Thread: Sectional Help

Default Sectional Help

I apologize if this isn't the type of question you want asked in this forum, but I've been all over to stores and on the internet and I'm stuck. I can't find answers.

My wife and I are looking to replace our La-Z-Boy couch, recliner and loveseat we purchased just 4 years ago. We've been very disappointed as they wore out very quick. They were not cheap at the time, and with power recliners and a decent polyester finish, we expected more life out of them. However, all of the support in the seat and back is gone where we typically sit. The rest is like new.

We're looking to purchase a sectional to replace it. We have a max of 8' along the short wall and 14' along the longer wall. My wife really likes the Flexsteel Rhapsody (of the Latitude line) since we sat in it. It's a little stiff for me, but with pretty bad lower back problems, it's likely what I need and I'd get used to it. Her complaint is that it's stiff when laying down. For the 6 pieces we're looking at (right facing recliner, console, wedge, two armless recliners and a left facing recliner) it's at $5,200 + extended warranty for fabric damage (another $150 for 10 years).

This isn't the worst price. I'll pay that for something we're in love with and we think will last for years. But after looking around online I'm finding a lot of issues with these. They have the look we're after (very simple, tight lines and corners, not over stuffed, very sleek). I like the power recliner and I think I can deal with it for the most part if it was durable.

All I hear from the salespeople is that "this is very popular and we sell tons of them." They also brag about the entire steel construction (which I found out means just the recliner portion, even though they said all of it is steel) and how amazing the bluespring construction is.

If these are as bad as I am hearing they are, are there any tips for others that are similar to this style from a better manufacturer? Again, the look is ideal for us. Perhaps a little more give in the cushion would be better, as laying on it would be more comfortable. But we want the completely flat cushions so you can lay lengthwise along the couch and power recliners.

Thanks!

Default Re: Sectional Help

Several years ago I was a Flexsteel dealer, I really got the line because one of my good friends wanted to buy six pieces for himself. I was never very impressed with the build quality or tailoring, and that was the USA-made Flexsteel. The Latitudes line of Flexsteel was 100% made in China and I tried one order of it for stock for the store at the pushing of my Flexsteel rep and seriously disliked it. It was built on the cheap, has flaws in several pieces and I vowed to never sell another Latitudes piece again - and I didn't. Eventually I got tired of seeing the generally sloppy and cheap build quality of Flexsteel and closed out the dealership. That was many years ago - they could have improved the line but I have no interest in re-visiting it.

Granted, I am not your typical furniture store owner who will sell anything to anyone if it rings the register bell, and that no doubt costs me many sales over the past three decades. My standard has always been "If I wouldn't have it my house, why would I want to sell it to my customers?" I know what quality looks like and have keen eye for workmanship, so if a brand doesn't pass muster in won't be in my store very long.

The "Blue Spring" that Flexsteel is so proud of is simply blue-painted spring steel like an old car would have from the 1950's. It's a primitive suspension system and nowhere nearly as good as an 8-way hand-tied coil suspension. No, it's not going to rust - but neither to any furniture springs so I don't know why they think it's worthy of advertising? Perhaps because customers don't know a good suspension from a poor one? BTW, only stationary units have that - any motion segment runs on a spring system integrated into the mechanism and that goes for every recliner from every maker.

NEVER buy a warranty on furniture -that's the biggest scam in the business and gets you nothing, and there are loopholes in the contract (read it) so should you ever try to use it you will find it worthless. No ethical dealer will ever sell you one.

I'm not a fan of that many recliners in a sectional. You have a LOT of motion going on, and the pieces are not all that well-made in my opinion. What happens when one of those units fails? Can you get a complete replacement mechanism on a Latitudes? Ask your dealer - they won't know and will have to get back to you on it. Many of the pieces from China have no parts available - so you get a failure and the whole sectional might have to be trashed.

There are a lot of better makers out there, but good stuff costs money. Doubtful you can hit that price point in something like a Bradington Young with that many components in the group. My suggestion would also be to give up the two armless recliners as well - they never fit right and leave gaps where they join. Just get end recliners and check to make sure replacement mechs are available and how much they cost on any brand you decide to go with. Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.