Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with room layout?

Default Help with room layout?

Spent the last 5-6 hours reading based on a google search - thanks for the great forum! I'm torn between trying to figure out what to get, sofa/loveseat/chair or a sectional combination but was hoping to pick y'all's brain first in terms of layout.

The great room to the bottom left is about 20 x 20. On the east side, with a walkway the furniture would have to start 30" into the room. On the west side, the hearth comes into the room 52". Need to keep walkways on the North and South sides, budgeting generous walkways at 4'6" that would leave around 130" for the width of a sofa/sectional. Another constraint would be on the South side, where the stair into the room starts at about 100" in.

Facing TV to the west and facing the sliders where the view is to the North are other distinguishing features. Initial thought was a L shape facing west and North.
    It's a more traditional house with a 10 and 14 year old, would like a little more seating for guests if needed. Not opposed to chair/swivel or a sectional with a chaise or loveseat combo. Some sort of coffee table (if it fits) in the middle of the room.

Thanks a lot!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	267 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	11656

Default Re: Help with room layout?

its difficult to make a layout recommendation from a blueprint - would be better is you can post four photos of the room - one from each corner looking in. That way space becomes more apparent, lighting, colors, existing pieces, etc. However based just on the blueprint, I would probably suggest a sectional with a swivel chair in the opposite corner. Skip the coffee table, they are knee knockers and a nice cocktail ottoman allows you to bring it up to the sectional for really comfy move and game watching.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

As requested, here are some quick pictures. Apologize for the mess, we just moved in!

Name:	20190304_125257.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	11669

Name:	20190304_125311.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	11670

Name:	20190304_125330.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	11671

Name:	20190304_125342.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	11672

Nice looking home, congratulations.

I'm going to stay with the suggestion of a L-shaped sectional with cocktail ottoman in the middle that can be pulled up to the main body, and then a swivel chair near the fireplace corner. That will give you quite a bit of seating without crowding the room, plus preserve your views out the window.
    Duane Collie

Thanks Duane! I actually found your site based on a google search that found this thread (http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-modest-budget) that I am using for reference.

A sectional configuration size wise seems to fit well because of that stair on the south side of the room (something about 120"x100"). I know I've priced Vanguard and Sherrill sectionals in fabrics at the $5K mark. I'd like to stay in this range if possible. In the thread you had mentioned TK or BY sectionals @ about $4K and $5K in Performance and GR1 Leather. Is that still accurate at this time?

What I have a hard time with is not to think about what you mention in that thread about doing 2 H&M city sofas. I'm not sure it'd fit as well due to the lengths. Also thinking about traditional sofa/loveseat combo or a sofa and 2 chairs. What do you think about those configurations? Say sofa facing on the east side of the room and either loveseat on south, or 2 chairs on south or 1 south and 1 northwest?

I will have to figure out what the H&M configurations would be. I will submit some price quote information and hope to see what you think about the configuration options in this room.

Thanks again!

$ 5K is about average for a good quality sectional in fabric, so those are pretty much in-line on the pricing you recieved.

Bradington Young is going to push up above that a little, I'd estimate closer to $ 6,500 in leather (GR1). Having noticed the 75" TV you are putting in the home, I assume this room is going to get a LOT of use and the leather is going to last 4x longer than any of the fabrics (regardless of maker). High-use room? Leather is less expensive to own overall (though you will have a higher initial buy cost).

City sofas - a pair of 9840's - I think they will probably be too small for this room. You need some larger format pieces. H&M Sectionals are going to be $ 10K, so they are probably out - I'd possibly stay with Bradington Young as its closer to your target price. I would probably look at a L-Shaped sectional such as this series for your room. It's about the right size, is USA-made, and while not H&M, it's certainly decent.

Name:	229-57-58-68-room.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	11673

Pricing this out with a loveseat, the curved wedge, and sofa on the other end it comes to $ 6,173 (cash price, credit cards add 3%) + delivery fees to wherever you are located.

Items # 229 series, items -57 Loveseat, -68 Wedge, - 84 Sofa. Will measure out appx 96" x 119".

And at some point a swivel chair opposite the sectional and a cocktail ottoman like in the photo.

Hope that helps.
    Duane Collie

Hi Duane,

Still poring over the ideas. My wife likes the sectionals but she did point out that we would have no room for floor lamps. What do you think about a September Sofa and Loveseat in an L configuration. Measurement wise it seems that would be slightly larger than a sectional, do you think that's substantial enough?

Do the BY sectional vary much in price by series? We like the 221 traditional look. Is the L -93 + -84 more affordable than the curved? We are looking at the leather choices now, boy there are a few. We would like something brown (cool, less warm maybe darker). Do you have recommendations in the L1/L2? Heavy use with 2 kids + cat, wipe off hard to stain preferred. I know you love the aniline but I don't think it's possible for us.

Thanks again!

Yes, I think you can successfully do the September Sofa and Loveseat in the space. The good part is they are on Promotion in the Just In Time program, will ship fast and the Document Copper looks really good on them (there is a photo here on the forum if you do a search). In that promo, sofa and loveseat are the same price and will come in around the B-Y sectional price. Its a higher build quality than Bradington Young, too.

The B-Y sectionals are all about the same price in stationary, they don't vary much from one style to the next. They have a lot of good GR 1 hides, no need to move to GR 2.
    Duane Collie

Here is the link to the September photos in the JIT Document Copper.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ember+document
    Duane Collie

Thank all. Still trying to think about what might work best, we have moved moving boxes into the space to approximate the size of the sectional - it's quite comical!

The September JIT Document Cooper seems really reddish. Our color scheme (dark brown with no warmth) and green/blue with grey undertones likely won't work with it. Old old chairs and table look orange and red compared The Viking Chestnut option seems really orange...

The Journey series Document Tabacco seems closest to what we would like color wise, but darn - that adds a lot to the bill!

Would really like the quality of the H&M but struggling asthetically which looks better, sectional or sofa/lovesea. Anyone want to chime in and flip a coin for us? Here's the sectional:
    (https://www.bradington-young.com/sec...formation.aspx)

(Sofas referenced above for thread archive and comparison
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ember+document
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...iking+chestnut
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...cument-Tobacco)