Thread: Starting over...Pictures attached, help with Sofas and Layout

Default Starting over...Pictures attached, help with Sofas and Layout

I posted here a week ago my sad pictures of the current shape of our BY furniture. We are starting over and gutting this room. New carpet, new furniture and paint. I am looking at a Hooker Solstice Console for under the TV and other than that would love suggestions on how to lay out this room. We have a current BY manual recliner which is a little overused (it is a bit lopsided) but we could replace with an unused BY from about 15 years ago from our basement(I included a picture). I know we probably should pull things away from the windows and wall but unsure of the current set up plans. Thinking of purchasing another BY sofa, loveseat and chair and ottoman and pull the old recliner from the basement. The manual recline is a bit of a bugger and we probably should get the a new recliner but the current BY from our basement is unused. I think we are hard on our furniture and agree with the kind gentleman that perhaps reclining sofas may not be in our best interest. Any thoughts on a BY Carrado, West Haven or Warner set and suggestions on the future layout?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8223[1].jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	11571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8228[1].jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	11574   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8224[2].jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	11572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8225[1].jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	11573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8227[1].jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	11575  

Default Re: Starting over...Pictures attached, help with Sofas and Layout

My apologies on the sideways pictures. The last solo chair is currently not in the living room, that is from the basement. Everyone thinks it is a bit ugly and outdated, I do have new matching pillows.

My apologies for continuing to post but just to help a bit on the style and what I am looking for is having the TV be a focal point. (not because it looks great but because that is what everyone does when they are in there-it is an eyesore I know. ) The sound bar will be hung without wires and there will be a dark wood console underneath.
    My initial thoughts were to have 1 sofa with recliners and 1 love seat without across the room from the each other. We could fit a second sofa against the wall with the windows but due to the viewing angle of the TV it really can be too forward. Then I was thinking of a chair with ottoman and recliner in the corner. I just am trying to move in everything a bit so that perhaps the ottoman is more of a coffee table. I was thinking of having the ottoman be fabric or a different color leather to break everything up.
    We would like a different variation on what we currently have but like the arms to have a roll back effect on them. (Doesn't have to be quite as big of a rollback as our current sofas obviously they are dated) Thanks so much!

Yes - its time to replace all your pieces. I'd not use the "old" piece in the room, its going to look..... Old and Dated. You'll remove it from the room once the new product arrives anyways, I can just about guarantee it won't look good.

You can use the furniture hard - that's fine. They key is to stay up on your cleaning and conditioning, and unless I miss my guess your existing pieces didn't get that. At a minimum, do a cleaning/treatment every 6 months, and ideally in a hard-use environment drop that down to every 4 months, or three times a year. Do that and it will come back to you in longevity and will stay looking good.

I like your room layout and decor - and my suggestion would be to come away from the "heavy" looking furniture in darker colors and get pieces in there that have a little more airspace to them and cleaner lines - in a lighter color as well. That will open up your room and make it more inviting. Nothing too radical....

Recliners will not take the heavy use that stationary furniture will, so keep that in mind as well. If you have a recliner that is tilting or lopsided, its broken, and most to that from being mis-treated. Recliners are strong enough when used properly, the damage comes when they are overloaded, someone wrestles in them, sits on the footrest or jumps in and out of them when they are open.

Style-wise something like this unit in B-Y: https://www.bradington-young.com/kan...formation.aspx

In a hide similar to this color - a bit lighter: https://www.bradington-young.com/bra...formation.aspx

What I would really put in your room though, is the H&M Rugby Club series as my top pick (Yes, Its H&M so its more costly);

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...ugby-Club-Sofa

In one of the Cameo Tan Burnished leathers.....that would be so spot-on !
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

You are awesome, thanks so much! I did move the furniture around a bit and we can do the recliner (off to an angle) and a chair and ottoman against the wall that has the windows and pull everything in from against the walls and switch the positions of the sofa and loveseat. I was looking for a reclining loveseat and an 8 way hand tie sofa stationary that is a match but am not able to find one. I am assuming that would be a H&M product line? I really like your color suggestion and I like the couch as well. My husband I think would rather have more of a rolled back arm rest to lean against. Do you think all 4 pieces (5 including an ottoman) should be the same leather or should I put in a fabric recliner to break it up a bit? I think for the first several years I was cleaning and conditioning when daylight savings changed and then the last 5-6 years, I haven't kept up with them. And I have teenage boys. The horsing around with them should have stopped a long time ago. They are in college now, I still think they are rough. They come home and I start screaming, lol. I really appreciate you taking the time!
    Last edited by barbarabuzz; 02-02-2019 at 04:51 PM.

You can get matching loveseat recliner and stationary sofa in Bradington Young - they are probably the best company at offering that.

Rolled arms are over-rated . Most everyone will use a throw pillow if they want to take a nap I find. The more narrow arm actually gives you quite a bit more interior space for the same overall footprint. So that's something to keep in mind if you want to minimize overall space consumption. My favorite example of this are these two H&M units, the # 9840 City and the # 5831-3:

The City Sofa is 83" long with 63" interior width (20" go to the arms)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9840CI_City_SO_PR.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	11580

The Ricki Sofa is 84.5" long with 75" interior width (10" go to the arms)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5831-3_Ricki_SO1_PR.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	11581

For what is essentially the same footprint, you are picking up nearly a foot in interior space width in the Ricki - and that's huge. So that's one more data point to consider.

I'm not a fan of fabric recliners - they wear out too quickly from friction on the materials and you're off the re-upholsterer before you know it. If you want to introduce some fabric pieces into the room I would do it on stationary items. As to all the same hide or not, I would say if they are the same series style, then match them up, if you are changing a series style on one piece, then mix it up.
    Duane Collie

Thanks again! Just to clarify that we were trying to find a BY loveseat RECLINER, where both sides recline, with an 8 way hand tied stationary sofa. That combination I was having trouble finding on line.I did see the Newman 916-70 loveseat with recliners, but the stationary sofa match does not say 8 way hand tied? (916-95)

Looking at it that way, the difference is huge on what you are gaining! He said he likes to have something to lean on, he will be fine and learn to live with something new! I will try and convince him of these dimensions. He is a creature of habit.
    Last edited by barbarabuzz; 02-02-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Yes, all the B-Y stationary is on a hand-tied 8-way spring deck.

I think you will find a cleaner-crisp design that is more airy in the base with a lighter leather color will lift the room for you.
    Duane Collie

Thank you so much! Can I just ask 2 additional questions? In your opinion, do you loose long term comfort and craftsmanship when you choose a reclining sofa vs 8 way hand tied?

Also, do the electric recliner chairs lay as flat as a manual?

I am hoping that is all! I really appreciate you taking the time!

Sure! Ask as many questions as you like - that's the whole purpose of this forum - Education and Advice, and Learning.

My thoughts are stationary sofas are always more durable than the recliner unit from the same maker. Recliners have a lot of moving parts that can break, stationary pieces don't. Those dual recliners sofas are also quite heavy and hard to move around. I bought a Dual Recliner sofa for my media room 17 years ago (Bradington Young) and we still have it. I would not personally buy it again, because I think a stationary sofa with a big ottoman works just as good if not better. Just my opinion. I do like recliners in a chair, however.

Far as I can ascertain, the motorized units and manual ones recline the same amount. None lay truly flat - but you can go back far enough to take a really nice nap in them.
    Duane Collie