Thread: It's over - Goodbye

Default It's over - Goodbye

I've been with your twice as long as I've been married, we started our relationship when I was just four years old, I think. You've been a constant through the years - steady as a rock and I looked forward to being with you every single day of my life. When we went to Europe on vacation, I missed you terribly, I really did. But you were no good for me, and it took over six decades for me to break the bond. You were too sweet, and made me fat. Some say you are no good for my liver, and I know all about liver problems. It's hard to give you up, but I have. I must,.

Goodbye, Dr. Pepper.

I wasn't sure I could make it without you, there were certainly times I wanted to cheat. But I know our split is for the best. I think back to the days when I used to call you "The Nectar of the Gods", and I'm sure you understand the willpower it took to distance myself from not only you, but your cousins Ice Cream, Pastries and French Fries.

I'm doing OK, better without you. Mr Water has taken your place, Doc. There's not the excitement and adventure and certainly no lip-smacking tingle from your carbonation - but Mr. Water is better for me, and healthier. You want me to be healthy, right?

You are no longer in the fridge. I no longer have the cravings. I did re-visit you a few days ago, just to see what a tryst with my old love would be like. You were the same as always, but I lack the passion I once had, whatever we had once was gone. It just wasn't as good as I remembered.

Farewell, Dr. Pepper. You may see me from time to time, a sip here or there, but our affair is over. Don't feel too bad though, I also kicked Popeye The Fried Chicken and that Five Guys fellow to the curb as well.

Fond of the Memories,

DRC
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum
    I ask that you do NOT call my store with general furniture questions, that is what the forum is for

Default Re: It's over - Goodbye

I feel you Duane. I grew up in the south drinking Dr Pepper and sweet tea all the time. I gave up all sodas a few years ago and have been on-again/off-again with tea for a while. It is a hard habit to stop, especially when the winter months come and I want something more than water to drink.

I'm hittin' it hard. I'm down 19 lbs in 45 days and not letting up. At my current rate of diet modification and exercise I'll be at my target weight of 175 lb by mid-Summer 2019.

When I swore off the sodas and decided to do something about obesity it was October 15th and I was 274 lb. Now its Dec 2nd I'm 255 lb and staying the course. You know, it's not that hard to do, just have to get your head around it. I found out used exercise equipment is REALLY CHEAP so outfitted the basement and do a pretty intense morning workout in conjunction with totally revamping my eating habits.

But you can't have my unsweetened ice tea...lol...That's my mainstay.
    Duane Collie
    I ask that you do NOT call my store with general furniture questions, that is what the forum is for

My friend Jan in Seattle WA who works at Microsoft is guiding me on workouts and nutrition. He did 1001 strokes on his rower in 30 minutes today, so tonight I went into the basement to see how many I could do. 618 strokes in 25 minutes and I was out of gas! Not sure how I'm going to find another 400 strokes in 5 more minutes but its a goal to work towards. I'll do a half hour on the bike in the morning before heading to the store tomorrow.

Now here's the interesting part of all this diet and exercise. I'm down 21 pounds and my back no longer hurts. Not one bit. Is it the weight loss or the exercise? Or both? Doesn't really matter I guess, it just no longer aches and that's such a huge bonus. I have customers come in all the time looking for a mattress or a recliner that relieves their back pain and I personally don't think there is any one piece of furniture or bedding that is going to do that. I have a couple of orthopedic surgeons that shop with me and have for a long time and they tell me the same thing - want your back to stop hurting lose some weight and do some exercise. You know what? THEY WERE RIGHT!

Thanks to forum member and customer Wendy who gave me her Nordic Trac Elliptical for my workout room in the basement. She and her husband are moving out of state and were not taking it with them, and I just happen to have a furniture truck with a liftgate for that heavy beast so in my basement it went! That machine will really tear you up. It's HARD.

My wife is surprised I have used all this stuff every day. Guess most people buy it with good intentions and pretty quickly it's used to hang clothes on. I like this MUCH better that going to a gym because I don't have to get in a car and drive 25 minutes each way. I use it 30 to 60 minutes a day and alternate machines.

The key of course is the TV flat panel on the wall. I put on a Netflix show for 30 minutes and it keeps me from being bored. It's the only thing I bought new, the rest of the equipment all came off Craigslist for pennies on the dollar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0105.HEIC.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	11416
    Last edited by drcollie; 23 Hours Ago at 11:07 PM.
    Duane Collie