Thread: Apple Watch Series 4 Review

Default Apple Watch Series 4 Review

Best New Gadget Ever, short of the original iPhone. Finally they have this thing where it should have been, I did buy a series 3 watch and returned it after two days when it came out. This series 4 is fully developed and well worth the price in my opinion.

I thought what I would like the best would be the phone and text features on it, so I could leave my iPhone at home on a bike ride or on my desk when out unloading a truck and it's very good for that, but what I really love is the Fitness Tracker since I am on a quest to lose weight and get fit. It's all automatic on the watch, and it can tell if you are doing an outdoor walk or on an indoor rowing machine and will start itself and record it. Then if gives you a daily recap via a visual display ring and more details if you want them. It's like a Fitbit on steroids.

Here's my recap since it was given to me as a gift on Christmas Day by my kids and wife; The Red ring is your total calorie burn for the day, the Green ring is your fitness goals that you have preset based on height/weight/sex/age and desired activity level, and the blue ring is how much you should be standing up per day. When the ring is closed you have met your goal. It's a real motivator. I have mine set to max workout goal since I am hitting the workouts hard and dropping weight. As you can see I had one day sitting on my butt at work, Dec 28th doing paperwork most all day.

Any of you with an iPhone 6 or newer should consider buying one of these, they're terrific. Not only do they have a multitude of tricks they do - if you forget your phone at home (I frequently do) then you have everything on your wrist with you except the camera.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	11462
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Apple Watch Series 4 Review

Nice job on the workouts Duane. My wife upgraded a couple of months ago from a Series 1 to the latest Series 4 and it was a nice improvement for her too. They are almost to the point I want one for myself, I wear a watch when I go out but not around the house so unless I change my habit it has less utility for me. That and the extra $170 a year on the phone bill for the cell plan!

Wow! $ 170 added to your phone plan, Dan? What carrier are you using? I have Verizon and its $ 10 a month. Well worth it for me, especially when I'm outside unloading trucks and can transfer the phone calls to it without having to have a cell phone in danger of getting crushed. One other thing I've noticed too is this watch is so light I don't even know I have it on, compared to what I used to wear every day - Rolex Submariner.
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-01-2019 at 10:58 AM.
    Duane Collie

Yeah she has AT&T and it is $10 per month plus $4 in fees/taxes = $168 a year. My phone is through Verizon but is a corporate account paid through work, I would have to see how that works if I want to link a personal watch to it.

5. Default Re: Apple Watch Series 4 Review

Thanks for your review.

Duane, have you used any of the heart functions yet, specifically the EKG (aka ECG)? I have a 3, and love it, but now my wife wants one, and after the loss of our newborn daughter due to a cardiac issue we're really looking into the 4 for both of us--not that we should have any issues, based on what we've learned, but we're still in "abundance of caution" mode.

Yes, I use the heart rate function every day. Not only BPM, but test the EKG about once a week as well. Not only that, but Series 4 allows you to leave (or forget) your phone at home or on your desk and still give you the critical functions of your iPhone (Calls, Texts, Emails, Weather, etc). Now when I go out on bicycle rides, I love not having to take the phone in a seat pack (more weight). I had a series 3 for three days and returned it, but the Series 4 is a keeper.
    Duane Collie