Thread: Tacky resin decorative molding

Default Tacky resin decorative molding

I have an Alico dining room set which I purchased used. The chairs and the table have some decorative molding around the perimeter. On some, but not all, of those chairs, that molding is tacky. I tried cleaning with warm water and Dawn, but no joy. I think the manufacturer did not use the proper resin formula and the resin did not cure properly. Question is, is there some sort of hardener or clear coat I can brush over the molding to harden the surface?

The picture below is shows the decorative molding in question, on the seat back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chair Molding.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	11471

Default Re: Tacky resin decorative molding

From the looks and what you said it sounds to me like the finish is just breaking down and has gotten grimy, and the spots it is happening is probably where the chairs were touched most often as skin oils and friction will cause it to happen faster. Take a look at this article and see if it is helpful.

If its sticky, like Mercedes and Ferrari buttons from the 90's and 00's, there is nothing you can do to fix it. You can't apply anything over sticky, it will sluff off. Trying to remove it with a solvent has a high chance of damaging it to the point you would have to dispose of it. Contact the manufacturer for advice is my recommendation.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Danw99 View Post
    From the looks and what you said it sounds to me like the finish is just breaking down and has gotten grimy, and the spots it is happening is probably where the chairs were touched most often as skin oils and friction will cause it to happen faster. Take a look at this article and see if it is helpful.
    Thanks for the link, but that's not it. The wood on either side of the resin insert does not exhibit the same problem. I think it's a resin problem. Based on some more research, I've ordered some Mod Podge Hard Coat for Furniture and will do a test application to see how that works.

Mod-Podge for Furniture seems to have done the trick. It's white when it goes on, but it dries clear and hard. We'll see how it holds up.
    Here's the link to Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/y9npcgdv