Thread: Hancock & Moore Recliner; Are There Any Options We Should Request?

Default Hancock & Moore Recliner; Are There Any Options We Should Request?

We're close to ordering three (3) Hancock & Moore "Powell" (#1089) A/C power recliners via the JIT "Just In Time Program" in "Document Ocean" leather.

Are there any optional or alternate internal cushion fabrications or something else that is functional or aesthetic that H&M offers that we should consider requesting? Cushion density and hence durability, is one of the big wear areas on a piece of furniture. I would assume that H&M uses some of the best cushioning material in the industry. But is there a recommended optional material/construction for this recliner that will provide more support and durability?

Hip arthritis and spinal stenosis has taken its toll. I use crutches &/or walkers and must sit with my legs up much more than I prefer. Spinal lumbar support is critical. So my question centers around that. I just don't want to miss out on a H&M option due to a lack of knowing it exists.

As a tip, I've found a recliner's INTERNAL dimensions to be critical for long term comfort, especially in my situation. I've isolated seat depth as the most important. NOTE: If NOT reclined, seat height also becomes a more critical factor.

I'm average height with a long torso, BUT short legs. For me, it's generally uncomfortable sitting in a recliner with a seat depth greater than 20". I seem to must keep scooting back-in-it, to get the lumbar support I so need. I first noticed this at a friends. He was proud of his new power recliner and graciously, wanted me to take the "best" seat in the house. For me it was the opposite. Thereafter, over the course of recliner shopping, it dawned on me that my friend's recliner was uncomfortable not because of the manufacturer or overall design, but because my friend was over 6' with long legs and he benefited from a chair that had a deeper seat. Thereafter, I comparison shopped by finding a comfortable recliner and then viewed its dimensions. I found that even between manufacturers and styles, comfort for me was more dimension related than anything else. Duane, am I on the right track here. Is my experience translatable to others?

Lastly, I was directed to Duane's forum after several furniture searches. Without finding this forum, I wouldn't have gotten to know such great furniture brands as Hancock & Moore and Bradington Young. More importantly, I wouldn't have known of cost reduction programs that use married leathers like the H&M's JIT program (http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...e-March-1-2017). Without this knowledge, we wouldn't be on the verge of obtaining a well constructed and tailored recliner at a high -- but given the quality -- a really competitive price. Thanks for hosting and sharing your knowledge and professional experience Duane!!!

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Recliner; Are There Any Options We Should Request?

My suggestion since you are ordering (3), is to get one of them with different cushion cores other than having all three built to the same spec. That way you can pick the one for yourself that suits you the best and go back and forth between them. What I find too, is that having an option to go from say a firmer one to one more plush is a luxury that you will enjoy, because there will be days you want the firm and days you want the plush.

So: Options:

Standard cores is generally an 18 oz DuPont Qualux Seat, Fiber Fill Back.

Firmer is stepping up to a 21 oz Dupont Qualux Seat and then doing an overfill of appx 15 % of the fiber fill on the backs. No charge for either of these and you can do one, or both.

Ultra Down is more plush, and has an upcharge of $ 80 for the seat and $73 for the back. You can do both, or just one segment.

Document is a soft, pliable leather. My recommendation would be stay standard for most folks. Extra firm can mean you will more "On Top" of the unit than settled into it. Keep in mind the cores are all sealed up, you can't reach in and add or take out materials.

Hope that helps.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks so much for 1) the suggestions and 2) citing the options and pricing.

All 3 recliners will be lined-up, so changing it-up (as it were) is a superb idea. When I read your comment, I thought of a paraphrase of an old ad jingle: "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't." Ads sure stick with us don't they!?!

My weight is 230 lbs. Do you feel that suggests a firmer preference over the standard -- i.e. go with (1) Standard Powell and (2) Firmer ones?

We have 100% natural 4 individual layers LATEX (Dunlop/Talalay Processes) in a 100% LATEX mattress. It did take a couple nights to get used to 100% Latex, verses coil springs. That is, as you said with Firm, you tend to sleep "On Top" of Latex as opposed to "Settling" In it. I don't know if you can draw a correlation from this? But might this this mean that there is a greater likely hood that we may more like H&M FIRM than most do?

Because I'm seeking support (above all else in a recliner), I'm unsure about the Plush? As a % of the total chair cost, the cost up charge is NOT a decision point -- I would gladly pay it, if I were to benefit from it. Without "living" in one WITH and one WITHOUT, it's impossible to hazard a guess. What say you? Do you prefer either Firm or Plush? For your personal use, which one(s) of the 3 is your preference.

All the best and thanks!

Keep in mind pricing is from my store, each dealer sets their own.

I can't really say what will suit you - its to much up to the individual. My experience has been that most (but not all) customers who go extra firm / extra full in recliners soon regret it because they say there is not enough "cush" in the cores

I find many people DO like the Ultra Down in their recliners.

If I were you, since you are looking at lumbar - I might think I'd order one with Standard cores, one with Standard and the lower bolster only in overfilled, and them one with Ultra Down seat and Back. That gives you (3) variations, nothing too extreme. My guess is you will wind up alternating to the Down unit, and to the one with the extra full bolster depending on how your back feels on a given day. But its just a guess.
    Duane Collie

I considered pricing to be a place holder, nothing more -- a ballpark of whether the Ultra Down may be worth the expense. But thanks for the reminder.

I had a big smile while reading your response Duane. You made my day. I fully understand that my "mileage" (if you will), may be different than yours. But, having your candid, professional opinion, backed by decades of experience, is SOooo MUCH better than guessing!!! I surmise that you would advise similarly if I were so lucky enough to be nearby and in your store. Your the BEST and even MORE so, when considering an expenditure of this magnitude. Your manufacturers should be grateful for your fine & thoughtful representation of their products!

Lastly based on my disability, your suggestion of different fill mixes between the 3 (but same style) chairs, correlates well with my need to have my fanny firmly planted in a recliner for far too many hours. Pressure points develop and having the ability to change from one chair fill to another, sounds quite appealing and in my case, very necessary....Cheers and Happy 2019!!

I sell 50-state as well and think I have more customers in Texas and California that in my home state of Virginia. If you haven't put in for a quote, you can here on the forum under QUOTES section. Often I can save you a little cash as well as giving excellent service and advice.
    Duane Collie

On some of the recliners you can unzip the back cushions and add more fill if needed or fluff it up. Looking at the Powell on H&M's website it looks like a style that could have this but it is hard to tell for sure. Do you know Duane?

I had a similar need where I needed more back support in my recliner (which is similar looking) and I was able to stuff the back bottom cushion fuller with some stuffing my wife had left over from a craft project.

No, you really can't add fill easily. I mean YOU CAN, but its going to be a mess. The fiber fill is in an encased enclosure, a "pillow" if you will. In order to add to that you would have to use a seam ripper to open it up, then re-sew it closed. Some people have used foam wrap to go around the encasement, but that may leave an "edge" you will feel when you lean back. Easiest way is to request a replacement pillow from your selling dealer and ask it be "overfilled". Then H&M will send it to you free of charge.
    Duane Collie