Thread: Help newbie! Power reclining sofa purchase

Threaded View

Default Re: Help newbie! Power reclining sofa purchase

I think it's smarter to go stationary, especially with young kids. Those recliner mechanisms can take a finger off like nobody's business if the kids get to horsing around and playing with them, and sticking hands in the mechs while another plays with the buttons...etc. There is no safety stops in the recliner mechs. I did a video on that which is posted here on the forum showing how easily the mechs can snap a pencil. Kids will be kids, and they are not always a good mix with power recliners. Safety First.

Recliner sofas are VERY hard to move, so if you are planning to relocate, they are much more susceptible to damage in handling and the weight of them is about double of stationary.

In your room I'd go with a sofa, and then a single recliner off to the side. Get a manual one, kids are far less likely to play with those as there is no button to push. A nice ottoman out in front of the sofa make sense, you can keep the cost down considerably by just getting a single Ricki or Arrington ottoman made for the chair. Though a longer one will look better, the chair-size one will do the job for two people to use. H&M will build you a custom length one, too ... so you can take the chair size one and have the length / width / depth extended if you like. Those are all done via custom quotes.

No need to worry about sun damage in particular (having said that UV rays take the color out of everything over time).

Arrington Sofa is a bit more than the Ricki, mostly due to the nail trim and picture frame effect on the back.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-11-2019 at 12:15 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.