Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sofa, Loveseat & Recliner Advice

Question New Sofa, Loveseat & Recliner Advice

Hello,

I'm a family of 6 (Husband, Wife, 10 yo, 8 yo, 2 yo, and 97 yo father) in the market for either a stationary or reclining sofa. I'm looking for a mix of quality and price reasonableness (best value).

Husband: 5' 11" and around 185 pounds
    Wife: 5' 8" and around 150 pounds

Objectives: Firm Seat & Back (I don't want to sink in, and need lumbar support/firm back).

What we have looked at so far and like the feel of (but are concerned about the reviews/quality)

Flexsteel Latitude: Cade (Made in China)
    Flexsteel: Catalina (Pro: Made in USA, Con - Exensive for Leather Upgrade, concerned about motion for fabric, piling).
    Palliser: Asher (Pro: Made in N America, Con, Reviews)
    Hooker: Mowry (Pro: All Leather, Concern: All leather is Split Leather)
    La-z-Boy: Talladega (Concern: Reviews)

In consideration but cannot sit in it is a Costco purchase of:
    Pulaski: Davis

I'm open to spending more for something that will last and withstand children but am not sure where or what to look for. Everything we have listed so far is reclining, but that's mainly because that's what the showrooms have that are more on the firm side.

Any thoughts on the pros/cons of the above listings, brands, or recommendations for a higher quality similiar feel in either reclining or stationiary (If we get reclining we'd like the adjustable headrest also).

Also, any thoughts on reclining furniture with either Leather/Vinyl vs Pollyester - does one wear better with the motion?

Thanks

Default Re: New Sofa, Loveseat & Recliner Advice

Attachment 11470

Also - I found a Bradington Young Stationary Sofa and Power Recliner on clearance (Floor model?) at a local store, Bradington Young Warner I believe.

Sofa: $2395
    Power Recliner: $1475

Within the trade space does this seem like the best option and a reasonable price and a better value?

Thanks,

I would take a Bradington Young over those other brands listed. I am not sure how 'good' that price is on the clearance model you posted, it seems average to me but I could be out of touch - hopefully someone else will comment. I would run away from La-z-boy and anything you buy at Costco count yourself lucky if it lasts longer than a dollar per day ($500 dollars = 500 days of life).

For couch lumbar support I have taken to using a small pillow for my lower back. Recliners are good for it though while you are reclined so if you are open a regular sofa + recliner combo that is a good way to go. With six people I expect the more seating the better for you guys. My experience though is once you get one recliner someone else in your house will want one too!

Okay,

After extensive searching today I am about to go try out a H&M Austin.

I’m thinking the Just in Time/Married Cover could meet our needs. At what height do folks generally go to the high back version? Is their a loveseat? And is their a power headrest style recliner that would work with it? One I figure out what is available and makes sense for our family I’d like to get it quoted. I’m open to paying a premium for quality and longevity it it makes sense.

Is their another line I should be considering?

What do the cushions do over time on The Austin as far as sagging?

Thanks!

Spend more and get H&M, you won't be disappointed.

I will sell appx ten High Back models (8138NB) for every standard back (8134NB) in the Austin series. Generally - anyone 5' 8" and under will prefer the standard, taller goes with the High Back unit. Yes, there is a loveseat, you can see photos here in the archives on the forum, plenty of them. In the Just in Time promotion, Sofa and Loveseat are the same price. They do not have articulating headrests. Suspensions never sag on H&M, never. If your cores lose their resilience you may request new ones at no charge for both seat and back from your selling dealer (this offer good only to the original, registered owner). New pricing goes into effect on Tuesday, January 15th on these pieces.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I recently ordered the Hooker Aviator/Lincoln from Duane. I haven’t received it yet, but you may want to check it out. It’s not the quality of HM but it’s not the price either. I chose it because I was afraid that my children and their friends may be unfriendly to a more expensive piece and I didn’t want to have the angst of worrying and nagging. Good luck in your search! Duane is a wealth of knowledge and was so helpful to me!

Thanks,

We've traveled far and wide and narrowed it down to the Hancock and Moore Journey Series and currently thinking:

Color: Document Tobacco (T&C Color)

Sofa
    Lounger x 2
    Ottoman

We were originally thinking of a Sofa and a Loveseat, but with it at the same price as the sofa, we decided to seriously consider with 2 loungers. We were also thinking about the Chair and Ottoman in the place of one of the Loungers, but the height is a little different than the lounger (and it's more expensive and doesn't recline) therefore we thought it would be better to just do 2 loungers.

Has anyone used an ottoman in front of a lounger (just wouldn't recline) instead of a stationary chair/ottoman. We may want to use the Ottoman at the sofa also which is why I thought we'd get one.

Also, we sat in it in the ultra plush and it was too soft for me, what are the steps up from that? If we prefer a bit firmer, recommendations on cushions on the Journey? What's the "standard" cushion?

Thoughts?
    Thanks,

Why would you put an ottoman in front of a recliner? That doesn't make sense to me since isn't that the reason to pay more for a recliner in the first place? Would you go with power on the recliners (to save wear and tear) or manual? The power is a good choice but the trade off is it costs more and you need to plug it in (unless you get a battery model which is even more $$).

I like an ottoman in front of the sofa, more comfortable than a coffee table, and safer too with a 2 year old running around. One suggestion would be to maybe get a different color ottoman than the rest of the furniture, something that coordinates with your room and provides a bit of variety. Could even go fabric if you find one you like. We have a button tufted fabric H&M ottoman and it is comfortable while still being firm enough if you want to keep books or a tray on it. Doubles as a bench too if you have a lot of people over for the holidays or something and you can move it to the side.

On the cushions I think the next step up is the ultra down. Do a search here for ultra down and you'll find some mentions to confirm.
    Last edited by Danw99; 01-10-2019 at 10:59 PM.

The ottoman will cause an interference with the recliner as Dan points out, I'd not order one if the intent is to use it as such with a recliner - save the money.

If you like the idea of an ottoman, you would be better off to get a tilt back chair with the ottoman and forego one of the recliners. While the Journey series does not have a tilt back unit, the most excellent Westwood # 2062 series does. The styles will mesh well together and I personally would go use that Westwood Tilt Back in preference to the Journey Lounger every time. I think that unit is probably the finest sitting chair in the entire H&M lineup at this time.

However, the Westwood 2062 does not appear in either of the promotional programs so it would be a higher cost.

H&M does not have an Ultra Plush cushion - you were probably trying out Ultra Down. If too soft, then go back to the standard Qualux 18 oz cores. The Journey series is designed to be "softer" than many of their other pieces. You can go Plus 1 firmness in the seats (21 oz) as well at no extra charge if you like.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.