Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on Hancock and Moore

Default Questions on Hancock and Moore

Duane, that was a perfect and straight-to-the-point answer. Thank you so much. I submitted a quote and will wait to hear back from you.

In the meantime, we have a 12' x 13' living room space, thanks to a recent shift from home ownership to apartment renting. I am heading to medical school and thus we may be doing the apartment thing for some time, haha! If you have access to or recall my quote from early this morning, do you have any recommendations for sofas and/or sectionals based on our small living space? I've read you recommendation for two sofas over one sectional due to pricing and practicality (moving every 7 years and such), so am leaning more toward the sofa direction. Just thought I'd get some insight. I'll upload a pic of what the living room layout looks like in case that helps.

Apologies... I should include the options we're considering in case you're away from the office and/or don't have the time to look at my quote request today. We're interested in the September, Journey, Redford, and City Sofas, the September and Journey Power Recliners, and the September Sectional. Oh... my wife says also the Sundance Sofa, haha! Sorry for the laundry list. Some of these weren't in my quote request, but I'm hoping you can look at the photo of our space and help rule some options out. Not sure if a sectional will even fit. We also have a "chair-and-a-half" that we will likely keep when we toss our old sofa, as it's comfy, barely broken in and such a nice size. If we get a sectionalist he chair might go. If we get a sofa, the chair will stay.

Thanks again for all of your help and sorry for the long-winded post.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Living Room Photo.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	11315
    Last edited by skeptastic; 11-11-2018 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added photo

Default Re: Hancock and Moore's JUST IN TIME PROGRAM effective March 1, 2017

So, not all H&M is made in North Carolina?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The differences are:

JUST IN TIME : Ships in three weeks. More aggressive price points, limited frame and leather choices. Most are Cut and Sewn items that are done in China and subject to tariffs
    Last edited by Scott_S; 11-11-2018 at 02:06 PM. Reason: left out a critical word

Default Re: Questions on Hancock and Moore

Moved to a new thread.

I would rule out a sectional of any kind as well as the Sundance and Redford, as those have curved backs and are designed to float in the room, not go against the wall. Your space is compact, don't overfill it. Motion sofas are very heavy and I would avoid if you are going to be moving - they are real back-breakers.

In your space, one nice sofa like the September, Journey or City and possibly one chair, one ottoman. That's about it.

Hancock and Moore is 100% made in the USA, however components can be imported. Leathers come from around the world as there are only a few that are from the USA. Best hides from Europe, least costly ones from China. Any Married Cover item is cut and sewn in China, hence subject to tariffs imposed by the Trump Administration. Tariffs are currently 3%, going to 25% on Jan 1.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Moved to a new thread.

Hancock and Moore is 100% made in the USA, however components can be imported. Leathers come from around the world as there are only a few that are from the USA. Best hides from Europe, least costly ones from China. Any Married Cover item is cut and sewn in China, hence subject to tariffs imposed by the Trump Administration. Tariffs are currently 3%, going to 25% on Jan 1.
    Thanks for the clarification Duane. What is meant by "Married Cover"?

I will try to come by the Keeping Room later this week and do some shopping.

-Scott

Please read into Post # 2 in this thread : http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-FORUM-lt-READ
    Duane Collie

Thank you for your reply Duane. I hand't seen this reply before posting in another thread you and I were conversing in, so you can ignore that post if you see this reply first. That narrows things down perfectly.

Are any of the ottomans ever included in a promotional program? I know they're fairly costly at retail and thus worry we'll have to get one that isn't the same brand as the sofa if we want to keep costs down. We won't be spending as much time on the ottoman, or placing as much weight on it, so it does seem that getting one at a lower cost from a less-reputable brand might be an okay decision, though we're certainly uneducated when it comes to ottomans. Any thoughts?

The information about imported materials and tariffs is appreciated. Sounds like prices are going to rise in the very near future.

If you've received our quote request, you can scratch the sectionals, Sundance, Redford, and power recliners from the quote. Just the City, September, Journey, and any recommended ottomans would be perfect. Thank you again!

The primer on leather was such a great read. I'd read it a few years back when we last discussed some sofas, but going through it again made me realize I am starting over and needed the refresher. Thanks for the work you put into this site.

In your space, one nice sofa like the September, Journey or City and possibly one chair, one ottoman. That's about it.
    Hey Duane,

Which sofas (if any) in the Bradington-Young line compare to the H and M City, September, and Journey sofas? Just doing one last check to see if perhaps a price difference would warrant considering B-Y.

They are not comparable in my opinion. While they may both look like the same kind of furniture they are built differently. It would be like comparing a Mercedes Benz to a Chevrolet. Both are fine products in their market niche, but one is at a higher tier so direct comparisons are difficult to make. I will do a photo essay comparison between the two brands later on - I have a B-Y chair on order I will use against a similar-looking H&M that is already on the floor.
    Duane Collie

Oh yes, I've read about them being in different tiers in many of your threads and they have been very, very informative. I just meant comparable in terms of appearance/style. In other words, I'm just wondering if B-Y makes a sofa similar in appearance to, say, the City Sofa and if that B-Y sofa comes in at a much lower price point. I'm guessing that the promotional programs bring the price points in line with one another, which would make the H and M a no-brainer, but I wanted to check to be sure. With three children and having recently moved out-of-state, savings are a big deal when they make sense.