Thread: veneer glue??

Default veneer glue??

Hello..I have a pair of JBL L100T Floor Standing Speakers that the veneer is lifting up. These are fairly high end speakers and I hope to repair them if possible.
    I read the wood underneath is something called Braewood. Any advice would be helpful, worse case I guess is to remove all the veneer and putting new on if I can find a close match. thanks

BTW my name is Ronnie from Okla

Default Re: veneer glue??

Try to repair rather than remove. The key when re-gluing is clamping your work and keep it in the clamps for at least 12 hours. They have to be tight, and a good pressure applied. Use plywood or similar to clamp the faces over. Any good wood glue will work, probably will need a syringe to get it in under the veneer. Make sure to use enough glue, too. Apply not to the point of oozing out, but almost. Then the clamps.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks, I noticed that the backside of the veneer has lots of wood fiber in it..hope that doesn't mess it all up

You will need a good bonding surface for the glue to adhere to.
    Duane Collie

That's one of the problems, to get under it to clean the veneer would snap like a potato chip

Braewood is a type of veneer, the wood underneath is probably just a plywood, which is why you see the wood flecks in the glue of the veneer that has peeled away.

Try to take a exacto knife or razor blade and scrape out the glue and debris you can get to from between the veneer and the case but be careful not to crack it too much. Like Duane said, get some wood glue up in there as far and as much as you can and then squeeze it out starting from where the veneer is solid then to the edge, you can wipe off excess with just a paper cloth or rag. Then clamp it or weigh it down if you don't have clamps. Put a block of wood between the clamp and the speaker so it evenly distributes the weight on the section you glued. You might need to wipe off excess glue again once you have the clamp down. Follow the directions on the glue you use, but generally I leave things clamped for at least 24 hours if I'm in no hurry.

EDIT: If the veneer does snap off, just do a good job cleaning the backside and the surface and then glue it back down using the same weight/clamping process. You just have to take a little more care to line it up well. Wood glue is pretty forgiving though since it takes a little bit to set.

This is also why you use a syringe to inject the glue, because you don't have to peel back the veneer that way. I have done a lot of fine woodworking repairs using syringes.
    Duane Collie

I'll give a shot soon as I can get to Home Depot or Lowes....BTW, I read on one of the audio forums a guy took his speakers to a cabinet maker for repairs. Cabinet Maker told him to take all old veneer off fill in any dings himself..$850.00-$1100.00 would be the price..this said to place in 2003
    Thanks again for the help

Replacing veneer requires a much higher skill set than a simple glue-down. You won't find a glue syringe at the hardware store. You need specialty product such as this:

https://woodworker.com/10cc-syringe-...su-910-144.asp
    Duane Collie

If you have Prime, you can get them on Amazon as well. example

Good luck!