Thread: Leather recommendations for Tavern sofa 5067

Default Leather recommendations for Tavern sofa 5067

Duane, we're considering the Hyde Park Earth Burnished (class 3 unprotected) for a Tavern 5067.

Are there other leathers that you would personally recommend within the same price range.

Thanks,
    --Ralph

Default Re: Leather recommendations for Tavern sofa 5067

The 5067 Tavern sofa is really a handsome piece, and in my mind deserves a good leather to go with it. There is a lot of style in a Tavern sofa and I have never liked them in the basic Chinese painted leathers. It's a classic design that will last many, many years in the home and should have a leather that ages well on the piece. This is one of the top five sofas that have come through my store the past 30 years, its a Tavern (model # 5967 that is no longer offered) that was done in Capri Navy (GR 4) and it was just drop-dead gorgeous. The leather does make a difference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	11655

I would only buy that series in a pure aniline hide. Any of the Burnished leathers (such as Hyde Park, Gaucho, Cameo, Buckingham) or the classic Italian waxy, pull-up leathers like Tuscany or Tiburon would be excellent on it. Those are all GR 3's. If you want to drop back to a GR 2, then look at Atticus, which would make up nice on the unit. There are many others as well - I'd probably steer you away from the finished leathers on that particular piece, the difference in appearance is notable.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks Duane for the quick reply - we'll check out the other leathers that you recommend.

We have a related question regarding the fully tufted seat cushioning of the Tavern sofa 5067 vs. Tavern 5592 with seat cushions.

Knowing that HM provides a lifetime warranty on the internals of seat cushions (not the external leather) as in the 5592, given equivalent usage patterns can we expect the internals of the fully tufted seats of the 5067 to not degrade over time. I know from another post you've stated that the internals of most seat cushions just need re-fluffed vs. replaced. One can't really re-fluff the tufts. Are we giving up some longevity here?

Unfortunately, we are short people with short legs and the 5067 SH is 2" less than the 5592 (18.5 vs. 20.5 respectively). The 5592 seat depth is 3/4" less than the 5067. Even though the 5067 has a 22.5" seat depth, the wife is very comfortable with it whereas any other sofa with seat cushions we found that has a 22" or greater inside seat depth required a pillow behind her.

To be honest, I can't see much difference between the 5967 (discontinued) and the 5067 unless it's the curved front of the 5967. The 5067 we saw in showroom had a curved from.

H&M doesn't really have a "lifetime warranty" per se on seat cores, its just something they do for their customers. As such, you won't find it in writing and that program could be terminated in the future. Just a data point on that.

As to a tufted seat sofa, I have never - ever seen one "sack out" or degrade from use in the seat - just doesn't happen. Painted leathers (finished, like Document) won't hold up over time, the paint degrades after several decades. The pure anilines will just go and go and go. If you keep that piece out of direct sunlight and clean / condition it regularly, it likely will outlast all of us.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

For what it's worth I have had a H&M tufted sofa with a tufted seat (Chesterfield) for probably about 8 years and I don't think it feels much different than when I got it. It is our side couch so it isn't sat on as much as our main one but it has seen plenty of use over the years including a bunch of toddler gymnastics and it is still very comfortable.

Thanks for your input

Dan, could you share which leather and nail trim is on your Chesterfield?

Thanks

It is a black aniline, I think Avalon Espresso (or similar, I don't remember for sure and the names change over the years). No nails, just welts on ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Danw99 View Post
    It is a black aniline, I think Avalon Espresso (or similar, I don't remember for sure and the names change over the years). No nails, just welts on ours.
    Thanks again

Thanks again