Thread: creaking sound on the wood floor

Default creaking sound on the wood floor

Hey,
    I recently moved to a rented place with my family in Muskoka. The house seems alright and was within our budget but the flooring here was slightly damaged and the planks have a creaking noise. I know the flooring costs a lot. But I don't have that kind of money. It's hard living here with the floor damaged. I contacted some old friends in Muskoka about the plank flooring and they told to replace only the damaged ones. Even though only a few planks are damaged, many of the planks have the creaking sound. Do you guys know any solution to this? Any suggestion is welcomed.
    Last edited by drcollie; 11-28-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Default Re: creaking sound on the wood floor

Most old wood floors creak, you just get used to it after a bit. Is it like just regular wood floor creaking or something different? If it is a rental there is probably not much you can do unless you just want to put money into a house that is not yours. Is your landlord willing to fix the damaged parts or by damaged do you just mean regular scuffs and scratches?

I put in my own unfinished hardwood floor so I have a good idea how they work. Squeaks almost always come from a space between the boards and the plywood subfloor or floor joists if there is no subfloor, causing the board to move and squeak when you step on it. Weather you would like it more or worse if it was fixed depends on how damaged it is. If screws are inserted through the floor to suck it down tight to the subfloor the squeak goes away. However that can make the floor uneven if the there is severe warping in the subfloor. If it is a space between the floor boards or subfloor and the floor joists you can put shims in to take up the space and firm up the floor from underneath without making the floor boards uneven. That is what I had to do because just screwing or nailing the boards down tight caused the boarders to be very uneven because the underlying joists were warped. So nailing boards down to a warped beam caused them to warp also. Hope I explained that clearly. Do you own the house or rent it? If you are renting there probably isn’t much you are going to want to do. But technically you could place some shims where the sqeeks are for little money and leave them there or just pull them out when you leave. You just buy rthe shims and hammer them in between the floor joists and floor board from underneath. It helps if you have someone stepping on the floor from above while you locate the area from below. When you find where the board is moving just hammer one or more shims into the space until it stops moving and squeaking when it is stopped on. If there is a finished ceiling below the floor like a floor on a second story, you can’t do much without getting into more extensive and expensive repairs. Hope that helps.

There are no enchantment arrangements or magic

I take a nailer, discover the joists precisely, stamp them with a chalk line, shoot a huge amount of nails into the joists. Got the opportunity to be extremely mindful so as not to hit any channels or wires. Talking utilizing 3.5" nails control driven and bunches of them.

At that point to conceal everything you more often than not need to cover the floor with another thin layer like pressed wood or whatever. At that point cover the entire thing. No more squeaks. Kind of additionally puts a layer of rosin paper or material felt between the layers. I additionally utilize a thin layer of tar on the two sides of the paper/felt.

Hi All,

I am currently installing some 83mm real wood (18 mm thick) flooring using metal clips.

However, after testing the first four rows, I have noticed that it creaks noticeably when I walk on it.

Can anyone tell me how to prevent this same noise from occurring for the rest of the floor I am about to lay?

i.e. Anything I need to keep in mind while fixing the clips? Or something I can add to the joints to prevent the creaking?

I've installed hardwood floors before (including a beautiful 8" wide natural cherry one I had custom-milled for one of my homes) and have never used or am familiar with this wood clip variant. A look at the videos of them shows them to be the quick n' easy but they are going to float - and anything floating is always going to make noise, I don't think it's avoidable. Only a rigid floor done over proper overlayment that is nailed in is going to be quiet. That's just my opinion in working with floors and hardwood furniture over the decades. If quiet is important, you best go back to traditional installation methods (Air-powered floor nailers are the way to go). DO NOT put anything in the joints, the floor is going to move with seasons and the joints need to be able to sustain movement.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I also used an air powered flooring nailer to install my hardwood floor. Family members have installed floating floors, though, although they were not hardwood, without any squeaking. I looked at a short you tube video and it did say that the underlying floor has to be very level and flat. Since squeaking is caused by movement of the wood, even in a nail down installation, I strongly suspect that the floor you are putting it on is not uniformly flat and level enough for that type of installation. Remove the boards in the areas it is squeaking and use a good long straight edge to check it. For my floor I used a 3-4 foot level or a metal yardstick on its edge. I used the yardstick until I got the level.
    Last edited by SueCT; 01-15-2019 at 12:41 PM.