Thread: Suggestion for recliner to compliment my new H&M sofa

mommato4 Guest

Default Suggestion for recliner to compliment my new H&M sofa

I received my 25th Wedding Aniversary gift today! It's a beautiful H&M #4487McNary Sofa in Fenway Saddle. I would like to find a leather recliner that complements this style and leather. Prefer not to match exactly.

The chair would mostly be used by my husband, who is 6'1 (and long-legged) and 200 lb. Comfort is important to him. I would prefer a chair w/ottoman but he wants a recliner. (It's his anniversay too)

I need to stay in grade 1 or 2 leathers. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofa2.jpg 
Views:	677 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	497  

mommato4 Guest

Default Re: Suggestion for recliner to compliment my new H&M sofa

I need to make a correction on this post. The leather is not Fenway Saddle but Fenway Tobacco. The H&M website on this leather seems to have a grey tone to it but it's really a rich dark brown in person.
    To me it's beautiful.
    I have also ordered it on a Miller recliner. Can't Wait!

janycer Guest

I really like the look of the McNary in your room. I have my eye on that sofa as a possibility. The Miller recliner should be a nice compliment to it.

mommato4 Guest

Thanks for your nice comments. I am so proud of it. It is so soft and comfortable. I don't think I would have chosen a tight back sofa before, but I was able to sit on it at a local dealers store and really liked the look of it. Plus, Duane said I got a steal. Glad to know you think the Miller chair was a good choice. We were torn. Since I've begun reading this forum I've learned so much about the quality of furniture and we feel good about our decision to purchase even though it hurt our pocketbook!

otbricki Guest

I'm now thinking about Downes sofa and chair plus a tilt chair. The chairs would be in the same area of a multipurpose room that is 17' x 22'. The Downes chair would be used by my wife who is about 5'2". The tilt chair would be for me; I'm about 6'. I like to tilt back and otherwise get horizontal on the furniture. What I am wondering is that since most of the tilt chairs are several inches taller than the Downes if this will look ok. I'd be interested in your opinion as to what might work best for a tilt chair along with the Downes.

It's going to be the Austin series, which is not bad, because they are hugely comfortable. The austin has a similar foot/leg design and rolled arm. There are no that many tilt back styles to choose from at H&M (half a dozen). At 6" in height you're going to want the high back model, the # 2038 NB with the 8131NB ottoman. I'd also recommend getting the Q21 cushion cores with it, both seat and back. Its a no-cost modification, and they are 'extra-full'. For some reason the Austin Tilt Backs seem to be a little light on cushion core fill (IMHO), and after being used for a few months, the leather is 'loose' on the casings. The Q21's make them look a tad overstuffed when brand new, but after a month of use - they're perfect.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

otbricki Guest

Can you give me a price estimate for grade 2 and grade 3 leather on the Downes sofa, Downes Chair and the Austin 2038 NB with the 8131NB ottoman?

My current inclination is to go with welt rather than nails if that makes a difference.

Shipping is to Freehold NJ 07728.

Surely! Welt trim or nail, whichever you prefer. H&M is the only leather house that I know of that lets you do a nail delete without a surcharge.

# 1847 Downes Sofa:

class 2: $ 3,038
    class 3: $ 3,934

# 1845 Downes Chair:

class 2: $ 1,939
    class 3: $ 2,107

# 2038NB Austin High Back Tilt

class 2: $ 2,051
    class 3: $ 2,198

# 8131NB Ottoman

class 2: $ 637
    class 3: $ 679

Not sure how many pieces we are shipping? Al 4? If so, then about $ 375 for the group.
    Duane Collie

otbricki Guest

Yes, the shipping would be for 4 pieces.

Looks like I will be able to afford a grade 3 leather. Probably an Antelope for the Austin chair and Ottoman because that's where the food is most likely to be, along with most of the wear and tear. I have to think a bit about the Downes pieces. Not sure if I want to try a full aniline for these or not. I don't have pets, the children are older now and the windows in the room they are going into are new and have a low-E coating that reduces UV by 50%, and they are shaded by trees somewhat also so I'm not too worried about fading. However nice leather is so sensuous I think there may be some other activities on these pieces and I'm not digging the idea of stains.

Of the grade 3's what do you think the best full aniline in browns to complement the Antelope might be? Would that be substantially nicer than Antelope in terms of feel or not?

Also I am thinking about getting these into my house. I have a front entry into a small foyer that is just off the living room. The entry is 35" max, 34" with the door on the hinges. The foyer is 72" deep and then you have to make a U turn to get to the living room. Does this sound difficult? I am pretty optimistic because I have piece already that is close to the size of the Downes sofa.

Antelope is a great hide. 90% of the luxury and elegance of a pure aniline and yet its fully protected. Its a hard one to beat.

As for pure aniline's - unless the 'other activities' include changing your car's oil on it or polishing the good silver atop it, you should be good to go. I don't shy away from pure aniline leather in the least, and in my experience its heavy oils and acid-based liquids that cause the majority of staining problems. There are protective creams and sunscreens that can go on the leather as well, if needed.

Best of the pure anilines? You'll have to go to grade 4 and look at Capri, Quintessence or Montana to get the real sensuous hides. (Capri, Quintessence and Antelope all source from the same tannery in Germany).

You won't have any egress issues at all with those openings for the pieces you are looking at doing.
    Duane Collie