Thread: New to forum. Power sofa, leather, and seat cushion advice

Default New to forum. Power sofa, leather, and seat cushion advice

We are looking at purchasing the H&M Rodeo Power Station Reclining Sofa, two Rodeo Loungers, and the George III Tufted Wing Chair. We understand the George III is a VERY different piece from the rodeos, but have a "special" place for it and consider it an art piece. We are utterly overwhelmed with leather selections, trim, nail head and cushions. We will be putting these pieces in a log style home with floor-to-celling lacquered tongue-in-groove white pine and cedar walls with dark knots (see attached photos)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wall2.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	11611Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wall1.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	11610. Very warm and inviting, but difficult to coordinate with leather options. We live in the northwoods, and our snowy cold winters frequently relegate us to the sofa next to a roaring fire in front of the tube binge-watching something or other on Netflix. We wanted a comfortable place to park ourselves during such times. We've had our current mid-range leather set for over 15 years, and like many mid-rangers, it's seen its day. The leather held up beautifully, but not the mechanism and frame. Hence our decision to go with H&M. We're looking for advice and info on our selections, as well as recommendations for leather. We love love the Hand Antiqued Sunset, and were quite disappointed it was discontinued. What leathers would be similar to the Hand Antiqued Sunset? We do like the Hyde Park Cognac and Goucho Mocha burnished as well, but fear the final product may clash with the walls? Thoughts on these selections? Pros? cons? Help? We're dizzy. We have spoken with several dealers/designers, but are disappointed with the lack of knowledge we encountered. Found this forum, which has been quite helpful. Would consider purchasing pieces through Duane.
    Last edited by Wargoletlk22; 02-16-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Default Re: New to forum. Power sofa, leather, and seat cushion advice

H.A. Sunset Burnished was very distinctive and bold. There is a chance they could still make it up for you - would require a phone call to find out. I know the leather was not a tannery drop, they just didn't get enough demand for it (I probably did more orders in it than any other dealer). Closest to it in the current lineup is probably Buckingham Walnut Burnished (more amber) or Weston Cane Burnished (more brown), though the color tones will be different.

I'd not worry too much about clashing with walls - that would probably only be an issue if you were going pure white, a pink, lime green, etc. There's really no way of making a recommendation without seeing a full -room shot.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Would love to know if Hand Antiqued Sunset Burnished could still be made up. Would you be able to check on that for us, or do we? If available, what is a harmonious leather for the 9751 George III chair and what wood finish would you suggest? If not available, Gaucho Mocha Burnished for the sofa and 2 chairs and Tiburon Java for George are the current favorites. Would love to talk specifics and place order this coming week. Have thrown it out on Uship to get a shipping quote, but would welcome your suggestions. Would prefer to keep it crated from manufacturer to home delivery. Do you have any recommendations on cushion core? Is Standard the way to go? Can H&M do custom nail heads (i.e., pinecone or star?).

Thanks for your help!

I will check into the availability of that leather and let you know.

Both good picks on the Gaucho Mocha (burnished leather) and Tiburon Java (Pull-up). Pretty sure the latter will be out of stock though as I just put in a large order for another customer on it yesterday and they had just enough to complete that order, that will have to be re-ordered on the hides so its going to have a wait time.

Uship is hit or miss. You can get a professional mover, or two college kids with a rental U-Haul that show up with no pads. I prefer to use Sun Delivery Service, they are very professional and know how to handle fine furniture. It you want it in the box to your driveway, then you can go with Plycon Van Lines, they offer that service. However, they are glacially slow - they will take 5 to 6 weeks to get it to you vs Sun Delivery in 2 1/2 to 3, and they will be double the price of Sun Delivery. Option 3 is to ship in the factory packing to a loading dock of your choice via specialized furniture carrier. It gets there fast and chance of damage is extremely low, however you will have to arrange to get it the last mile to your home. Many moving and storage companies offer that service.

Cushion cores are simply a matter of preference. I tend to like an Ultra Down Seat in either a burnished leather or pull up hide piece as those leathers are a bit more stiff than some of the others and that softer seat helps compensate for that.

If we can source a particular nail, H&M will install it. You will probably have to find the supplier, acquire the nails yourself and then draw out a detailed placement pattern on how you want them applied.
    Duane Collie

If Tiburon Java is out of stock, and Hand Antiqued Sunset Burnished can be acquired, thoughts on a complimentary leather for George III? Would you ever recommend all pieces (sofa, 2 chairs, George) in the same leather (Hand Antiqued Sunset Burnished)? George will not be seated next to the another pieces, but will be in same room.

