Thread: Will this couch fit down my basement stairs?

Default Will this couch fit down my basement stairs?

I am looking at a 2 piece sectional with the following dimensions: Overall: 35'' H x 105'' W x 75'' D, cushions are removable, not sure if legs are or not. My basement door is 29.5" wide. Do you think this will fit?

Default Re: Will this couch fit down my basement stairs?

75" Deep? Seriously? That's the deepest sectional I have ever heard of. Not a chance it will go through 29.5" if that is an accurate dimension. I suspect that number is off, however.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I am thinking the 75" is one leg of the L shape of the sectional. Linda, you would need to post dimensions of the depth of the individual section to know if it would fit.

I had a customer get a bit upset with me the other day, at the very least she was unhappy. She wanted to purchase a dual power recliner sofa for her basement remodel and she was all set to buy it when I started asking questions about the delivery pathway. I suggested we hold off on writing it up until she sent me photos of her ingress/egress. She did and I could tell it wasn't going to go in the house. When I explained to her it was not deliverable into the space she wanted it to go into - that was not what she wanted to hear. She said we should try to get it in, other stores would make the attempt first, why didn't we?

Well, I've been doing this 32 years now so I can pretty much tell what goes in a spot and what doesn't. Experience is a formidable teacher. This is a 475 lb sofa, it's not something you spin this way and that like you can do with a 200 lb sofa. Two men have a very hard time delivering these pieces and they need a straight shot into the room with wide doors and openings. When you try to jam the sofa in, you wind up injuring your delivery guys, punching holes in drywall, and tearing up the sofa. This in addition to a couple of hours on site padding up door jambs, clearing spaces and taking doors off hinges. When it doesn't fit in then I have two exhausted men, am out of pocket about $ 200 for the delivery attempt and have to repair the sofa. Who wants to do that? Not me!

I suggested we use modular pieces, where we are really making a sectional and can put it all together once inside the room. That's more costly than a 1-piece unit though and she wasn't keen on spending more.

I did tell her however, if she wanted it placed in her garage we would do so at a reduced delivery price and she could hire her own workers to get in in and around the obstacles. At that point its out of my hands and I am not responsible for damages or injuries.

So the moral of the story is before you get your heart set on these big, heavy pieces - know there are no magic tricks to defy the laws of physics. Look at your pathways to see if they will even come close to fitting through where you want them to go.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Some people just don't get it. I have been delivering antique furniture from area shops and shows for almost 40 years. We once had a delivery of an armoire that literally had a safe built into it. Very heavy unit that required 4 of us to deliver. When we got to the house I scoped out the path of egress which was a second floor bedroom up a set of stairs with a 90 degree turn and down a narrow hallway to the master bedroom in a 1970's house. I told the lady we could make it up the stairs but there was not enough room to make the turn into the bedroom. I even took measurements and showed her how it would not fit and the only way to make it was to completely remove the door jamb, which was not part of the service, and even that was suspect and would depend on the amount of rough opening left with the jamb removed. She insisted we try so we lugged the unit up and physically showed her it would not work. We then asked where she wanted us to put it and she said leave it in the hallway, which was now impassable, and her husband could deal with it when he got home. We left, never heard the outcome but would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to hear her husbands reaction when he got home.