Thread: Quality question

Default Quality question

Hi everyone, I purchased a H&M recliner in a protected leather 15 months ago. I just noticed that the leather is already peeling. I purchased a H&M Your Way sofa a month ago and a small spring fell off last week. And I have another H&M sofa on order ...one that I ordered before I noticed these issues. I知 single with no kids so it痴 not like the furniture is being treated rough.

I知 now regretting my order but I知 stuck with it. Am I just unlucky or has the quality of this company gone down over the years?? I ordered this brand because my moms H&M sofa has looked great for 30 years.

I have gone back to the store and even though it痴 been over a year for the chair, they are going to look at both issues. I plunked down some serious coin for this brand so I知 hoping I just got unlucky and it will all be corrected

Anybody that has experience with this brand notice recent quality issues?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	687A9808-2629-4B30-A950-429A669F2AF0.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	11592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7472588F-972C-40BE-8362-08D5DDA914BF.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	11593  

Default Re: Quality question

Answers to your questions, and I know a lot about Hancock & Moore as I'm one of their largest dealers.

1) What you have in the 2nd photo is not leather peeling, that's an impact injury on the footrest of the recliner that scraped the top of the leather and took off a layer of the epidermis. It's akin to falling own and skinning your knee - except the leather is not going to heal obviously. I'm seen dozens of those kind if impact hits over the past thirty years - somewhere along the line your recliner got bumped hard by something. Could have been moving it around, could have been a vacuum cleaner run into it (happens a lot) or the footrest was opened into an abrasive object such as a brick step, etc. You have a finished, or painted leather so that's a fairly easy fix. What I would do is gently sand the area using fine grit sandpaper and feather the edges, then apply a little touch up paint to it - H&M will send that to you free of charge if you know the leather name and color. If you want a more professional repair, you can call in a mobile leather repair service and have them spray it (will cost you $ 75 to $ 125 on average). You can even unscrw both footboard pieces and return them to H&M and they will touch them up for you or replace the leather if you like. Sometimes they charge to replace the leather, sometimes not, but its nominal if they do. That is not a factory defect, sorry.

2) Is the Your Way sofa a stationary unit or a reclining unit? There are no springs like that on a stationary unit - are you positive it came off that piece? If you have a dual recliner, does it still work fine? I have never seen either of those parts in a motion piece. Not saying they didn't come off it, but I've handled a lot of mechanisms and been inside the units and those parts are not familiar. Those parts almost look like they came off a flashlight ... Tell me more about the sofa and how these parts interact with the way its functioning?

Quality has not changed in my opinion. If anything, it gets better every year. I see them making things now they never could have dreamed up twenty years ago. They are smart and ambitious at Hancock and Moore, and pretty cutting edge. They also stand behind their products better than any other supplier in the industry if its a workmanship issue or truly defective.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-06-2019 at 10:20 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Quality question

This is very helpful! Yes it’s a recliner sofa and it works fine. I found this under the middle portion of the sofa. I can’t imagine what it could be. But I feel more assured now. They’re coming out to look at both next week.

Thank you!!