Would like to add the 8857 Cromwell Ottoman, and was wondering if it could be tufted?

Any wood finish suggestions for George and the other pieces that would compliment Hand Antiqued Sunset Burnished if available or Gaucho Mocha Burnished? Would Rainer look right on all pieces with the leather selections?

To date (or minute, however you want to look at it), here are our preferences. Please advise on availability:

1. 9030-30PR Rodeo sofa and two 7100 Rodeo chairs in Hand Antiqued Sunset Burnished & 9751 George III Tufted Chair and 8857 Cromwell Ottoman in Tiburon Java (if available), or Hand Antiqued Sunset Burnished (if Java is not available), or suggestions that compliment Hand Antiqued Sunset Burnished? Would George in Burl Cocoa Polished compliment?

2. 9030-30PR Rodeo sofa and two 7100 Rodeo chairs in Gaucho Mocha Burnished & 9751 George III Tufted Chair and 8857 Cromwell Ottoman in Tuscany Harness

Thanks for riding the merry-go-round with us!

The CEO of H&M says its still possible to get Hand-Antiqued Sunset Burnished (I would not wait too long, though).

If that were my home, I'd not do everything in the same leather. The George III chair can stand on its own - and DOES stand on its own. Depending on the color scheme something like Cameo Merlot Burnished would look pretty nice with the Sunset Burnished. Again, without seeing full room photos I can't really advise on color/style.

You would NOT like the price to customize a # 8857 Cromwell Ottoman to make it tufted, but if your wallet is fat enough, they probably would do it. I would estimate $ 800 to $ 1,000 over and above the price of the regular ottoman. You can probably use the Author ottoman as long as you OK with the bun foot design:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...r--and-Ottoman

It has 3" drop in height from the George III chair which is very usable, and its 30.5" Wide while the chair is 44" wide, so that might work well. I have never done this combo before, however it may be an option.

Leather stock change daily, it's the last thing I check on before putting in an order and even though I call and they say there may be some, another dealer's order might be getting key-punched in that same day and take the covers - that happens frequently.

hope that helps
    Duane Collie

Duane,

This is what we're attempting to coordinate around: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190219_074814225_HDR.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	11615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190219_081331120_HDR.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	11616

All wood items in the picture, including tables, walls, and items on the wall, are handcrafted heirlooms. In our humble opinion, nothing beats the one-of-a-kind artisanship of craftsmen that love the feel and turn of a good piece of wood. The rug is also a family handmade piece with several coordinating color options. So, complimenting such items is important to us. You'll note from the photo, we currently have burgundy seaters and are hoping to move away from the one-tone burgundy look. Would not mind hues of burgundy though. The Cameo Mocha for George (as opposed to Cameo Merlot) is rather pleasing, and would definitely consider the 8857 Cromwell Ottoman as is (w/o tufting).

A couple of questions about the Hand-Antiqued Sunset Burnished:
    1. We understand it will be stiffer, squeaky, and slicker. How much so? Are you able to quantify in any way? We don't want to play slip-n-slide.
    2. Is there a way to get that lovely tone variation without the stiffness or slippery feel?

In the unburnished corner, we have several leather samples we've been caressing and love the Tuscany Harness. How do you think that would look on tufted George??

We might just need to speak with you in person, as I fear at this point, we have leather paralysis. What is the best way to contact you directly?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Wargoletlk22; 02-19-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Hi Duane,

Will the Rodeo sofa fit through a 35" max opening?

Do you know accurate dimensions of the crated sofa? (H&M export packs)

Thanks.

I can never say for sure, it would be tight. However the legs on the Rodeo are held on with (3) # 2 Square Drive Screws per leg and they come off, so that's + 2" if need be and that should make it do-able. It's not hard to take them off as long as you have a power screwdriver bit to fit. It will look like a # 2 Phillips in the hole, but it's not. You will strip the heads with a Phillips bit. Bits are $ 1.50 at the hardware store, so be sure to have one on hand as the delivery companies will not.

No, I do not have packed dimensions on any product. I will usually add + 4" to the width of the sofa, + 8" to the height, and + 8" to the length as a estimate if getting a trailer, van, etc to move one in a box.
    Duane Collie