protected leather?

Sorry, I should have said nothing except ivory soap. Not sure, why would liability be a problem on a protected leather but not an unprotected one? Anyway, I might order a kit and at least start using it on the back that faces the baseboard heaters. Right now I use a throw/throws over it to sit on so hopefully that will help keep it cleaner. I am really worried about drying though, esp since my house tends to be very dry in winter. I bought a humidifier for the living room and bedroom last year it was so uncomfortable. Do you know what I should try to keep the humidity at to protect the leather by any chance? Also, is your store open today to order a kit or do you close on Sundays? Thanks.

HNever mind about the hours, I see on your website that you are closed Sun and Mon. Will try calling if I remember middle of next week. Still wondering about the humidity level, though.

Humidity has never seemed to be an issue for leather, nor temperature extremes. Store is closed Sundays and Mondays, however I do respond to forum requests and emails on those days.
    Duane Collie