Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions on Hancock and Moore

Default Re: Questions on Hancock and Moore

Check the B-Y Website for available styles.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Hi Duane,

I was certain we would pull the trigger on a new sofa before 2019 came around but my wife and I are both a bit concerned about this 4-year-old tasmanian devil that we live with. We definitely understand the quality of furniture we're getting in an H & M piece and want to go that route but are worried that maybe it's not the right time, with how difficult it can be to control children of this age. Do you have any advice or insight about purchasing such a fine piece, it's durability, or perhaps what you would do in our situation? We were thinking of getting some junk to last us two years and then grabbing an H & M piece once the little one ages a bit and is more settled. I'm just not even sure if there is anything that will last two years that saves enough to warrant not getting an H & M piece now.

My thoughts on that are to buy the very best piece you can afford for the family room sofa - the reason being its the hardest used piece in the house next to maybe kitchen barstools. That stout construction (solid maple frame) of a Hancock and Moore means it isn't going to have frame flex, the steel band-reinforced webbing that holds the 8-way hand-tied springs is on there so well I have never seen one fail or falter. Their free-cushion-core policy means if you just absolutely kill the cushion interiors, a simple email to your dealer means a new set shows up at your home three weeks later and you toss out the old ones and install the new ones. So now all you have to do is take care of the leather and that's not too hard:

1) Don't have magic markers or Sharpies in the house with young children. That the leading cause of damage by little ones - they draw on the leather with them and since they have permanent ink it won't come out. And of course, no knives/scissors etc near the leather which no parent is going to let them have anyways. Try to avoid having them use a sofa as a trampoline - that's hard on a sofa but usually won't damage a well-made one.

2) Keep it cleaned and conditioned on the leather.

Buy one out of the Just in Time Program - they are priced the best at around $ 3K +/-. Get a basic sofa like the Ricki, City or September and unless my guess you will say in ten years "That was a good buy", and likely will still be around to put in your Son's/Daughter's first apartment when they get that real job out of college. That's where all my first buys on my leather furniture now live that we bought in the mid-1980's, one set is in Richmond VA with my son and the other downtown Washington DC with my daughter.

If you can destroy a Hancock and Moore sofa in less that ten years you will be the first one I have ever heard to do it, short of setting it on fire or water damage, they simply don't fail.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you, Duane. We're still discussing a cheap Costco piece that we can use for two years while our daughter matures and then getting an H&M at that time, versus getting the H&M now. I appreciate all of the info you've provided, as well as the insight.